Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
He said he is 6/2 . Correction on the weights DR 366 lbs, KLR 432 lbs. I'm 6 ft with a 32 in inseam & the Honda works for me?
Yeah. He said he was 6'2" and the seat height on the KLR was too much. Well the seat height on a KLR is 35".
That's 2" lower than the XR.
I just find it odd that he has a problem with the seat height when he is so tall.
Unless he has short legs and a short inseam.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
I thought the dr650 was 360 pounds...
60 pounds over weight, but it is a strong 650.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
I think they are all great bikes & all have their strong points & weak points.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tarr View Post

I've been thinking about getting a dual sport for awhile now, and over the past few days have been doing some heavy research into what I want.

Easy maintenance.
Very comfy on the road.
Can take it on trails (even if its more hassle than a dirtier bike)
All I can say is choose wisely......for a wordy post you didn't mention what type of off-roading you want to do......gravel roads, unpaved, swampy mud, single track......look for an inmate local who will let you hop on his scoot for a test.

Do you want a dirt bike with a street legal plate to get to kick ass trails, or a street bike with knobbies to go on unpaved roads?

.......and fill out your profile, we don't even know what state your in for terrain use!
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I think a WR250R or DRZ400S is what you are looking for.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
The height issue of a klr or Dakar goes away quick. I'm 5'8 and have no problems. Try it. I'd get a used Dakar or new klr.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
71olds
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,101
Ok I have had a DR650 XR650l DRZ400s & KLR650.

I am 5'11 205

DR650 is the lowest has a super soft suspension feels lighter then it is as the seat hight is so low.
Sold it to a buddy who still has it with no problems ever.
I then bought a XR650l Bike was tall way way way better suspension then the DR650 but hated it on rocks as it was too tall for me then lowered it with a lowering link & slid the fork tubes & it turned the bike around for me. oved it & still miss it
Sold it to buy my Husky te510
At the same time I bought a DRZ400 as tall as the XR but more slim so I did not need to lower it, Bike has been great heads & tails better then the DR or XR off road but I have modded the bike so that it it worthless for anything then connecting the trails. But was pretty lousy street bike.

Well now I have 2 pretty much all off road bikes so I bought a KLR650 If I only had 1 bike this may be it. Will go anywhere the DR or XR will go but not as fast. Bike is heavy and feels like it.

So the question is how much street use will you do?? you have a street bike so I would kick the KLR out because of that.
Then If you want to ride 5 miles to the trails & then ride some single track I would go DRZ400

If you want to be able to commute to work 25 miles & still ride trails I would go DR650 or XR650l
DR650 will be more forgiving to learn on the low seat will inspire confidence & soft suspenion will take less out of you at a moderate pace.
When you get better & faster the DR650 will bottom & feel underspung & you will want a XR650l.

My suggestion is to buy used & after a year you will know what you want.

Also the KLR & DR650 have a odd 17in rear tire makes for less choice of tires not a big deal but something to think about I think the Dr350 has a 18in rear & if you change the rear rotor will bolt up.

Also spent some time on a DR350s. This bike is super easy to lean on granny 1st low seat super soft. & not a lot of power. Great learning dual sport but you will sell it after a season for one of the others.
00 Suzuki DRZ400S

71olds screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:44 PM
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
dr650 have 6 speeds, drz only 5, just an FYI.
DR650 is 5 speed.

I'll chime in another +1 for the DR. I have one. I know there are a lot of KLR Vs DR debates. I have owned 3 Kawasaki road bikes and was given a KLR as a courtesy bike each time they went in for any work. They are big and seem to have a lot of breakable plastic bits but I have no evidence they they would break off. All I know is that after being a kwakka boy for years (ZX6, Z1000, ZX10) I bought a DR and am very happy with it.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
DR650 with upgraded suspension and Procycle peg lowering kit.
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
DR650 is 5 speed.

I'll chime in another +1 for the DR. I have one. I know there are a lot of KLR Vs DR debates. I have owned 3 Kawasaki road bikes and was given a KLR as a courtesy bike each time they went in for any work. They are big and seem to have a lot of breakable plastic bits but I have no evidence they they would break off. All I know is that after being a kwakka boy for years (ZX6, Z1000, ZX10) I bought a DR and am very happy with it.
DR650 has a wider ratio 5 spd
DRZ400 has a narrow ratio 5 spd.
if you spend time on the hwy above 60 you'll not like the DRZ
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
TOO UGLY! Comon Man!!
Very Nice XRL I will add a well prepped DRZ for those that wanna see what a few bucks and work will do for the DRZ 400S.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #27
Johnny Tarr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Since people are wondering how much time on the stree vs how much time in the dirt:

The average excursion this bike is intended for is 200-500 miles of highway followed by a few days of off road of varying extremes, then the trip back home. I need whatever I get to be reliable too, because it will likely be what I take into Mexico next year. Preferably something I can fix myself.

If it matters, I'm also considering a Ural. And yeah, to all the people recommending Suzuki, I haven't ruled them out yet, its just a an hour to the nearest dealer so I haven't been up close with them yet.

And to the guy with the honda, I respect that the look works for some people. For me its the matte red and white, and the headlight that I can't throw in with.

Note I said highway, not interstate. I don't take bikes onto the slab, so we're talking 55-65 mph speeds.

edit, more info: Price range is 2-6k, but I'd like to stay under 4 (used).

Johnny Tarr screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:29 PM
Johnny Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #28
big_papa_nuts
n00b

Seat height isn't much of an issue under real world conditions, and the are multiple options to lower a KLR.

KLR is a great bike on the highway, best of the 650 and under options especially for the price, and good enough off road to get you there. But I will say it doesn't handle actually trails, especially more technical ones, that well. So if you intend on riding it like a dirt bike (at all) you'd be better off modding a XRL, DR, DRZ or similar to be better on the highway then trying to take a KLR on the trails.

I'm actually thinking of dumping the KLR for a DRZ just to be able to ride the trails more. And I wouldn't be afraid to ride it across the county, with a few mods. I think the DRZ seems the most KLRish as far as build, aftermarket, maintenance, ect.
big_papa_nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #29
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tarr View Post
Hey guys. This is my first post here after lurker for most of the year. Yaay. Ok, anyway. I've been thinking about getting a dual sport for awhile now, and over the past few days have been doing some heavy research into what I want. After a lot of debate, and a lot of reading the back and fourth here, I decided I wanted a KLR.

Yes, I know it has downsides. But It fit everything I wanted it to do.

Easy maintenance.
Very comfy on the road.
Can take it on trails (even if its more hassle than a dirtier bike)

Well, I went on down to my local Honda/Kawasaki dealership and found their KLR650 display. Wow. First impression, this thing is HUGE. I ride a ninja 650r, and I was expecting something like that but a bit taller. Not by a long shot. This bike is massive, and tall. I threw my leg over and was quite shocked when I realized that my toes were barely on the ground. I'm 6'2, and had to stretch to hold myself and the bike up comfortably. I have no idea how anyone shorter than me could hope to ride it.

Second impression: This thing is heavy. It didnt really feel top heavy like many here describe it, just tall + heavy. So heavy that combined with the height, I wasnt sure if I'd be able to pick it up if I dropped it.

So after deciding the bike was plain out too large for what I wanted, I asked the rep to show me the next bike down that they had, and he showed me the KLX250 (Though he claimed it was 230.) This bike LOOKED closer to what I was looking for. But I'm a big guy. 6'2, 240lbs. When I sat on it, it was small. And light. I loved the weight, but im not sure if I like the size. If I was -2 inches and -50 pounds, I'd probably be looking for one online right now.

So, I just don't know what to do. The KLR650 is too big, the KLX250 is to small. The BMW DAKAR and anything by KTM are out of my pricerange, so please dont suggest them. The Honda crf230 was also too small, and the honda 650 was too ugly for me to consider.

The Tiger and Vstrom are as large and heavy as the KLR, right? I'm going to try to find a suzuki dealer so I can scope out the DRZ400. If that doesnt pan out, ill just have to choose between too heavy but comfy, or light, but not comfy.
Put your location in your profile. Maybe somebody local to you would let you try a few bikes.

I really like my DR650SE. It's no 250lb woods bike, or 600lb+ touring bike, but it can chase either one on the same day. It's not prone to overheating, like air-cooled or water-cooled bikes can be. It's subframe will carry a serious load for travel/camping. The motor is smooth on slab and torquey on trails. Parts and accessories are easy to source. The 5spd tranny has a decent gearspread to cover both slab and trail situations. They can be found pretty inexpensively. Customize it with a comfortable seat, a long-range fueltank, and decent carbing. Upgrade the suspension and tires when you want more performance. My DR is now more comfortable/capable to ride across the country than my streetbike is, and it'll still run the sugarsand around here like a fat dirtbike. It's a GREAT bike for exploring the world by slab or trail, then commuting during the week with a grin on your face.

Now...Big news on the 40-50lb-lighter, water-cooled, DR-Z400S with fully-adjustable suspension, is that the aftermarket now offers a wide-ratio gearset. The DR-Z400S and DR650SE make similar stock WHP, but the DR makes big torque down low. It rides like a taller, skinnier, utility quad. The down-low tractoring torque is almost funny, especially with a flat-slide pumper carb swapped on. Either bike can be tuned to make 50WHP+ and considerably more torque than stock. The DR-Z is more of a revver, like a sport quad, but even the DR seems fine with getting spun up a bit. It's not known for burning a lot of oil at sustained high revs, like many thumpers are, and I like hearing it's throaty song going down the interstate on-ramps. Neither Suzuki is a race-oriented screamer though, even if people DO sometimes race them.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
Johnny Tarr OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando
Put your location in your profile.
Done.

And based on the replies so far, I'm liking the DR650. Just need to get out and find one to try out.
Johnny Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote