ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #5416
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
We just returned from riding a month in Europe (that's a tale for another thread, but suffice it to say it was off the chart good) and used our Montana 600 for the very first time using CN Europe (latest verson). Here's some observations from an experienced GPS user.

1. Loved the visibility of the screen in full daylight.
  2. Couldn't figure out how to remove via points in a route that was created on the fly on the unit. Usually I would just recreate the route using the same endpoint and revise my via points. Waypoints seem to be handled differently.
  3. The routing was terrific on all sorts of roads. With the Toll Roads turned off and Major Highways, the unit was very creative in finding some super tertiary roads. It was spot on with respect to the proper exit from a roundabout.
  4. Loved the battery backup to be able to take the unit into a restaurant or Pension to tweak routing.
  5. The security torx is an "interesting" feature and clumsy for me to use as I keep the torx on a lanyard in a pocket under my riding pants.
  6. The find lodging and fuel features worked quite well. Find addresses was spot on. I wish it would list cities in geographical proximity (I didn't care about cities in the US that had the same name as European cities). Could that be a feature request?
  7. It was my primary speedometer for KM and distance to next in KM, I kept altitude in Feet as I comprehend that faster.
  8. BC interfaced with it very well.
  9. One doesn't appear to be able to view the daily GPX file (I have it set to store the GPX file on a daily basis) until after midnight unless the current track is the same route that's been using all day.
On balance, I really like the unit for the kinds of riding I do. .
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #5417
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
create a Route in BaseCamp that follows the path you want and then create a Track of the Route.
Just before sending your Routes/Tracks to the Montana, change your Routes to Direct Routes.

Change the routes to direct routes? In Basecamp? explain this one a little more.

Once on the Montana make sure your Routing Activity is set to Automotive or Motorcycle Driving.
This will cause the Montana to calculate your Route into an along-road route. Now you can compare it to the Track as mentioned and verify that the Montana calculated the route as you intended. The side benefit of this process is that you can now EDIT this route on the Montana - including reversing the Route.

Cheers,
I got 3 days riding with my wife coming up in the near future. I want to create a couple back road routes and I will try this. In fact I will copy my Stone road routes to a new name, and try it on them as well. Sure will make the weekend go smother if I have more riding and less GPS fiddling.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #5418
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Change the routes to direct routes? In Basecamp? explain this one a little more.
In BaseCamp, select the Route and open it's properties window (various ways depending upon your OS). There you should be able to select the ACTIVITY from a list that contains among others Direct and Automotive.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #5419
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
In BaseCamp, select the Route and open it's properties window (various ways depending upon your OS). There you should be able to select the ACTIVITY from a list that contains among others Direct and Automotive.

Cheers,
Ok, so I save the file in basecamp with Direct Routing (so it tags the file with direct routing), then once I push it to the montana, it will follow what ever routing profile (Auto or ADV) that I have active correct?

I will have to try this.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #5420
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Ok, so I save the file in basecamp with Direct Routing (so it tags the file with direct routing), then once I push it to the montana, it will follow what ever routing profile (Auto or ADV) that I have active correct?

I will have to try this.
In theory, yes!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #5421
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I have always created my road and dirt road routes in Mapsource using the routing tool. I place vias on lots of intersections, and set the unit to navigate by ‘shortest distance.’ This has worked everywhere I have been in the conti USA, including the CDR. Will this approach still work on the Montana, assuming I am using City Nav? I ask because there was a post suggesting that points on intersections cause trouble on the Montana. Is that correct?
I used that same method for years with Mapsource and my 276C. Since I got my Montana and have done the same thing with Mapsource (I do save routes as gpx and copy to Montana) and also have done the same thing with Basecamp and used Basecamp to copy the routes to the Montana. Basecamp has some advantages, but saying that, I have not had any limitations using Mapsource with the Montana for my purposes.

Edit: When routing, I use waypoints in intersections and have never used direct routing. For the way I use the Montana on trips I never use tracks. It all has worked without problem for me. My routes have never changed on the Montana from which ever program I used to create them (Mapsource or Basecamp). YMMV, but it has worked for me.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 08:40 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #5422
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Just so as not to misguide anyone, I'm still a proponent of creating my along-road Routes in BaseCamp and then creating a Track for each. Both Tracks and Routes are sent to the Montana. I "Show on Map" the Track for the Route I'm navigating. If the Route misbehaves then I simply follow the Track and let the Route "recalculate". If it doesn't calculate a Route path that follows the Track I stop Navigating and restart the Route. Simple and almost always "fixes" any Route issue. And, I never stopped riding since I had the Track to follow.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #5423
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Just so as not to misguide anyone, I'm still a proponent of creating my along-road Routes in BaseCamp and then creating a Track for each. Both Tracks and Routes are sent to the Montana. I "Show on Map" the Track for the Route I'm navigating. If the Route misbehaves then I simply follow the Track and let the Route "recalculate". If it doesn't calculate a Route path that follows the Track I stop Navigating and restart the Route. Simple and almost always "fixes" any Route issue. And, I never stopped riding since I had the Track to follow.
Thanks much for that brief explanation.

Typically I follow tracks prepared and downloaded, and when out and about let the unit route me for ad-hoc directions. However, I do see a fair amount of value in your methodology and will likely adopt it for my future needs.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #5424
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 478
Quote:

Cheers,
I like this idea also. Just so I know what to expect first time around . . . my Zumo would take a route with say, 50 vias and only use about 30. The ones that it would discard would often cause the route to go astray from where I wanted to be. Does the Montana use this same 'logic' or does it leave them all in place? (That's why the high via count was needed on the Zumo to make the route stay true to form.)
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #5425
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Just want to ask, if, when a Route fails to behave as expected, you can just follow the Track instead, until the Route again begins to behave as you wish, why use Routes in the first place? Why not just use the Tracks you create?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #5426
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Just want to ask, if, when a Route fails to behave as expected, you can just follow the Track instead, until the Route again begins to behave as you wish, why use Routes in the first place? Why not just use the Tracks you create?
i don't use tracks because only routes tell me "Left turn on X road in .5 miles".
sure I can use proximity alarms (as Dan has pointed out) but I mostly navigate by just the audio output of the GPS.
It has something to do with not wearing bifocal glasses and the size of the GPS screen
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #5427
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
i don't use tracks because only routes tell me "Left turn on X road in .5 miles".
sure I can use proximity alarms (as Dan has pointed out) but I mostly navigate by just the audio output of the GPS.
It has something to do with not wearing bifocal glasses and the size of the GPS screen
Ahhh.

Prompted Navigation Directions.

Thank You. :)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #5428
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
OK, you caught me. I don't use Routing much at all. I only create them so I can easily create Tracks. When I do use Routing, it's usually to just play with the settings to see how the code will behave. On rare occasions I'll use Routing when I'm in unfamiliar Cities (that have good maps) so I can get better visual guidance from the GPS.

But, again, I'm a Track guy and Routing is just a "toy" to be played with - not relied upon.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #5429
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
But, again, I'm a Track guy and Routing is just a "toy" to be played with - not relied upon.
True enough, but when you ride some of the places that I ride, you find out that the route you created, turned into a track, and are now following, isn't available as a means of transport any longer. Multiple fallen trees over roads or trails, roads now closed, bridges out, etc. It is in those instances where it is quite handy for me to look at the next waypoint on my intended track and perform a Route-to function to get me past the current hurdle.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #5430
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Bluetooth for the Montana

For those of you that want a Bluetooth dongle for the Montana, I have been playing with the new Sena SM10. I don't think it was really intended for this purpose but it does work with my Schuberth SRC-S quite well - with the following exception.

If you read the spec's on the SM10 you will see that it supports [only] the A2DP (Stereo Audio) protocols on both of its headset channels (yours and your partners). This is not a problem as far as the Audio stream from the Montana is concerned but if your using your Headset's A2DP channel to stream your music then the SM10 will not play well. Bluetooth specification currently only supports one A2DP Headset channel. So, the last A2DP device pair owns the channel.

For me it's simple, if I want/need Audio Navigation Prompts from the Montana, I'm not going to be listening to Music. So, I do the switching between the SM10 and my iPhone Music which requires I turn off and back on the SRC-S. No big deal.

I know for many, there is the desire to have Music streaming and be awakened from your riding stupor by the sweet voice of Jill (or whomever your vocal pref might be) providing those critical Navigation Directions. Since most Comm Systems must do the switching of channels from A2DP to another audio channel, using something like the Sena SR10 you don't hear the first part of the GPS audio. With my setup, I hear ever word that Jill speaks to me. But then, I'm waiting with anticipation [A2DP is active] to hear from her.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS