My current Honda. Any better for ya?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #32
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
DR 650 over 400 lbs, as is the KLR. Honda XR650L 340 lbs & way better off road in stock form.
You under-represented the Honda weight and added 10% to the Suzuki weight.

So, keeping in line (adjusting the weights by about 10% that other way) the DR650 is 330lbs and the Honda is 355 lbs!!!!

Although, if you were to rely on the real wet weights, per the manufacturer sites, the DR650 is 366 fueled, with oil, ready to race! The Honda XR650L is 346! There is a 20 lbs difference, not a 60 lbs difference as you indicated.

Edit to add: I see you corrected the DR650 weight.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
You under-represented the Honda weight and added 10% to the Suzuki weight.

So, keeping in line (adjusting the weights by about 10% that other way) the DR650 is 330lbs and the Honda is 355 lbs!!!!

Although, if you were to rely on the real wet weights, per the manufacturer sites, the DR650 is 366 fueled, with oil, ready to race! The Honda XR650L is 346! There is a 20 lbs difference, not a 60 lbs difference as you indicated.
Well excuse me
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #34
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tarr View Post

Since people are wondering how much time on the stree vs how much time in the dirt:

The average excursion this bike is intended for is 200-500 miles of highway followed by a few days of off road of varying extremes, then the trip back home.

Well, that narrows it down......

.....just slip the forks up an inch or two and toss in a lowering link.

Next question?

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #35
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Hey guys. This is my first post here after lurker for most of the year. Yaay. Ok, anyway. I've been thinking about getting a dual sport for awhile now, and over the past few days have been doing some heavy research into what I want. After a lot of debate, and a lot of reading the back and fourth here, I decided I wanted a KLR.

Yes, I know it has downsides. But It fit everything I wanted it to do.

Easy maintenance.
Very comfy on the road.
Can take it on trails (even if its more hassle than a dirtier bike)

Well, I went on down to my local Honda/Kawasaki dealership and found their KLR650 display. Wow. First impression, this thing is HUGE. I ride a ninja 650r, and I was expecting something like that but a bit taller. Not by a long shot. This bike is massive, and tall. I threw my leg over and was quite shocked when I realized that my toes were barely on the ground. I'm 6'2, and had to stretch to hold myself and the bike up comfortably. I have no idea how anyone shorter than me could hope to ride it.

Second impression: This thing is heavy. It didnt really feel top heavy like many here describe it, just tall + heavy. So heavy that combined with the height, I wasnt sure if I'd be able to pick it up if I dropped it.

So after deciding the bike was plain out too large for what I wanted, I asked the rep to show me the next bike down that they had, and he showed me the KLX250 (Though he claimed it was 230.) This bike LOOKED closer to what I was looking for. But I'm a big guy. 6'2, 240lbs. When I sat on it, it was small. And light. I loved the weight, but im not sure if I like the size. If I was -2 inches and -50 pounds, I'd probably be looking for one online right now.

So, I just don't know what to do. The KLR650 is too big, the KLX250 is to small. The BMW DAKAR and anything by KTM are out of my pricerange, so please dont suggest them. The Honda crf230 was also too small, and the honda 650 was too ugly for me to consider.

The Tiger and Vstrom are as large and heavy as the KLR, right? I'm going to try to find a suzuki dealer so I can scope out the DRZ400. If that doesnt pan out, ill just have to choose between too heavy but comfy, or light, but not comfy.
Like others have suggested buy used.....you'll save a TON of money and won't lose your azz in depreciation the moment you drive the bike off the lot. A 250 is going to disappoint you in the power department on road compared to your Ninja 650.....and your 650 would make a better adventure bike than some of the big rigs, waste of money for what you want. You need to look at a used high performance 350-650 lightweight street legal dirt bike.
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #36
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Since people are wondering how much time on the stree vs how much time in the dirt:

The average excursion this bike is intended for is 200-500 miles of highway followed by a few days of off road of varying extremes, then the trip back home. I need whatever I get to be reliable too, because it will likely be what I take into Mexico next year. Preferably something I can fix myself.

If it matters, I'm also considering a Ural. And yeah, to all the people recommending Suzuki, I haven't ruled them out yet, its just a an hour to the nearest dealer so I haven't been up close with them yet.

And to the guy with the honda, I respect that the look works for some people. For me its the matte red and white, and the headlight that I can't throw in with.

Note I said highway, not interstate. I don't take bikes onto the slab, so we're talking 55-65 mph speeds.

edit, more info: Price range is 2-6k, but I'd like to stay under 4 (used).
The good news is, is that all of the bikes discussed will get the job done.....

But based on your intended purpose/use/price point, I would highly recommend a DR650. It will cruise all day at 70-80mph, comfortably....and it is pretty damn good off-road (although it's not a woods bike). It is extremely reliable. Many people have ridden them around the world and they are very simple to work on. Be patient, and find a clean used one with around 3k miles it for around $3.5-4k. Put on a Sargent seat, skid plate, an Acerbis tank, and have Cogent rework the rear shock...total cost ~$1.1k, and this bike will take you anywhere you want to go.

As a side note I have a WR250R and love it for your intended purpose, but I think it'll be a little anemic for you (fully loaded), as you weigh around 40lbs more than I do. It'll do it, but I don't think you'll be happy with the "lack of power" in the long run.

The DRZ 400 is a fantastic bike.....would have plenty of power and is great off-road, but 200-300 mile days on the slab will kill you. If they would only put a wide ratio, 6-speed transmission in this bike, it would be perfect.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,954
Read the last 100 pages here. It's one of the biggest bike threads in Thumpers for a reason. Thank me later.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 11:29 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #38
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Well, that narrows it down......

.....just slip the forks up an inch or two and toss in a lowering link.

Next question?

I agree .......
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #39
phoneman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I'll go ahead and say it. I'm really liking my 2012 drz400s--especially with the gearing change--and I haven't had time to wring it out yet.
BUT--there ain't no way I'd ride that skinny thing 200 or 300 hundred miles on pavement. Heck-10 miles from dirt to dirt is too far for me. I have a wee for that.
If you plan on running a couple hundred miles of pavement to go off on the trails a KLR 650 or a DR 650 would be a lot better on the pavement. Neither will be as much fun off-road probably but they will both get you there---which is the fun of it all anyway.
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #40
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,265
Husky TR650

Another choice that directly competes with the DR/KLR/Dakar
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #41
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
My current Honda. Any better for ya?
Smart man, you got the red tank instead of the crappy white one that turns birdshit yellow over time, and looks like hell the whole time its on the bike.....I hate those f%@#ing things.....wish the po would've put a red one on mine

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 06:20 AM Reason: can't type
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #42
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
I'm surprised nobody thought of the obvoius.....

There's a "Rat Ninja" thread in here somewhere. Just mod your 650 into a dualsport that fits you. It's pretty much already a Versys, and a very popular and dependable powerplant.
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #43
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I'm surprised nobody thought of the obvoius.....

There's a "Rat Ninja" thread in here somewhere. Just mod your 650 into a dualsport that fits you. It's pretty much already a Versys, and a very popular and dependable powerplant.
I guess I'm old school, but when I hear dual-sport I think of a dirt bike with lights and a license plate.......something you can really take in the dirt....hillclimbs, jumps, bermshots, some track action, log hopping, wheelies etc. That was the kind of dual-sports I was around growing up.

Not sure how they can now slap some semi-aggressive rubber and higher fenders on a street bike and call it a dual sport?
Guess I'm too old
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #44
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:

The average excursion this bike is intended for is 200-500 miles of highway followed by a few days of off road of varying extremes, then the trip back home. I need whatever I get to be reliable too, because it will likely be what I take into Mexico next year. Preferably something I can fix myself.

If it matters, I'm also considering a Ural. And yeah, to all the people recommending Suzuki, I haven't ruled them out yet, its just a an hour to the nearest dealer so I haven't been up close with them yet.

And to the guy with the honda, I respect that the look works for some people. For me its the matte red and white, and the headlight that I can't throw in with.

Note I said highway, not interstate. I don't take bikes onto the slab, so we're talking 55-65 mph speeds.

edit, more info: Price range is 2-6k, but I'd like to stay under 4 (used).
Your best bets are the DR or KLR. Both are easily fixed, with an abundance of after market farkles and parts.
Both are inexpensive and parts can be found pretty much anywhere.
The KLR is a better road bike than the DR, but the DR is a better bike in the dirt.
But it seems you'll be on the road more and the KLR is roomier with better ergonomics for road.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #45
TOzman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Well, I went on down to my local Honda/Kawasaki dealership and found their KLR650 display. Wow. First impression, this thing is HUGE. I ride a ninja 650r, and I was expecting something like that but a bit taller. Not by a long shot. This bike is massive, and tall. I threw my leg over and was quite shocked when I realized that my toes were barely on the ground. I'm 6'2, and had to stretch to hold myself and the bike up comfortably. I have no idea how anyone shorter than me could hope to ride it.

Second impression: This thing is heavy. It didnt really feel top heavy like many here describe it, just tall + heavy. So heavy that combined with the height, I wasnt sure if I'd be able to pick it up if I dropped it.

Just goes to show it's all about perspective/background. I'm 5'8", 29" inseam, and just bought a 2013 KLR this week. Coming off a Fatboy, this bike is 300 pounds lighter, so it feels like a featherweight, which is why I dont mind only being able to put the balls of feet down. The Fatboy was light compared to the Ultra Classic I had before that.

I also looked at the DR, but after sitting on one it just didnt feel as good as the KLR.

My new Sargent low seat should be delivered today, which should give me an even better foothold.

You have to buy what is comfortable for you, or else you won't enjoy the ride and will always be nervous when you're on it. Good luck in whatever purchase you make.
TOzman is offline   Reply With Quote