Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #91
Toadride
NTXer

Oddometer: 774
Looks like winter is upon you, Bri. I was gonna suggest you head up thru Kananaskis as it was one of the more spectacular routes I came down on but I think it might be too late. Perhaps the lowest route to the coast?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #92
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFar View Post
Still enjoying this, keep it comin!!

Thanks WayFar

I am glad you are still liking it :)
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #93
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Looks like winter is upon you, Bri. I was gonna suggest you head up thru Kananaskis as it was one of the more spectacular routes I came down on but I think it might be too late. Perhaps the lowest route to the coast?
Hi Toadride

I think I m past the worst of it.

Kanaskis would have been good..... earlier in the year :)

Heading into Washington State tomorrow, then up into the Okanagan

rumor has it its been warmer there.

I guess we'll see :)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #94
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Hi Toadride

If you get a chance, make your way up to SR20 and head west. The pass is still open and conditions are favorable (well, they were today according to WADOT). That'll dump you out in Sedro Wooley, just a hop, skip and a jump from the border, too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how much I've enjoyed reading this RR. Great to see old bikes on the road in more than a bike night capacity. I appreciate your tenacity in overcoming each of the challenges the old girl has thrown at you and could stand to take away some of that attitude myself.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #95
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 18 Oct 4 459 kms Livingston MT to Superior MT

When I checked the weather reports last night, it said the morning would be about 30F, but no precipitation, Warming up to above freezing by 9, and approaching 40F by noon. When I woke up, I checked again, and the weather report said the same thing. I looked out my window into the parking lot, and it was snowing. I checked the hwy cams for Bozeman pass, and it looked ugly.

Checkout time was 11:00 AM. I had already made arrangements with the hotel staff to stay longer if needed. I got comfortable and settled in to wait. I went for breakfast, back to my room to check the weather and hwy cams. Still looked bad. I packed up to be ready if and when I was going to leave. The internet was up and down, so, while it was down I went to do my checks on the bike, pack it partially, and see if it would start in this cold weather. She is a true Canadian girl. Started up like it was summer.

While outside, scraping ice off my seat, I met Corey, who had just ridden his sportster over the pass. He said it was blizzard, white out conditions. He was colder than hell, and, was like me yesterday, ready to give up and get a room or rent a truck.

He highly recommended I did not try it, at least for a while, anyhow.

We talked, and he decided to go for a bite to eat, and see what the weather was doing in a couple hours. I went back to my room, tried the internet, it didn’t work, watched TV for a bit, and said screw it. I am going for it. Corey had said it was cold and snowy, but not slippery, and I had more cold weather gear than he did ( he was, in fact, going shopping for more clothes)

So I loaded up, gave the hotel staff my key, told them I might be back, and hit the road. It had stopped snowing and had warmed up enough that there was no longer ice on my bike.

It was 23 miles to Bozeman, and a vertical rise of about 1800 ft. to the summit, then down to Bozeman. As I climbed it got colder, and it started snowing, but traffic was light and visibility was good. I hit the summit, my fingers were cold, but the rest of me was doing OK.

I rode down to Bozeman, and the skys were looking a bit better. I stopped to rub my fingers and got a shot of the weather following me.

I rode towards Butte, the weather not all that warm, but dry, and the sun poked out occasionally along the way.

I still had to get over Homestake Pass. It went up to over 6000 feet, and although the hwy cam wasn’t showing snow, but I was pretty sure it wasn’t going to be warm.

I stopped for gas just before the climb, and then I rode up and up and up. I got to the top, and stopped briefly for a quick break.

The official height of the summit is 6,339 ft. My gps was only 100 ft out J

The old bike had taken me to elevations approaching 8,,000 feet on this trip, but it was warm. 6,000 ft in the cold gave me more of a sense of accomplishment (or something )
I went down and down and down and into Butte. The big flashing sign by the big hotel said 33F. It felt good!!

I carried on and by Deer Lodge MT I was ready for a break and to warm up. I was thinking restaurant, but then I saw a sign for a car museum. Sweet. I pull into Deer Lodge and find the museum. It had the unlikely distinction of being a car museum AND a prison museum….. all for the same price.

Lots of cool stuff in the Car Museum

I finished up there and went into the prison museum

I took a lot more pictures. To view some of them, click HERE.

By the time I saw all there was to see, I was a lot warmer, and the day had warmed considerably. I went back to my bike to leave. I had parked next to a BMW 800GS loaded down for travelling with European plates (Norwegian or Danish or something) and I had hoped for a chance to visit with the rider, but there was no one wearing riding gear in the museum and when I came back out the bike was gone.

I carried on, and by Missoula it was getting almost comfortable out. I was seeing a few more bikes on the road (surprisingly, considering the weather, I had seen quite a few bikes along the way)

It had cooled down a bit by the time I reached Superior MT, and I needed gas, so I took the offramp, stopped at the stop sign, and started shaking from the cold. All right then, Superior it is. I saw a reasonable looking motel by the gas station, pulled in and got a room, cranked the heat and climbed into a hot bath to warm up.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #96
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Hey Brian, Dazzer and Leigh are with me in Zillah right now. Due to the weather they've had to change their plans. They will head South from here.

From Dazzer:
Hi Brian, stay safe mate and try to keep warm, after the very cold ride up to Alaska we have decided to make our way south to the warmer weather. We have to be in California for the 18 to be at the HU meeting. Lets make sure we catch up at the Isle of Man TT.
All the best mate, Dazzer and Leigh
Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #97
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
If you get a chance, make your way up to SR20 and head west. The pass is still open and conditions are favorable (well, they were today according to WADOT). That'll dump you out in Sedro Wooley, just a hop, skip and a jump from the border, too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how much I've enjoyed reading this RR. Great to see old bikes on the road in more than a bike night capacity. I appreciate your tenacity in overcoming each of the challenges the old girl has thrown at you and could stand to take away some of that attitude myself.
Thanks.

I was through that route years ago, in the summer and I loved it.

This time I think I am going to head up hwy 3 to Princeton, the up 5a to merrit. I haven't done that route in quite a while either, and if I remember its a pretty nice ride.

I may have mentioned before that I started in on this trip with an old, unknown to me bike, and that I expected mechanical issues. If I was riding a newer bike, and had these kind of issues, I might not have been so easy going about it......
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #98
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Hey Brian, Dazzer and Leigh are with me in Zillah right now. Due to the weather they've had to change their plans. They will head South from here.

From Dazzer:
Hi Brian, stay safe mate and try to keep warm, after the very cold ride up to Alaska we have decided to make our way south to the warmer weather. We have to be in California for the 18 to be at the HU meeting. Lets make sure we catch up at the Isle of Man TT.
All the best mate, Dazzer and Leigh
Hey XB12R

I can't say I blame them. South sounds good right now.Have a good time with them, they are great people.

Hi Dazzer. Sounds like South is a good plan. Enjoy the rest of the world and I will be following your adventures.

Keep in touch, and when you are back home and. back into reality we will talk about a trip over there and the TT.

Ride safe and all the best to you and Leigh

PS I was thinking of you and Leigh as I was riding over the passes and through the snow. I figured if tyou can do alaska in Sept, I can do Monntana in Oct

BC Brian screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 08:21 AM
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #99
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
Pretty cool trip. I should try this on my 1950 Pan. Problem is, the RR would just be a series of photos of me pouring more oil into the bike.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #100
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Hi Toadride

You are right to head to the Okanagan. This Thanksgiving weekend they are calling for Low 20's celsius during the day, but below zero at night. No rain in sight for weeks still. You may be chilly in the morning but toasty in the afternoon.
Enjoying the RR you are a better man than me I would have done the u-haul. I stayed in Hardin on the way to Sturgis this year. It was about 105 degrees, the pool was great at the motel after a sweltering days ride down from Helena, sure wasn't pool weather when you passed thru there.
Ride Safe.
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #101
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,029
Hi Brian. We just got back from a trip through Princeton and the OK valley. Cold in the am (0 C) but OK later in the day. Hang in there and get home safe.
Bill
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #102
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 19 Oct 5 563 kms Superior MT to Oliver BC

I had kind of figured that being so much lower in elevation, that it would be a bit warmer in the morning. But it was well into the 20s when I went for breakfast.

I went to check the bike, and there was still a fair bit of frost on it.

The old bike wasn’t quite as excited about starting this morning, but with a bit of coaxing she fired up ok.

I waited around for a bit, and hit the road, well before 32F. I mean, people ride snowmobiles in a lot colder weather than this, right? The sun was shining, so I wasn’t bad for cold, just my fingers complained a bit.

I stopped at a rest stop for a break and to warm up near Look Out Pass.

I carried on, twisting through the mountains, and by the time I was in Coeur d’Alene it was pretty nice out.

I stopped at a Harley shop in Spokane for a quart of oil, and a couple guys came over to check out my bike. This surprised me a bit. A lot of places I stopped along the way, people would come up and ask about the bike or say they used to have one like it or something, EXCEPT at Harley shops. Whenever I stopped in at one for something, people would pretty much ignore me and my old bike. There would be people around, looking at the new iron or some ones custom ride, but usually no one would make eye contact with me ( And I would stare at them, just to make sure J )

So this young fellow comes up to me and says “Nice bike” and I says, “ It’s not new” and he says “I know, that’s why it’s so nice”

So I am thinking “Right on, buddy”

He asks me what year, so I tell him 76, and he says “it’s a shovel then.” Like he had read about them but didn’t know quite what one looked like. He walked around it for a good look. We talked a bit about what it’s like riding an old bike, he wished me a safe ride and wandered into the Harley store.

I was pretty impressed with the young fellow. He was showing a lot of interest in a bike that was built before he was born, and was willing to listen about it, instead of quoting what he might have read about them.

I stopped just out of Spokane for lunch, and removed all my cold weather gear. It was that nice out.

I headed down hwy 2, through rural Washington and through some nice little country towns. Then onto hwy 174 and past the Grand Coulee dam. Then the road headed up and up, and it cooled down a bit again, but not so much that I needed my warm gear.

I went over another pass and headed down towards Omak, and the air was getting pretty smoky. Not smoky like it was in Idaho on the way down, but pretty smoky.

As I got close to Omak, the Forestry had roads blocked off to the south and you could see big plumes of smoke billowing out of a nearby (and I mean nearby) forest fire. The smoke was all going East, and in Omak you could hardly even tell there was a fire anywhere close by.

I dicked around in Omak for a bit, the headed north to the border. I crossed back into Canada without a hitch, and rode to Oliver for the night.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #103
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
Pretty cool trip. I should try this on my 1950 Pan. Problem is, the RR would just be a series of photos of me pouring more oil into the bike.
That would be a great bike for the trip. Oil is cheap if you buy bulk :)

I might avoid the Hwy 90 through Montana with a rigid frame. There are some pretty rough patches that had me slowing down from my already relaxed pace.....
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #104
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-hog View Post
You are right to head to the Okanagan. This Thanksgiving weekend they are calling for Low 20's celsius during the day, but below zero at night. No rain in sight for weeks still. You may be chilly in the morning but toasty in the afternoon.
Enjoying the RR you are a better man than me I would have done the u-haul. I stayed in Hardin on the way to Sturgis this year. It was about 105 degrees, the pool was great at the motel after a sweltering days ride down from Helena, sure wasn't pool weather when you passed thru there.
Ride Safe.
Its beautiful here this morning. Already warming up to a pretty decent (relatively) temperature.

even with all the snow, I am still thinking it was better than the +100 weather in Arizona and Nevada.

If it was 105 in Hardin, I might have been inclined to rent a U-haul with air conditioning......
Old 10-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #105
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Hi Brian. We just got back from a trip through Princeton and the OK valley. Cold in the am (0 C) but OK later in the day. Hang in there and get home safe.
Bill
Hi Bill
Heading for Princeton this morning, then up to Merrit (I think, anyhow)

Supposed to be cool nights and nice days for the next while.

If the weather man is right, its going to make for some pretty nice riding :)