Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
corndog67 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Exhaust Question 2006 950SM

OK, I'm ready to spring for an exhaust.

But.....the first issue is, nobody in California will sell me one. Some law restricting dealers selling non-compliant exhausts here. But I think I've got that one beat.

Second. Some manufacturers specify a different part number between an exhaust for a 950 Adventure, and a 950 Supermoto. Others use the same part number. I need to know, will they interchange? Especially if I have to buy a used one. Specifically, I'm looking at the FMF Q4 Dual setup.

Any help is appreciated.

Robert
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Heyyy Robert!
Getting new cans are ya? Thinking the FMF's?
There is a thread in RoadWarriors were all us 950SM riders hang out.
I searched exhaust in the thread and got a bunch of hits. I didn't get to look through the results, but I bet someone has run the FMF question across the board. Of course FMF doesn't qualify as search criteria since it is only three letters...

Heres a link to the search
http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=19548569

And a link to the thread(its only a few pages long)
www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153375
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
corndog67 OP
Banned

Sno, I posted the same question over there a while back, and never got a reply. So I'm at a loss here, I guess I could try calling FMF, and I've also got an email into the guys at KTMTwins, and I didn't know it at the time, but I was up at Scuderia West last week, and that is where KTMTwins is based out of also. So I missed out on talking to those guys and asking them in person.

Anyone else have any idea if they are the same?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
cool1442
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have a 950 Super Enduro that has black FMF Q4s that FMF built for KTM. It did not have the inserts when it came to me, so I bought a set from Bryce at FMF. Thee bike is now quieter, gets the same mileage, same temp range and runs smoother. I cant feel any horsepower drain, but it has a lot to spare! One thing I like is that the FMF cans are a little shorter than some other brands and that keeps the heat further away from stuff strapped on my rack.
cool1442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
corndog67 OP
Banned

OK, just got off the phone with Mike from FMF technical department. They are the same.

We're really cooking now.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
if you can make the trip to see Tim Robel...do it!

I did, he fitted some Leo Vince (off a Superduke) , cut them 6 inches short and blacked them out

If you change the exhausts i would INSIST that you get him to remove the smog stuff, o2 etc.. as well

"TIM ROBEL" timrobelconcepts@msn.com
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
kingoftwins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Supermoto and ADV Exhaust ?s

Most aftermarket exhausts for the CARB Adventures and Supermotos will fit up to either bike. The main difference and the reason why they have two different part numbers is because the angle at which the exhaust silencers are hung on the two models is different resulting in a slightly different angle at which the tip of the silencer exists the can. It isn't too noticeable so you can get away with it with no one commenting about it or threat of heating and melting a certain bodypart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Sno, I posted the same question over there a while back, and never got a reply. So I'm at a loss here, I guess I could try calling FMF, and I've also got an email into the guys at KTMTwins, and I didn't know it at the time, but I was up at Scuderia West last week, and that is where KTMTwins is based out of also. So I missed out on talking to those guys and asking them in person.

Anyone else have any idea if they are the same?
kingoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
corndog67 OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftwins View Post
Most aftermarket exhausts for the CARB Adventures and Supermotos will fit up to either bike. The main difference and the reason why they have two different part numbers is because the angle at which the exhaust silencers are hung on the two models is different resulting in a slightly different angle at which the tip of the silencer exists the can. It isn't too noticeable so you can get away with it with no one commenting about it or threat of heating and melting a certain bodypart.

The exact same answer as I got from Ron at KTMTwins yesterday. Thanks for the info. Is this Ron from KTM Twins?