Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #25351
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
There's not much forgiveness for a miscalculation of distance to the ground though. I've touched down a pedal in a crit and it cost me a top 4 finish since it was on the last turn of the last lap. Just bad judgement in an off-camber turn and I was in the weeds hanging on for dear life at 30mph. Now imagine the same scenario on a MTB trail with immovable objects just waiting inches away from the trailside. You know how tight some of those trails at Santos are. Vortex is a perfect example. Fast, rolling and blind turns.
Makes sense, I suppose. I was just trying to think of a way to avoid scrubbing off so much speed in the turns. Gotta climb higher on the Strava leader board, you know.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #25352
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,901
I started riding in June of this year with a 20 mile ride outside Taos. I also had my worst crash while riding a bike that trip, and still have a decent scar and discolored area on my arm to prove it. The cause was two fold: 1) inexperience with a 190 degree turn and 2) I had the inside pedal down. It caught in the ground and I INSTANTLY went flying. The place in the ground where the pedal had dug in was probably about 4 inches deep I am not racing, I do this for fun and exercise, so I stop pedaling and keep the outside foot down in turns now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Been watching some race videos filmed at Santos, and I noticed that most (all?) the racers stop pedaling when they go into a turn, keeping the outside foot at the 6 O'Clock position until the turn exit. It looks to me like they could avoid losing speed by pedaling through the turns. Or is that unsafe?
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #25353
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Yea, I got a pair on the Ridley, 32 hole with 14 guage spokes on 105 hubs. I've got 1500 km on em so far .no problems. they seem sturdy enough.I'm a pretty big guy 238#

Their web site says they are touring rims I don't know if i'd use them for that.The LHT has Alex Adventurer rims on it 5000 mi of hard riding and no problems.
their touring builds with the dyads use a 40 spoke rear ... thats gonna be pretty damn strong.

i was thinking 36 rear, 32 front for my city thrasher.

meh. was gonna try for 10 miles today, but the 5 yesterday and 4 on sunday left my wasted-away right calf muscle aching today. and my foot hurts too much if I try and flex my ankles while pedaling (heel down at the bottom, toes down at the top, 't ain't happening yet)

I picked a new bottle cage for it (that got destroyed in the car wreck, too), along with a speedo/computer so I can track mileage better.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #25354
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
I clipped a pedal on a tree root two Sun.s ago Guy behind me did the same thing. I didn't go down, but foot + immovable object = bad.

Another reason to stop pedaling is to weight the outside pedal. Drive the bike into the ground. Keeps the knobbies digging into the ground and not sliding out.

Ridge: Anyone showed you how to sprint standing up thru a corner? Can be done, but there's a trick to it.

M
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #25355
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I clipped a pedal on a tree root two Sun.s ago Guy behind me did the same thing. I didn't go down, but foot + immovable object = bad.

Another reason to stop pedaling is to weight the outside pedal. Drive the bike into the ground. Keeps the knobbies digging into the ground and not sliding out.

Ridge: Anyone showed you how to sprint standing up thru a corner? Can be done, but there's a trick to it.

M

I had a downhill guy suggest weighting the outside pedal after he watched me loop out on a dh run and it was an amazing tip; fast corners, even in loose soil/rocks, are much easier to pin with as much weight on that outside pedal as possible. I usually bring the inside pedal to twelve o'clock when setting up for a corner.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #25356
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:

M
I was standing on the pedals through the turns as I do in crits... but assumed the body position of a flat-tracker sliding through the turns. Using my whole body to shift and move the bike underneath me. My tires really were holding me back both races. As you can see below.

My tires on left and a traditional cross tire on the right. That's being rectified as I type this!

Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #25357
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Fango front, Grifo back seems to be the best all-round racing combo for the east coast.

PDX tires seem to do OK as a front when paired with pretty much anything in the back

I've got a Tufo Dry 32 stretching. I'm gonna try a file tread rear, Grifo front 'soon.'

M
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #25358
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Cross practice session last nite. Ugh. Legs no worky again.

We did 2 x 3lap races. There was 5 of us. DFL the first one. Second to last the second. Mind you, I'm riding with the Cat 1s and 2s here, so its to be expected, but its still frustrating.

Fixin to go out with a buddy here in about an hour. We'll see how my legs feel. (and hope this headache goes away!)

M
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #25359
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Cross practice session last nite. Ugh. Legs no worky again.
Seems to be common here lately. I know nothing of your workout routines, but do you do any exercising other than riding bikes? Your legs may need a few days off.

Just a thought, nothing personal.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #25360
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Seems to be common here lately. I know nothing of your workout routines, but do you do any exercising other than riding bikes? Your legs may need a few days off.

Just a thought, nothing personal.
Partly that and partly I peaked for VA state crit champs but never rode em. Now I'm off 'top form' and while the head sez 'just do it!' the legs say 'no effing way dood!'

M
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #25361
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,158
Glad I found this thread!

Started cycling a couple of months back on a Trek Hard Tail 4300.

Got the road bug because I like speed and distance so I found a brand new Gios Drop which turned out to be a cyclocross bike(I had no clue).

Usually put 70 to 100 plus miles per week with one longer ride of 40 to 80 miles per week. Working on getting to the century and possibly doing some touring.

So far it has received a rack, speedplay frog peddles(my knees have been saved!), shorter stem to reduce reach, and tomorrow will get a nashbar full carbon fork with FSA Gossamer brake. Also have saddle bags and lights.

Need to learn the art of hydration and nutrition here in the desert as well as get a seat that will coddle past 30 miles.

When I ride I always breathe through my mouth and it is always parched.

Any suggestions on a seat? I think I have narrow sit bones.

Also, touring groupset? It has Sora running gear with Sugino triple crank. I want less moving parts and tiagra or 105 dual chain ring, and assorted running gear.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #25362
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,654
I feel the need to apologize for those of you in my neck of the woods experiencing this cold snap - and maybe even a little snow. I think I know why...the bike fairy came to see me yesterday

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #25363
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post

Got the road bug because I like speed and distance so I found a brand new Gios Drop which turned out to be a cyclocross bike(I had no clue).

Usually put 70 to 100 plus miles per week with one longer ride of 40 to 80 miles per week. Working on getting to the century and possibly doing some touring.

So far it has received a rack, speedplay frog peddles(my knees have been saved!), shorter stem to reduce reach, and tomorrow will get a nashbar full carbon fork with FSA Gossamer brake. Also have saddle bags and lights.

Need to learn the art of hydration and nutrition here in the desert as well as get a seat that will coddle past 30 miles.

Also, touring groupset? It has Sora running gear with Sugino triple crank. I want less moving parts and tiagra or 105 dual chain ring, and assorted running gear.
I'm no expert like some here who really do know what they're talking about.

But regarding hydration, i've been led to understand that if your mouth feels dry you're already dehydrated. It's just not critically dehydrated like you see in the westerns or in Africa etc.

I get around that by taking a few sips about every five minutes or so. I try to eat something (granola bar, Gu gel, candy bar) every 30 minutes or so.

I have the advantage of riding the same route though. So I know my waypoints for food. I hydrate everytime I get stopped by a traffic light.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #25364
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,898
Went out again last night.

The gods were against me. Wind in my face going downhill, dead legs, just couldn't work up any speed or spin. On the first longish downhill on Balboa I normally manage 19mph easily as i'm still fresh and its a slight downhill, but a long one. 17mph, and struggling at that. The lights are timed for 40mph. At 19 mph i'm squeezing in a sprint here and there and basically getting all greens. At 17, every light stops me. Wonderful.

I muddled through and felt stronger at the Victory/ Canoga junction. Great, just in time for my 6 mile slow uphill. I spun as best I could and was able to keep my speed about 1.5mph faster everywhere than in previous attempts, but this is in the middle portion of a 30 mile ride.
At the very top I was racing a clock I already knew had won; ~9 miles to go and 27 minutes to do them. I attacked Rinaldi like the four horsemen of the apocalypse were coming for me. I'd used up my legs pretty much but I was deadset on a respectable time regardless.

Foisted by the same road construction from ten days ago. Completely lost my momentum and will to live. Tucked my tail between my legs and took residential streets home.

30.3 miles. 2 hours 10 minutes. 13.9 mph average.

Turned out to be my second best time.

I can see now, how Lance was so effective when he was attacking on the uphills. They drain your will to live and some impudent asshole turning on the rockets just then is a sure fire way to win the mental race.

Bikes in the shop getting it's first service in the 5 years i've owned it. Thanks to my sporadic riding habits i've been able to get by on just a chain cleaning and reoiling now and then. Figured she deserved a lil pampering this time. Some hard miles are coming up on her.

neanderthal screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 04:22 AM
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #25365
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post

Did I hear someone say touring ?

Saddle first. Brooks. I'm about as sit bone skinny as they come and the B17 works great.

Groupset: I'm running a 105 front , XT rear and Ultegra shifters. Flawless for me. You really want to ride with some weight before you settle on a double in front. Long climbs with 50-60 lbs of gear can wear you down. My 24T small ring is completely worthless running around town on the plains of Oklahoma. It was priceless climbing over the Green Mountains of Vermont and Bighorns in Wyoming. Bikeforums.net has a nice touring sub forum. And of course, there's Crazy Guy on a Bike for inspiration.
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: