Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #4951
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 631
It's about a 3 month, $100 process in AL. May not be worth it.

There is a 610TE for cheap that I'm looking at too. Was very interested in the basic technology and dependablity of the XR, but it's got to be plated/ lights/ stuff to ride off Post. I may just have to deal with extra 40lbs?? Of the 610 if he wants too much for the XR.

Thanks guys
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #4952
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
My experience was that it completely depended on which inept DMV clerk I got that day. Some were extremely helpful with everything and gave me a nice list of things to do. Then when I came back with all of those things done the clerk that day would tell me it was all wrong and I need a whole different set of stuff - either that or he'd just flat out tell me I was SOL.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #4953
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,751
Here is the little write up I did when I had to tag my XR..I did not have a title and had to go the "Bonded Title" route..keep in mind, this is for Arkansas, laws in your state may vary, but hopefully some info here will be of some help..
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #4954
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Welding on an xr400r

Does anyone know what if anything needs disconnecting from the bike before the welding shop gets hold of it?
It's an R model, so no indicators, battery etc, so as far as I know just a CDI - ECU box.
She's in the shop tomorrow getting the side stand lug welded, as it's fractured.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Mark.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #4955
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,751
unhook the CDI and tape up the wire-plug-in to it..and just for grins, pull the plug wire off the plug too...and for added measure, follow the stator wires up under the seat and unplug those too..better safe than sorry
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #4956
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 631
Ive welded on the frame of 20+ vehicles with the battery and ecus hooked up.I've never had a problem.

But it is your bike

I had more issues with the heat melting wires or slag from a torch cutting fuel/ brake lines
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #4957
curlysurfer
in need of a ride

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Ive welded on the frame of 20+ vehicles with the battery and ecus hooked up.I've never had a problem.

But it is your bike

I had more issues with the heat melting wires or slag from a torch cutting fuel/ brake lines
Ditto, just have the earth clamp hooked onto the thing your welding, or as close as possible to the weld. keep the circuit short!

Earth clamps make great pliers!

couple of mountain bikes, 20 or so surfboards, not enough time........
curlysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #4958
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
unhook the CDI and tape up the wire-plug-in to it..and just for grins, pull the plug wire off the plug too...and for added measure, follow the stator wires up under the seat and unplug those too..better safe than sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post

But it is your bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysurfer View Post
Ditto, just have the earth clamp hooked onto the thing your welding, or as close as possible to the weld. keep the circuit short!

Earth clamps make great pliers!
Thanks for the help guys, job done, and I'm as happy as Larry with it.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #4959
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
Does anyone know what if anything needs disconnecting from the bike before the welding shop gets hold of it?
It's an R model, so no indicators, battery etc, so as far as I know just a CDI - ECU box.
She's in the shop tomorrow getting the side stand lug welded, as it's fractured.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Mark.
I had a similar issue sidestand issue and didn't unplug anything during welding...no problems...but in retrospect....I'd be more careful in the future. Also....My XR400 has a frozen swing arm bolt...never had it apart, or ever checked it...it's "IN THERE"...will be drilling it out this winter...again...in hindsight...is the swing arm bolt rusted in there?....or did the welding somehow warp the frame enough to pinch that swingarm bolt and keep it from coming out?.....If I were you, I'd see if it is free now....grease the be-jeezus out of it before any welding....and maybe leave it out...I'm not sure...regardless...be careful
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #4960
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I had a similar issue sidestand issue and didn't unplug anything during welding...no problems...but in retrospect....I'd be more careful in the future. Also....My XR400 has a frozen swing arm bolt...never had it apart, or ever checked it...it's "IN THERE"...will be drilling it out this winter...again...in hindsight...is the swing arm bolt rusted in there?....or did the welding somehow warp the frame enough to pinch that swingarm bolt and keep it from coming out?.....If I were you, I'd see if it is free now....grease the be-jeezus out of it before any welding....and maybe leave it out...I'm not sure...regardless...be careful

Common issue, not related to welding. Need to pull that puppy and grease it once/year or it rusts itself to the sheaves that are in there.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #4961
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Wallrat:

Yup...mine's in there .....real good and tight....a 4' breaker bar won't budge it....got a big horizontal boring machine with a rotary table...gonna bore the SA bolt out in 3 steps...got a used swing arm if this one needs the "sawzall-treatment".

I can afford a KTM....had one sold it, went back to the XR.....now, after Dr. Lewall's guidance, the XR starts reasonably well, so it deserves a new swing arm bolt...that'll hold it till I hit 70.....
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #4962
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Common issue, not related to welding. Need to pull that puppy and grease it once/year or it rusts itself to the sheaves that are in there.
Quote:
Wallrat:

Yup...mine's in there .....real good and tight....a 4' breaker bar won't budge it....got a big horizontal boring machine with a rotary table...gonna bore the SA bolt out in 3 steps...got a used swing arm if this one needs the "sawzall-treatment".

I can afford a KTM....had one sold it, went back to the XR.....now, after Dr. Lewall's guidance, the XR starts reasonably well, so it deserves a new swing arm bolt...that'll hold it till I hit 70.....
Thanks guy's,
My swing arm has always been free, and the welder also copper slipped it before he reassembled it.
My bolt is stainless steel, the reason I mention it is because an SS bolt of that dimension is going to be a proper sod to drill out.
Would it not be possible to try and apply localised heat to the rear of the stand, (as it's mild steel) so as to expand it, as that's the part that is threaded, and once it's loosened it should just come away as normal?
Cheers,
Mark.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #4963
davidgibson999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Powering a zumo 550 from a standard 2000 XR400R

Does anyone know if this is possible?
Can I power a zumo 550 from a standard 2000 XR400R
davidgibson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #4964
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgibson999 View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Can I power a zumo 550 from a standard 2000 XR400R
I think your going to need a battery and a regulator/rectifier like the 150w Trail Tech unit. I have one on my XR4 when I did the dual sport conversion I added a fuse block for a cigarette lighter power jack and a power wire for my Garmin 276c as well as the lighting circuit. Its worked perfect for over 6000 miles so far. I added a small 1000ah SLA battery I mounted under the seat in a slot I cut in the airbox.

I really don't think you can power it off the simple AC lighting circuit. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Later Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!

IronSpadeCycles screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 02:15 PM
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #4965
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Iron is correct. You'll need to float the ground on the stator and add a DC regulator. I did it when I got my 200w stator from rickystator. Easy to do, and RS will walk you through it. I've got a cig outlet tucked up behind my headlight and I just plug my 76cx in whenever its on the bike. I kept frying the small NiMH batteries so I put a small lead acid where the AC rectifier used to be under the gas tank.