Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #46
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
here's a few Snap-on 3/8 & 1/4 wratchet handles ... shows a few of the configurations available from Snap-on. one never knows what god awful position is needed taking apart a vehicle.

I'm sorry....I'll be right back...I need a moment...............alone..................in the garage.

I want that flex head with the angled handle.....oooohh...the short stubby 3/8th too. I need that one. Seems uber-handy for low-torque applications and tight spots.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Where did you get your Wiha tools? Are they sold at any retail outlets?
I bought mine at a hardware store in Boulder, CO, and part of the reason I did was the way they felt to the hand.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #48
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
most anyone can offer basics of small, med and large. but when someone needs say a screwdriver 20in long to reach deep into bowls of engine compartment. this is why pro's pay outrageous prices for Snap-on.
Harbor Freight sells a set of two 22-in screwdrivers for $4.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-34253.html
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #49
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Wiha has been known to hold a big sale at Christmas, with very limited time offers. I bought some of mine through Amazon but also got some on sale through Wiha direct at Christmas.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #50
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
Harbor Freight sells a set of two 22-in screwdrivers for $4.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-34253.html
no question competition has been steadily growing. but others have a long, long way to go to even come close to myriad of different offerings by Snap-on.

that's why Snap-on can charge say $15 for a screwdriver vs $3-5 by someone else. one also gets a lifetime warranty on refreshing blades. for pro-mechanics it's not a matter of if you will wear out your screwdriver tips... but when.

have replaced my Snap-on screwdriver tips so many times with free blades. highly doubt Snap-on made much of anything on screwdrivers. on other tools like wrenches... yes as those almost never need warranty.

_cy_ screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 04:32 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #51
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
no question competition has been steadily growing. but others have a long, long way to go to even come close to myriad of different offerings by Snap-on.

that's why Snap-on can charge say $15 for a screwdriver vs $3-5 by someone else. one also gets a lifetime warranty on refreshing blades. for pro-mechanics it's not a matter of if you will wear out your screwdriver tips... but when.

have replaced my Snap-on screwdriver tips so many times with free blades. highly doubt Snap-on made much of anything on screwdrivers. on other tools like wrenches... yes as those almost never need warranty.
Seriously, I decided to cut a chunk out of a screwdriver by arcing it across 220 in a stove a couple years ago...(don't ask...). Snap-on guy looked at me and said, "Yeah these things do that sometimes...." as he pulled the shank and replaced it for free.

I'm a joe-homeowner, but love good tools.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #52
mebuildit
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I"m generally a Snap On tools guy. Lately I've been buying some Matco stuff. I use the Snap On and Matco stuff for the shop and carry not so expensive tools for my bike. that way if I lose one, it doesn't hurt so bad to replace one.
mebuildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #53
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Craftsman and just about every other name brand tool company has sourced to China and elsewhere. I recently ran across this company from Germany. Do any of you guys have any first hand experience with these tools?

http://www.wihatools.com/default.htm

I have a ton of Wiha stuff. They make really superb screwdrivers and Allen key sets as well as knippers, pliers, nut drivers, etc. I've got some Wiha malet sets that are killer...

Well, I got lots of Wiha stuff and am always watching for sales of their tools.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #54
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,753
Well the wife and I found ourselves in Germany this week and we visited a Globus Baumarkt which I guess is Germany"s version of Home Depot. I went straight to the tool dept. and thought of you guys.

They had a few Wiha tools but not many and they had a large "made in China" section.

I ended up with a screwdriver set and may have to go back for the torx set before we leave for the states on Sunday.

I will post back if I succumb to the allure of the torx set.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote