Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #2866
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
I tried to research this question here in the thread, but for some reason the search function doesn't like me.

Do we know if the tech diagram that shows the liquid cooling routing, does in fact show it in it's entirety? I ask, because it seems rather anemic as shown. I know it's a 35/65 % design (liquid to air cooling), but come on, surely there's more to it than one lap around the base of the cylinder. Or are we maybe seeing the result of an internal turf war amongst BMW engineers? Seems to be a somewhat throttled back approach.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #2867
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
After reading this thread for awhile now, this too is my only real concern. The move to LED's can be part of the argument, but not all of it. All 'newer' electronic 'in general' equipment draw less amperage than their predecessors - but some things like heated gear pretty much stay constant.

If I added up all the electrical stuff up for the wife and I when we are two up (in cold weather), using heated gear -top and bottoms-, going to heated seats, gps, extra lights etc. etc. we're close to 40 amps which is 560 watts total.

Doesn't take an engineer to figure that one out.

We're both older and like to stay warm, and I sincerely plan to stay the path on that one.

I thought I read where the new alternator is only rated for 580 watts.

OUCH !!!!!

They really missed the boat on this one. But then again sometimes they have a hard time getting out of their own back yard.

So........ BMW is now telling me that I should leave my wife home from now on....?
That won't necessarily go over to well...

This day and age I would expect alternators to be more compact, efficient and more powerful than before. MAYBE they'll come up with an upgrade kit to a higher rated alternator as an alternative.

Other than that this overall bike upgrade is simply massive.

I love pretty much all that they have done - they have gone in the right direction on a lot of things.

BUT

If I can't have creature comforts when I'm traveling (which safety and comfort are 1 and 2) when it's sometimes cold out - then make no mistake I'll jump the fence and go visit the neighbor and ride his bike. Nufff said.
There seems to be some conflicting data on the alternator..620 in some places and 580 on the USA website. My guess is this is big as they can go using an internal design rather than the old automotive alternator and belt used on previous GS models. Has anyone seen a similar integrated motorcycle alternator with more power than 620?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #2868
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
That and the maintenance costs were stupid high. Luckily I bought the service plan from the dealer for $1400. I made $$ on it after all was said and done.
Interesting!

I found I was paying less annually w/ the Duc for routine maintenance than I paid for routine maintenance on my GS, mainly due to the 15k mile valve service on the MTS vs. the 6k service on the GS.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #2869
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,597
Tiger Explorer 950W

"An alternator that big could be a significant drain on an engine, but Triumph's is an externally excited type that produces only as much power as is required, where most produce full power all the time, most of which is then dumped as waste heat. It even has a freewheeling decoupler so when the engine slows rapidly, the alternator isn't also forced to..."

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #2870
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
I tried to research this question here in the thread, but for some reason the search function doesn't like me.

Do we know if the tech diagram that shows the liquid cooling routing, does in fact show it in it's entirety? I ask, because it seems rather anemic as shown. I know it's a 35/65 % design (liquid to air cooling), but come on, surely there's more to it than one lap around the base of the cylinder. Or are we maybe seeing the result of an internal turf war amongst BMW engineers? Seems to be a somewhat throttled back approach.
The new "water" cooling (hey, it ain't really water) ADDS to the existing oil cooling, it doesn't REPLACE oil cooling. According to the design docs, they use the water cooling for the hottest parts of the engine due to the more efficient thermal transfer properties of glycol vs. oil.

-SM
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #2871
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Just put a deposit down for the new bike. BMW of Marietta GA said they don't expect to receive them until May/June 2013. Beyond excited. First on the list as well
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #2872
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The new "water" cooling (hey, it ain't really water) ADDS to the existing oil cooling, it doesn't REPLACE oil cooling. According to the design docs, they use the water cooling for the hottest parts of the engine due to the more efficient thermal transfer properties of glycol vs. oil.

-SM
Sure oil still provides some cooling, but my understanding is that the water radiator has replaced the oil cooler, correct?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #2873
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMarc View Post
Perhaps this one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I think that might have just been a plastic shroud to conceal the appearance of the new model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
Just remember that it took 2 model years for the Hexhead GSA to show up...it could be the same for the Wethead GSA's?
right.
the plastic shrouds are put over the original bodywork.
So you can take the plastic covers off in just seconds.
This is important for "Verstaubungsfahrten" i.e. riding-test in which you want to test where, and much dust the bike collects.
Additional you need to drive without die camouflage to test aerodynamics in real life.

So this isn't a picture of the 12GS Adv.

Greetings,
Matti
DasMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #2874
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
GSA?

When looking at the area around the throttle bodies this looks a lot wider but it's camouflaged so who knows...

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #2875
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Congrats to the world.

Hello Matti.

Congrats on the wet t shirt bike juggerfest
The all new GS.

I cant wait to see my pick the GSA in Iceland anyway.

Give the corp my best on design and it looks like they did lisen to ADV on this matter.
Apart from the water cool i love the high air inntake.

The bike is a winner 3 times over the rest of the bunch in ergo design and specs.
Anyway Now i want a Diesel version in 2015

I rate this bike the best by far. And thank you for the cruise control BMW.

All my best from the adventure country Iceland

McFury.
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #2876
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Sure oil still provides some cooling, but my understanding is that the water radiator has replaced the oil cooler, correct?
Sure seems to be that way...the oil flow schematic shown in post 2747 doesn't show an oil cooler.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2747

I like the bike...it sort of puts the GS back on the map for me. The wet clutch is key. I think it looks good...in a modern way...I could do without the forked tounge on the beak though. Since all the lights are now LED, the reduced alternator output is a non-issue. And having the oil fill and the sight glass on the same side..genius ! The instruments look tidy--but I would have preferred a digital speedo. The wind protection looks like it could be better --the screen seems to be closer and more angled back toward the rider with bigger ears (the dark grey plastic down low).
Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #2877
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
There's no oil cooler, only the two-sided water radiator (with single fan on the right side). According to the design brief, the ratio went from 22/78 (oil/air cooling) to 35/65 (water/air cooling). Whether there is an internal oil/water heat exchanger like what is found on the new Suzuki VStrom 650 is TBD....unless someone here already knows the answer to that?

-SM
Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #2878
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 339
Hey,

I just realized that they finally moved the oil sight glass to the same side of the bike as the oil fill!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #2879
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
Hey,

I just realized that they finally moved the oil sight glass to the same side of the bike as the oil fill!
speaking of...anyone know what the oil capacity of the new bike is? I won't dare to ask for speculation on viscosity for fear of sparking an oil thread outbreak ;-)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #2880
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Sure seems to be that way...the oil flow schematic shown in post 2747 doesn't show an oil cooler.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2747

Since all the lights are now LED, the reduced alternator output is a non-issue. .
The LED lights are an option so what happens if you don't have that option? There are three headlight options. Similar to what we have, the same but with an LED day light and the full LED light. There are already rumours that the US can't have the LED lights.
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote