Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #2851
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I hope so! All I want is heated grips and ABS!

Jim
I even deleted the ABS on my 07. Only thing I had were heated grips and driving lights.

Less shit to go wrong...

M
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #2852
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
If I couldputthat headlight cluster on my '09 I'd be a happy camper. I likethelooksof the new bike, but I LOVE that headlight!
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #2853
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
Just remember that it took 2 model years for the Hexhead GSA to show up...it could be the same for the Wethead GSA's?
Absolutely but the GSA is a huge seller so maybe it will come quicker? Either way IF they have plans to do a GSA you would think they would design the GS with it in mind so although it might come later there isn't any reason they couldn't be testing parts now.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #2854
Sltx1050
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
The USA will get cruise, but may not get LED Headlight due to retarded US regulations
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #2855
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,872
I will have LED, criuse and ESA please. Yes I plan to drop it redline and Stop abruptly.
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #2856
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I hope so! All I want is heated grips and ABS!

Jim
Yup-

Really dislike the funky plastic shapes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #2857
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Isn't electronic preload adjustment the source of several pounds of weight as well? I thought the motor for this had to be good sized to deliver to the required torque. (Asking this as a question, don't have enough data to affirm this is the case.)

Edit: and if so...given that all weights are quoted without ESA, this could mean an optioned up bike is closer to the '12's weight.
I don't think it's several lbs just for the preload servo, but certainly the unit adds weight, and by all accounts, maybe it wasn't beefy enough as it was the "fly in the wine" so to speak with the Ohlins electronic suspension. The servo failing to set the preload either cooked the servo or the controller, or both. I don't believe I ever heard/read of a single failure of the damping internals, only the dreaded "DES Preload" error.

All the electronics is THE reason why, for the first time, I purchased an extended warranty on my Duc. I'm covered for 5 years with a full Ducati factory warranty (which they no longer sell....hmmmm, wonder why.....). I wonder if BMW offers the same (or only 3rd party warranties that can be denied)? Anyone know?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #2858
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I don't think it's several lbs just for the preload servo, but certainly the unit adds weight, and by all accounts, maybe it wasn't beefy enough as it was the "fly in the wine" so to speak with the Ohlins electronic suspension. The servo failing to set the preload either cooked the servo or the controller, or both. I don't believe I ever heard/read of a single failure of the damping internals, only the dreaded "DES Preload" error.

All the electronics is THE reason why, for the first time, I purchased an extended warranty on my Duc. I'm covered for 5 years with a full Ducati factory warranty (which they no longer sell....hmmmm, wonder why.....). I wonder if BMW offers the same (or only 3rd party warranties that can be denied)? Anyone know?

-SM
When I bought my F650GS (Oct 2010) the only extended warranty available was through a third party (Western Service IIRC).
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #2859
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
When I bought my F650GS (Oct 2010) the only extended warranty available was through a third party (Western Service IIRC).
Same for my wife's RT purchased this past May.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #2860
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
That was the main reason that I did not go back with another MTS. I put 17k on my 2011 in the first 7 months then a car hit me and totalled her. Within the 17k I had a bad radiator and rear wheel bearings which were non servicable and required parts being pulled off new bikes on the showroom floor. I was not willing to wait 45-60 days for new parts and according to our North Carolina Lemon Law, they would have to buy back the bike if not repaired within 30 days. I had heard of electronic gremlins and just lost confidence. That and the maintenance costs were stupid high. Luckily I bought the service plan from the dealer for $1400. I made $$ on it after all was said and done.

BMW '12 R1200GS A has 13k on her and nothing wrong "yet"....
Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #2861
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltx1050 View Post
The USA will get cruise, but may not get LED Headlight due to retarded US regulations
LED headlight is on the US Motorrad website as an option, so I'm hoping! Cruise is as well.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #2862
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
LED functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
LED headlight is on the US Motorrad website as an option, so I'm hoping! Cruise is as well.
When reading through the BMW press release, I noticed that the way they described the LED/HID headlight pairing, made it sound as if the LED is only intended as a daytime running light. It went on to sound as if the HID functioned as the primary source for dark driving. Is there a separate LED option to replace the HID? Or is that not DOT approved yet?
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #2863
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
When reading through the BMW press release, I noticed that the way they described the LED/HID headlight pairing, made it sound as if the LED is only intended as a daytime running light. It went on to sound as if the HID functioned as the primary source for dark driving. Is there a separate LED option to replace the HID? Or is that not DOT approved yet?
Here is what I read and I don't recall any reference to HID. The first motorcycle in the world with LED main headlight including integrated daytime running light for even greater safety when riding during the day and at night as an ex works option.
Even in its standard trim the new R 1200 GS has a main headlight with optimised light efficiency. In order to be seen even better during the day, BMW Motorrad also offers a daytime running light as an ex works option. For excellent road illumination and therefore even greater safety both day and night, an LED main headlight with integrated daytime running light is fitted in a motorcycle for the first time ever. It comprises innovative LED technology with a sophisticated cooling and decondensation concept.

LED headlights have been available on some luxury cars in the US for awhile now, so I don't think it should be a DOT issue, but who knows.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #2864
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Here is what I read and I don't recall any reference to HID. The first motorcycle in the world with LED main headlight including integrated daytime running light for even greater safety when riding during the day and at night as an ex works option.
Even in its standard trim the new R 1200 GS has a main headlight with optimised light efficiency. In order to be seen even better during the day, BMW Motorrad also offers a daytime running light as an ex works option. For excellent road illumination and therefore even greater safety both day and night, an LED main headlight with integrated daytime running light is fitted in a motorcycle for the first time ever. It comprises innovative LED technology with a sophisticated cooling and decondensation concept.

LED headlights have been available on some luxury cars in the US for awhile now, so I don't think it should be a DOT issue, but who knows.
Hmmm… it appears you are correct… after I went back and read the .pdf again. Those darned '70's strike again.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #2865
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEd View Post
Why would they drop the power output for heated gear and such. I hate to question the mother ship but that doesn't seem like a good idea.
After reading this thread for awhile now, this too is my only real concern. The move to LED's can be part of the argument, but not all of it. All 'newer' electronic 'in general' equipment draw less amperage than their predecessors - but some things like heated gear pretty much stay constant.

If I added up all the electrical stuff up for the wife and I when we are two up (in cold weather), using heated gear -top and bottoms-, going to heated seats, gps, extra lights etc. etc. we're close to 40 amps which is 560 watts total.

Doesn't take an engineer to figure that one out.

We're both older and like to stay warm, and I sincerely plan to stay the path on that one.

I thought I read where the new alternator is only rated for 580 watts.

OUCH !!!!!

They really missed the boat on this one. But then again sometimes they have a hard time getting out of their own back yard.

So........ BMW is now telling me that I should leave my wife home from now on....?
That won't necessarily go over to well...

This day and age I would expect alternators to be more compact, efficient and more powerful than before. MAYBE they'll come up with an upgrade kit to a higher rated alternator as an alternative.

Other than that this overall bike upgrade is simply massive.

I love pretty much all that they have done - they have gone in the right direction on a lot of things.

BUT

If I can't have creature comforts when I'm traveling (which safety and comfort are 1 and 2) when it's sometimes cold out - then make no mistake I'll jump the fence and go visit the neighbor and ride his bike. Nufff said.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote