ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,493 76.88%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1942. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #391
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I just got a message at work today, Commander Naval Region South West (CNRSW) has put out that lane splitting will not be authorized on all bases under their command.

So now motorcyclists get to sit in line creeping forward with the traffic on the base until we get to the blue line, then lane split all the way home.
Military has been kinda tough toward motorcycles the past couple of years it seems. Makes sense, sort of. GIs being "property" of Uncle Sam and all. I guess the government doesn't want their soldiers getting hurt doing "extracurricular activities", since they spent all that money training and housing them. Still seems odd to me, but I am not military.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #392
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
I think the "oh, I see you now" from the mirror, "you have the right of the way" should also apply to where lane splitting is legal. some angry drivers try want to block once they spoted a motorbike. that really upsets the good guy
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #393
blackbear8502
Great Divide - oct10

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

This is absolutely something that needs to be made legal, it is far safer for us to be able to get out of harms way. I vote YES now!
blackbear8502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #394
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
See my last post. THIS is the attitude we need to change. ...and its coming from 'one of us.'

I highly recommend spending some time in CA before you start making blanket statements. It will literally change your mind about the whole filtering/sharing thing.

I'll start debunking the filtering thing. How many motos do you know that can't out accelerate a car? Even Hardleys can... If you can out accelerate a car, how are you disrespectful and/or encroaching on someone's space cushion by filtering?

IME filter to the front, out accelerate the car next to you, and you've done a few things: A. you're not in the queue at the light. B. you're out of the way even before you get thru the intersection. C. you've facilitated smooth movement thru the intersection by ALL those behind you 'cause they didn't have to wait for yet one more vehicle to go thru the intersection. etc etc etc.

Feelings have nothing to do with any of that.

M
I see, fastest vehicle to the front please. So I guess if my bike of choice is a KLR650 or a 250 I need to move to the edge of the lane to let every Mustang GT or whoever else thinks they are faster move up beside me.
I'm faster so let me up front. Brilliant argument.

Why does everyone keep telling me I need to ride in CA before I can have an opinion when I've already stated I've ridden in CA and the poll was not addressing CA, it was addressing all 50 states.
I don't think I want to be "one of us" because I'm not impressed with "us". Leave me out of it, I've had enough.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #395
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I just got a message at work today, Commander Naval Region South West (CNRSW) has put out that lane splitting will not be authorized on all bases under their command.

They are the traffic geniuses after all.

I got stopped on Pendleton on my bicycle and was ordered to ride on the left-side of the road, facing oncoming traffic. This is univerally agreed as the worst possible way to ride a bicycle, and is illegal in all 50 states and Canada and Europe. Only on US military bases is it considered good practice for a bicycle to accelerate its closing speed toward oncoming vehicles, while attempting to share their lane.

Civilian bike clubs in San Diego even went on base to talk to the command about it. They pointed to some pages in a book they have (written in the 1940s) and said, ride on the left or don't ride here.

Must have come out of the "military intelligence" branch.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #396
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_drz View Post
... some angry drivers try want to block once they spoted a motorbike.
Quite true. Veteran lane-splitters look for it, and you need to be going slow enough to react.

The rule in Cali is, "...in a safe and prudent manner." The LEO's opinion is the final say on the matter in court.

BTW -- lane splitting and filtering in Cali is not encoded in state statute one way or the other. It's all based on a letter issued by the CHP some years ago stating their own position on the matter -- when they will and will not give out "illegal lane change" tickets.

County courts all follow that letter, even at the local cop & sheriff level. So, it's almost a "common law" matter in this state.

In my experience, I've seen and heard of tickets for splitting only when the splitter is doing so in traffic that is actually rolling along. If the traffic is moving at about 40mph or better, you're increasing your odds of getting a ticket.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #397
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
i filter/split on the higways when traffic is going below 40mph. above that speed the spaces between cars increase and there is more of a danger of being cut off. also i don't split at an unsafe speed, ie 60 when traffic is going 15. i usually do about 15 to 20 mph faster than the slow traffic.
i have found that this annoys some riders and i get out of their way when a space opens up.
what the automotive crowd hates are the 75mph splitters. if you are doing that there is no possible way you can react to any obsticle in your way.

when in rush hour traffic i feel safer splitting than riding in line with traffic. i would rather be bumped on the side than be the meat in the sammich.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #398
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I see, fastest vehicle to the front please. So I guess if my bike of choice is a KLR650 or a 250 I need to move to the edge of the lane to let every Mustang GT or whoever else thinks they are faster move up beside me.
I'm faster so let me up front. Brilliant argument.

Why does everyone keep telling me I need to ride in CA before I can have an opinion when I've already stated I've ridden in CA and the poll was not addressing CA, it was addressing all 50 states.
I don't think I want to be "one of us" because I'm not impressed with "us". Leave me out of it, I've had enough.
you call yourself a motorcyclist?

Amazing.

Tell ya what. You ride your ride, I'll ride mine. Mine'll include sharing and filtering where safe. M'kay?

M
Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #399
Lefty23
Trekker

Oddometer: 11
I've been to places where bicycles drive like cars and take up the entire lane. The thinking is that lane spitting is dangerous and that sharing the road means that the bike gets the entire lane.

Boy is it slow going up a hill behind a foot powered bike or waiting for one to brave a left hand turn at an intersection.

I have also seen foot powered bikes cut to the front of the line and then hold up traffic.
Lefty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #400
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty23 View Post
I've been to places where bicycles drive like cars and take up the entire lane. The thinking is that lane spitting is dangerous and that sharing the road means that the bike gets the entire lane.

Boy is it slow going up a hill behind a foot powered bike or waiting for one to brave a left hand turn at an intersection.

I have also seen foot powered bikes cut to the front of the line and then hold up traffic.
True. ...but we're not talking about bicycles. That thread is down in Jo Momma

M
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #401
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
No I don't, the question was not about CA specifically, besides that, I don't want cars coming into my lane. I'm pretty sure most riders here would agree that a four wheeler has no business sharing with a bike, why is it ok the other way around? I don't think it is.

And I have riden in CA, I was stationed there for four years and I rode there and I don't think differently.
If cars started splitting, I bet a few riders would change their minds.
Please explain how a car can fit into a lane occupied by a bike. Thanks.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #402
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I watched the first ten minutes of this, and this is how filtering should be done in my opinion. The rider was not a clown about it, he did it safely, and from what I saw only when traffic was stopped or going VERY slowly. I saw nothing dangerous about it at all. Good job rider Whoever you are.
Thank you. That was me in the video.

I actually grew up not far from you, Kirbyville/Jasper area.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #403
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Please explain how a car can fit into a lane occupied by a bike. Thanks.
I've had one try... Got a boot in his door as a result.

They painted this nifty 'moto lane' up 66 between 123 and Nutley. Extra room bay-bee! (Haven't ridden it yet tho.)

M
Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #404
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
See my last post. THIS is the attitude we need to change. ...and its coming from 'one of us.'

Last I checked, there was no IQ test for motorcycle operation. His other argument, 'you all wouldn't like it if cars did that to you', is also bunk. If I want to allow a car to come to the front or make a right turn, I'll straddle the line, if not, I won't. If a driver wants to straddle the line, that's his/her prerogative, not that it'll affect me much.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #405
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Last I checked, there was no IQ test for motorcycle operation. His other argument, 'you all wouldn't like it if cars did that to you', is also bunk. If I want to allow a car to come to the front or make a right turn, I'll straddle the line, if not, I won't. If a driver wants to straddle the line, that's his/her prerogative, not that it'll affect me much.
You have no idea what my IQ is. You have no idea of anything about me besides my feelings about all 50 states splitting and yet you bring my IQ into this. You probably haven't noticed that I haven't insulted anyone for their riding choices.
Sometimes I'm glad I'm not one of the gang.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote