ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #5446
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
on the SR10, you can always double tap the PTT button, and your connection between the Montana and headset will be permanent, but then you can't listen to your MP3's.

I did just send the montana crew are request about maybe adding a user configurable feature that sends maybe a tone (then pause) through the audio before spoken directions to trigger bluetooth devices like the SR10. Someone hear said another garmin line already has this option.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #5447
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
on the SR10, you can always double tap the PTT button, and your connection between the Montana and headset will be permanent, but then you can't listen to your MP3's.

I did just send the montana crew are request about maybe adding a user configurable feature that sends maybe a tone (then pause) through the audio before spoken directions to trigger bluetooth devices like the SR10. Someone hear said another garmin line already has this option.
A little off topic but what would be really cool would be if the SM10 could pair one of the two channels not using A2DP but rather the standard Audio protocol - if you so chose. I asked Sena but I don't think it'll happen.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #5448
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
A little off topic but what would be really cool would be if the SM10 could pair one of the two channels not using A2DP but rather the standard Audio protocol - if you so chose. I asked Sena but I don't think it'll happen.

Cheers,
again, the SR10 can do this. It uses the HFP profile to connect to your head set.
you can also pair your phone -> to SR10 -> your head set.
But the Sena headset (smh10) supports 2 HFP devices so I Just pair the phone to SMH10 and the SR10 to the SMH10.
the SR10 does not do A2DP, so it will not sound great (or even stereo) when you plug a MP3 player in to it.
But the montana is only mono, and sounds good through the SR10.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #5449
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Garmin Adventures

I have been using (playing with) Adventures since the release. I have found them to be quite handy in developing my ride activities - not just after the fact.

Here is how I am using them:

I plan my trip in a New List. Once I have my first day complete I create an Adventure from the days track and other data (Waypoints, etc). That Adventure is called Day-1 (not really, I name it something more appropriate like - 05 Oct 2012 Hawk Creek.)

Then I move on to Day-2 and when I'm ready to send all of my trip data to the Montana I just send the Adventures (since they have all of the Waypoints, Tracks, etc. in them. Using Adventures I can name my daily data anything I wish and not worry about duplicate names because each Adventure is separate from BaseCamps My Collection. On the Montana, I won't confuse my riding partners because they only have to open the days Adventure where they will see the days Track/s, Waypoints, Geocaches and Photos.

For you Route users, well it's still a bit confusing since Routes are not included in the Adventure "Content" - even though the Routes are transferred to the Montana they do not show in the Content list. They do show in the Route Planner but now you've lost context to the Adventure.

I have requested that these features be added to Adventures on the Montana:
  • Show Routes in the Adventure Content list.
  • Show CustomMaps and BirdsEye Imagery in the Content list.

For folks creating multi-day trips or Events, Adventures could be a real plus in organization both within BaseCamp and on the GPS's that support them: 62/78, Oregon 450-550, Dakota and of course the Montana. I currently create an Adventure for each Day in a trip where I can see at a glance all of the info for that Day - no confusion as to naming conventions or what Track is for what Date. Easy to find and manage on the GPS for folks not as "in-tune" with the newer Garmin GPS's.

By using Adventures In-Trip, the task of editing and cleanup is much reduced post-trip since all work is done in the Adventure in BaseCamp. Once I'm finished I can publish the ride's Adventures or not.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #5450
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
again, the SR10 can do this. It uses the HFP profile to connect to your head set.
But the Sena headset (smh10) supports 2 HFP devices so I Just pair the phone to SMH10 and the SR10 to the SMH10.
the SR10 does not do A2DP, so it will not sound great (or even stereo) when you plug a MP3 player in to it.
Yes, I am aware of the SR10's capabilities - tested one extensively for a month. But, I was looking for a smaller "simpler" unit and the SM10 is just right - well, if they would do as I requested and allow me to pair a channel via the HFP Audio stream.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #5451
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
For those of you that want a Bluetooth dongle for the Montana, I have been playing with the new Sena SM10. I don't think it was really intended for this purpose but it does work with my Schuberth SRC-S quite well - with the following exception.

If you read the spec's on the SM10 you will see that it supports [only] the A2DP (Stereo Audio) protocols on both of its headset channels (yours and your partners). This is not a problem as far as the Audio stream from the Montana is concerned but if your using your Headset's A2DP channel to stream your music then the SM10 will not play well. Bluetooth specification currently only supports one A2DP Headset channel. So, the last A2DP device pair owns the channel.

For me it's simple, if I want/need Audio Navigation Prompts from the Montana, I'm not going to be listening to Music. So, I do the switching between the SM10 and my iPhone Music which requires I turn off and back on the SRC-S. No big deal.

I know for many, there is the desire to have Music streaming and be awakened from your riding stupor by the sweet voice of Jill (or whomever your vocal pref might be) providing those critical Navigation Directions. Since most Comm Systems must do the switching of channels from A2DP to another audio channel, using something like the Sena SR10 you don't hear the first part of the GPS audio. With my setup, I hear ever word that Jill speaks to me. But then, I'm waiting with anticipation [A2DP is active] to hear from her.

Cheers,
I have this setup for both my 1150GSA & K1200lt. I just did 2 trips on the LT with this setup & found that i need to have an audio booster from the Montana to the AUX port in order to hear Karen (lovely OZ voice) over the wind & yes dare I say it music. I have the SM10 linked to the LT's comm system & it works great, although I think SENA needs to do a firmware up date to allow adjustment of the silencing/muting of the AUDIO channel when the AUX kicks in.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #5452
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
thanks for the confirmation. This is exactly what I want to do. Will the SR10 pair automatically? ie: can I pair it once, have it buried somewhere connected to bike power and just forget about it?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #5453
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
By using Adventures In-Trip, the task of editing and cleanup is much reduced post-trip since all work is done in the Adventure in BaseCamp. Once I'm finished I can publish the ride's Adventures or not,
Speaking of Adventures, I was doing some archiving/deleting through the Track Manager and the tracks associated with Adventures show in the TM, and if you try to archive or delete them, it looks possible but nothing ever happens when you try.

You must delete the Adventure referencing that track first, then go back to Track Manager and delete or archive now works.

And while Archiving, my Montana turned off about every third time I pushed the Archive button.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #5454
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Speaking of Adventures, I was doing some archiving/deleting through the Track Manager and the tracks associated with Adventures show in the TM, and if you try to archive or delete them, it looks possible but nothing ever happens when you try.

You must delete the Adventure referencing that track first, then go back to Track Manager and delete or archive now works.

And while Archiving, my Montana turned off about every third time I pushed the Archive button.
At this stage in Adventure development I can understand that trying to Archive an Adventure Track might cause problems. Even though the Track shows up in the Track Manager, the Adventure app must maintain control over the data within each Adventure. It does that through the ADV file in the Adventures folder. You may have noticed that each ADV file has a unique "name/ID" and that the associated Waypoint, Track, Geocaches and Photo-folder also have that same name/ID.

I just gave Archiving a try with interesting results. The unit archived the Track and did not shutdown. I could go to Archive and bring the Track back in to the active list (Make Favorite) but now the linkage to it's Adventure is broken because the Track was renamed to it's original_name.gpx instead of the Adventure name/ID.gpx.

I guess the bottom line for now is don't mess with Adventure data that is in any of the other Apps: Waypoint Manager, Track Manager, Route Planner, Geocaches, Photo Viewer.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #5455
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I guess the bottom line for now is don't mess with Adventure data that is in any of the other Apps: Waypoint Manager, Track Manager, Route Planner, Geocaches, Photo Viewer,
Hopefully Garmin will remove the Archive/Delete options for items which have dependencies such as Adventures. Makes it a little confusing when it looks like you can do something, but the gps just sits there...

Sorry to hear about your Birdseye problem in Basecamp. Sounds depressing, having to repeat your downloading yet again.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #5456
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sorry to hear about your Birdseye problem in Basecamp. Sounds depressing, having to repeat your downloading yet again.
Thanks. At least they know of the problem (deleting BirdsEye Imagery from the GPS while connected to BaseCamp deletes it from BaseCamp as well).

And yes, when you connect to the Net like I do via Satellite Broadband (with Data Limits), having to do this is not cost effective.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #5457
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I like seeing the temperature display on my Montana!

Considering how often my wife asks me over the intercom what the temperature is, she might end up with a Tempe on her own soon.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #5458
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
thanks for the confirmation. This is exactly what I want to do. Will the SR10 pair automatically? ie: can I pair it once, have it buried somewhere connected to bike power and just forget about it?
Yes, but we should move this thread to Here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703705
Let this thread remain Montana bound
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #5459
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
For those of you that want a Bluetooth dongle for the Montana, I have been playing with the new Sena SM10.
Cheers,
Dan, thanks for the Montana-->SM10 review and gap list. I purchased the Scala G9 headset earlier this summer which says supports the adv audio dist profile (A2DP). I've been wanting to hear Montana Jill on occasion, and the SM10 just may be the missing link to go from wired to wireless device.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #5460
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Ahhh.

Prompted Navigation Directions.

Thank You. :)
Probably the most important aspect of a GPS for me. Tracks are fine if I'm just smelling the flowers and taking in the scenery. But if I'm doing a serious pace, the last thing I need to be doing is staring down at a GPS.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote