Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #3586
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Ditto what jesusgato said, just clean the bolts or get new ones and use Locktite on them. Unless you're seeing some sign the threads in the hub are damaged, you should be good to go.

Make sure you get some good riding in before boot camp, it'll be a little while for you.

Oh, and don't buy into the Perris Island Marines are better than "Hollywood" Marines. If you're lucky, you'll get sent out here and get to experience all the great riding in the West.
Man believe me I wanted to go to Cali. sooooooooo bad but I'm on the East side of the MS River so I have to go to Parris Island unless I have a Tradition Waiver which I do not. And I don't plan on thinking I'm better than any other fellow Marine let alone any other branch. I'm just doing it for my family, country, and see the world. I'm stoked about after re-enlistment I can choose somewhere else and my KTM will count as household item so I'm VERY happy about my decision to join.

One more question, my local bike shop sells sprocket bolts and I've never thought about it till now but are all sprocket bolts the same? They have a jar of them for like .50 a bolt. I'll probably just buy a set that they have hanging up.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450 (260 hrs)
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #3587
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Man believe me I wanted to go to Cali. sooooooooo bad but I'm on the East side of the MS River so I have to go to Parris Island unless I have a Tradition Waiver which I do not. And I don't plan on thinking I'm better than any other fellow Marine let alone any other branch. I'm just doing it for my family, country, and see the world. I'm stoked about after re-enlistment I can choose somewhere else and my KTM will count as household item so I'm VERY happy about my decision to join.

One more question, my local bike shop sells sprocket bolts and I've never thought about it till now but are all sprocket bolts the same? They have a jar of them for like .50 a bolt. I'll probably just buy a set that they have hanging up.
Just compare one of your sprocket bolts to make sure its the same length and taper on the bolt head.
Make sure all threads are clean in hub,as far as I know blue loctite would be the thing to use.
Check em occasionally to make sure they stay tight.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3588
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
probably someone has over tightened the bolts and stretched them beyond their limit
once this happens they will keep stretching and coming loose
best to throw them away and put new ones in - good ones not cheapies
then tighten them to the proper torque value
-------------------------------------------------------------
for an better explanation check out the short video on the bottom of this page
dirt tricks ironman sprocket bolts
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #3589
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldit View Post
probably someone has over tightened the bolts and stretched them beyond their limit
once this happens they will keep stretching and coming loose
best to throw them away and put new ones in - good ones not cheapies
then tighten them to the proper torque value
-------------------------------------------------------------
for an better explanation check out the short video on the bottom of this page
dirt tricks ironman sprocket bolts
+1 Do NOT over tighten them. DAMHIK

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #3590
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
+1 Do NOT over tighten them. DAMHIK
Speaking of over-tightening, broke the countershaft sprocket bolt yesterday. Was a little bit careless (not using a torque wrench), but had hardly started tightening it when it sheared-off. Way down deep in there. Fortunately, the moto-gods smiled on me and was able to drill/extract it. Was not looking forward to splitting cases. By the way, 7000+ miles on this bike now, most of them on-road, about half of them with a cush-hub. Countershaft splines still look brand-new.

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #3591
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,321
Lucky you Jesse, that could have been a major PITA!! What is that square edged tool, is that for extracting? Never seen one like that.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #3592
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,249
oh yeah, they make all kinds of different extractors. those seem to work pretty well.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #3593
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
I did the smae on my 520 teh night before a ride so there was no chance of getting a replacment bolt.

I ended up using a uber high tensile bolt and drilled the old bolt head and used it as the steped spacer.

I only intended it to be a temp fix but i think its better than stock so ive left it as is.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #3594
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Speaking of over-tightening, broke the countershaft sprocket bolt yesterday. Was a little bit careless (not using a torque wrench), but had hardly started tightening it when it sheared-off. Way down deep in there. Fortunately, the moto-gods smiled on me and was able to drill/extract it. Was not looking forward to splitting cases. By the way, 7000+ miles on this bike now, most of them on-road, about half of them with a cush-hub. Countershaft splines still look brand-new.
Damn!

Looks like you did a HELL of a job keeping that drill straight!

Last time I snapped a bolt that bad, I threw my ratchet across the driveway....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #3595
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
oh yeah, they make all kinds of different extractors. those seem to work pretty well.
I think I will just order up a couple of those bolts and bell washers,maybe there's a reason KTM wants them replaced when changing countershaft sprockets out.

Very nice job on the extraction,always satisfying when that goes well.

(And a hair ripping mess when it doesnt!)
Old 10-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #3596
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Duke

I see you have put your Q4 on the Rally bike. Any problems getting it to fit? Assuming it was the one off your 525. Mine won't go, as the brackets on the silencer are widely offset. I have an old KTM branded FMF shell, and it has the brackets closer in line. I am considering using it, but it looks terrible, since the packing was smoked and the anodizing looks like crap. My 530 came with an HMF (stock can came with the bike, but the previous previous owner cut the guts out), which even with the smallest insert, is tooooo loud. Grrrr.

Here's my 57 hour 2009 to replace my 230 hour 2007 525. I took the black rims off for the time being, and the faded orange 21/19 set are for ice racing, but I have the rear to burn off before the prickly tire goes on. For a guy like myself that prides himself in photography, these cel shots are embarrassing.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #3597
Foot dragger
singletracker

That whole Ice racing thing looks like too much fun! After many years racing flattrack I like the idea of no walls to hit,or guard rails,or rock walls like the track we raced on in Auburn CA.
Promoters assume anyone who races flattrack must be expendable,or it seems that way.

Have fun out on the ice!

A Q4 went right on my 2011 530,they do state it wont fit with anything but the stock header pipe.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #3598
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Duke

I see you have put your Q4 on the Rally bike. Any problems getting it to fit? Assuming it was the one off your 525. Mine won't go, as the brackets on the silencer are widely offset. I have an old KTM branded FMF shell, and it has the brackets closer in line. I am considering using it, but it looks terrible, since the packing was smoked and the anodizing looks like crap. My 530 came with an HMF (stock can came with the bike, but the previous previous owner cut the guts out), which even with the smallest insert, is tooooo loud. Grrrr.

It fit fine, but required a spacer on the rear bracket, that I also had on the 525. Are you just missing the spacer? The Q4 sounds so much better (and quieter) than stock.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #3599
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,867
Here's the one from my 525, and the spacers required for that bike.

Here's the ugly KTM branded pipe that came off my friend's 530, which he replaced with a new Q4, and the offset of the brackets is the same on his new one, requiring no spacers.

The purpley pipe is the KTM, and the one on the right came off my 525. The steekers fried off mine within 20 minutes of riding on the Bonneville Salt flats. The bikes ran quite lean there, but perfectly everywhere else in Utah.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #3600
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 367
Just ordered some passenger pegs for the my 450 from Tec-cycles. Anyone had any experience/issues with them? I'm not planning on heavy riding with my wife on just the casual fireroads same as with my 650L only now me and my parents can all keeps up XD Also my hub is ok, thankfully, but I may invest in new hubs anyway because I'm so loving the orange Talon hubs.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450 (260 hrs)
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote