ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #14506
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
How does it feel to leave the old oil burner klr behind and ride a real bike welcome to the club i love my xc800 as well i got rid of my klr for a triumph 800xc and never looked back
i will know soon enough! another year till i graduate then that will be my present to myself! trading in the KLR for something smaller to play with in the dirt and then getting an 800xc! still a little edgy btwn the 800 and the 800 xc... why one over the other (for me i just like the looks better)
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #14507
viper770
Studly Adventurer
 
viper770's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas The land of oz
Oddometer: 575
Wicked

I wanted something smaller than my 800xc to play in the dirt and stuff so i bought a 2012 yamaha wr250r so between the yamha and the tiger im in complet bliss the xc will do everthing the regular 800 will do and even with the tkc80s my xc is awsome in the twistys as well it does every thing very well i bought my tiger 800xc brand new in april and i have over 17,000 miles on mine and still counting
__________________
2012 YAMAHA WR250R
2013 KAWASAKI KLR650
"Take the long way home"
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #14508
greasy rider
adventurer
 
greasy rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Central, Tx
Oddometer: 11
Dealer error or software bug ?

Sorry for the long post.

I took my t800xc in for the 6000 mile service yesterday. When leaving to today after picking the bike up i immediately notice that the check engine light came on and that the speedometer was reading zero at any speed. I promptly turned around and headed back to the dealer where they pulled it in the shop and started looking at it. They got back with after a half hour ( kudos for the quick diagnosis ) and this is the story i got. When they hooked the bike up to the computer to check for any codes and sync the throttle bodies the computer prompted for a tune update. The tech went ahead and let triumphs auto configuration program run and loaded the new tune. The explanation gets kind of fuzzy at this point,but in the end the non abs tune ended up on a abs bike and since the abs models pull the speed from the wheel sensors and not the crankcase sensor the tune isn't able to give the computer a vehicle speed. The computer also kicks a check engine light for a speed sensor fail because their isn't a speed sensor on the bike to read. The computer wont let them load the right tune so they are going to call triumph in the mourning to see what they can do. I planned on leaving for a 4day trip/vacation in the mourning and am now frustrated and need a drink.
greasy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #14509
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,478
That sucks. Even though I do my own work I guess the same philosophy can be applied - give yourself a week or two between doing anything major to the motorcycle and starting a trip if possible. Even though the service wasn't major you were still putting it in the hands of the dealer and who knows what can get wrong at that point. Hopefully they get it sorted soon.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #14510
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy rider View Post
Sorry for the long post.
What really sucks is that they obviously did not post-service check AT ALL. No test ride, not even around the lot. I'd try to avoid that dealer in the future. No matter what they do, they don't check the work they've done.

Hope you can figure something out for your trip.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #14511
greasy rider
adventurer
 
greasy rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Central, Tx
Oddometer: 11
The only plus is that their is a store that sells beer within walking distance of my apartment.


Edit: The store was closed.

greasy rider screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:58 PM
greasy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #14512
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.
 
NoobIAm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy rider View Post
The only plus is that their is a store that sells beer within walking distance of my apartment.
Sounds like you're gonna be drinkin' a lot of it if you keep doing business there.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #14513
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
Hey Guys,
I've been lurking for a couple of years and thought I'd join up and show off my new bike. Traded in a 2008 KLR for this 2013 Tiger 800. Ordered in July and just came in last week. I wanted to wait for one in Explorer blue. I'm glad I waited.
I test rode numerous bikes and did massive research (thanks to this site) before deciding the T800 would best fit my style of riding.

Accessories include Triumph factory front beak fender, radiator guard, crash bars, skid plate, larger windscreen, handguards, and headlight protector. Added Rox risers (these were a great addition), SW-Motech racks and the TraX boxes. Top rack and box yet to come. Still working through the break-in period before my first trip.
Darrell
If you lay a tape measure from the bike's centerline to the outside of each TraX box, are they symmetrical?

I really dislike some of the BMW GS systems where one box clearly sticks out further than the other.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #14514
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy rider View Post
Sorry for the long post.

I took my t800xc in for the 6000 mile service yesterday. When leaving to today after picking the bike up i immediately notice that the check engine light came on and that the speedometer was reading zero at any speed. I promptly turned around and headed back to the dealer where they pulled it in the shop and started looking at it. They got back with after a half hour ( kudos for the quick diagnosis ) and this is the story i got. When they hooked the bike up to the computer to check for any codes and sync the throttle bodies the computer prompted for a tune update. The tech went ahead and let triumphs auto configuration program run and loaded the new tune. The explanation gets kind of fuzzy at this point,but in the end the non abs tune ended up on a abs bike and since the abs models pull the speed from the wheel sensors and not the crankcase sensor the tune isn't able to give the computer a vehicle speed. The computer also kicks a check engine light for a speed sensor fail because their isn't a speed sensor on the bike to read. The computer wont let them load the right tune so they are going to call triumph in the mourning to see what they can do. I planned on leaving for a 4day trip/vacation in the mourning and am now frustrated and need a drink.
Isn't there software out there that will let you correct this?

Oh yeah, I guess you would need an OBD connector to do this. I have one that came with my Cobb Accessport that tunes my Subaru WRX. I am thinking of downloading the software so that I can maintain this kind of stuff myself. You can also find out what kind of coded triggered the check engine light with a tool like this.

BTW, Autozone or a similar type of shop may have one you can borrow so that you can do it yourself. I am sure there is a lot of info on the forums about this.

That being said, I will be going to my dealer soon for my 6000 mile. How much $ did it run you?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #14515
greasy rider
adventurer
 
greasy rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Central, Tx
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Isn't there software out there that will let you correct this?

Oh yeah, I guess you would need an OBD connector to do this. I have one that came with my Cobb Accessport that tunes my Subaru WRX. I am thinking of downloading the software so that I can maintain this kind of stuff myself. You can also find out what kind of coded triggered the check engine light with a tool like this.

BTW, Autozone or a similar type of shop may have one you can borrow so that you can do it yourself. I am sure there is a lot of info on the forums about this.

That being said, I will be going to my dealer soon for my 6000 mile. How much $ did it run you?

JG
The invoice was 295 but i bought the dealer service plan when i got the bike. I ride enough that the 3 years free maintenance will pay for itself about twice over. So far seven months and 6000 miles. The only thing is that they are trying to get out of paying for the chain rubbing strip on the swing arm that the owners manual specifies to replace every 6000 miles. I need to pull the contract and re read what it says.

Edit: The contract has in big bold letters UNLIMITED SERVICES AS SPECIFIED IN OWNER'S MANUAL AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER. As their is no disclaimer as to what applies and what doesnt i plan on taking the manual and contract with me the next time im their and let them look at the plainly worded replace at 6000. Im not usualy this much of an a$%hole but i dont like paying for stuff i dont recieve.

greasy rider screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:37 PM
greasy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #14516
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Even though the service wasn't major you were still putting it in the hands of the dealer and who knows what can get wrong at that point.
I had the 12K service done at the dealer because I wasn't comfortable doing the valves myself. I got the bike home and 500ish miles later pulled the rear wheel to change the tire. Rear pads were shot. Toast. Maybe, 500 miles until grinding. Jeez.

I feel sorry for those that depend on dealers for service. They didn't mention anything to me about my brakes, then what? I know there are some good ones out there. Choose wisely folks! I took the old pads back and the sales guy was pissed. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much control over service at the Harley dealer
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #14517
greasy rider
adventurer
 
greasy rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Central, Tx
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy rider View Post
I'm not usualy this much of an a$%hole but i dont like paying for stuff i dont recieve.
After looking up the part and seeing that its only six bucks it might be better just bite the cost instead of getting into a pissing match and ruining any sense of goodwill i have with the service department. Since i have to keep coming back for maintenance for the next two and a half years, or pay for the parts to do it myself.
greasy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #14518
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I had the 12K service done at the dealer because I wasn't comfortable doing the valves myself. I got the bike home and 500ish miles later pulled the rear wheel to change the tire. Rear pads were shot. Toast. Maybe, 500 miles until grinding. Jeez.

I feel sorry for those that depend on dealers for service. They didn't mention anything to me about my brakes, then what? I know there are some good ones out there. Choose wisely folks! I took the old pads back and the sales guy was pissed. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much control over service at the Harley dealer
I just finished doing the valves on my wife's Street Triple, wasn't too bad, a little more room than on my Honda CBF, there's just a ton of connectors and hoses to get the air box off. All the valves were in spec so I didn't have to pull the cams, two were just at the spec but I figure within spec is within spec so they're good till next time. I got the bike all back together and tried starting it but no fuel pump? Had to go pick up my wife and it hit me, I had forgotten to plug in the spark plug coils. I was taking my time and being methodical but I must have tucked the connectors up out of the way while checking the valves. So now I have to pull the whole entire thing apart again! I really wish I could fire the guy or just yell at him, but it wouldn't do any good. At least I work cheap.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #14519
riverman
Life is great !
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 161
Darrel - great looking bike my man! I have been waiting to see pictures of the blue as that is what I will be ordering. Looks fantastic. Don't be shy of posting some more pics taken from different angles.

Viper770- we will have the same bike combination. I have a "11 WR250R and will be getting a Tiger XC after I sell the Goldwing. I had a KLR for three years as well so it sounds like we also share a history.
__________________
Rory aka "Riverman"

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #14520
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I just finished doing the valves on my wife's Street Triple, wasn't too bad, a little more room than on my Honda CBF, there's just a ton of connectors and hoses to get the air box off. All the valves were in spec so I didn't have to pull the cams, two were just at the spec but I figure within spec is within spec so they're good till next time. I got the bike all back together and tried starting it but no fuel pump? Had to go pick up my wife and it hit me, I had forgotten to plug in the spark plug coils. I was taking my time and being methodical but I must have tucked the connectors up out of the way while checking the valves. So now I have to pull the whole entire thing apart again! I really wish I could fire the guy or just yell at him, but it wouldn't do any good. At least I work cheap.
Well, that's just it; you didn't have to pay someone for the mistake.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014