Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOzman View Post
Just goes to show it's all about perspective/background. I'm 5'8", 29" inseam, and just bought a 2013 KLR this week. Coming off a Fatboy, this bike is 300 pounds lighter, so it feels like a featherweight, which is why I dont mind only being able to put the balls of feet down. The Fatboy was light compared to the Ultra Classic I had before that.

I also looked at the DR, but after sitting on one it just didnt feel as good as the KLR.

My new Sargent low seat should be delivered today, which should give me an even better foothold.

You have to buy what is comfortable for you, or else you won't enjoy the ride and will always be nervous when you're on it. Good luck in whatever purchase you make.
I have the same inseam and I too was on the balls of my feet.
That is until I changed my rear shock to the Progressive 465. Now I tip toe, or slide to one side of the seat and flat foot one foot.
Yet I ride my KLR through single track, dirt, mud, sand, gravel and highway without any problems.
I bought lowering links for the bike but never put them on.
I want the ground clearance for going over the rocks and logs.
Hell. A dual sport needs the ground clearance if you're going to ride it through those conditions.
I also bought a 16 tooth sprocket for highway and a 14 tooth for single track, but never changed from the 15 tooth as the bike does everything I ask of it.
It has great low end torque off road but has nice gear ratio for highway.
Oh. And he can save on buying a seat if he just takes the cover off the stock seat, shaves the foam down and recovers the seat using the same stock cover. That will lower the bike enough for him.

Here I am with my bike loaded up for a trip to Laurel Fork in West Virginia

Take note that I'm sitting comfortable due to the weight of my gear lowering the bike.

Here it is at a pit stop for some food

MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote