Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
sending russell back for adjustment, what to tell them?

I got a Russell day long a few months ago for my fjr, I'm going to have to get an adjustment made. The thing is, I'm not sure what needs adjusted.

The issue is two fold as far as I can tell. For one I think the pocket is a bit too far back, which leans me foreward farther than before and puts pressure on my shoulders. The other part of it is that I slide foreward, which puts even more pressure on my shoulders holding myself back. Squeezing the tank with my knees does nothing to help, the tank is slippery.

I have bad shoulders from previous injuries, and they get sore quickly from too much pressure riding. At this point my zx14 is more comfortable than the fjr for that reason.

Worth mentioning I think is that everything feels good going uphill.

I guess the fix would be to move the pocket foreword some and lean it back? I'm hoping that this seat can be got right, it seems like it will be awesome if these issues can be worked out.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
If I were fortunate enough to own a Russell and and FJR, I think I would send them the exact message that you posted here, along with some photos of me sitting on the bike with the Russell installed.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Have you called them and discussed what you don't like about the "fit"? Might be a good place to start.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,540
Is the issue with the seat or the other ergonomics of the bike? Bars, barbacks tried too?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Have you called them and discussed what you don't like about the "fit"? Might be a good place to start.
I tried earlier, got the 'all operators are busy' message. Figured someone here went through the process before and might have some words of wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Is the issue with the seat or the other ergonomics of the bike? Bars, barbacks tried too?
From the way it feels moving the bars back would help, but that wasn't a problem before the seat change. I used to easily have long days without discomfort, now I have actual pain within about 2 hours.

Once my shoulders start hurting I have a small problem on my hands, as I've yet to find anything other than a true 8 to 10 hour break to let them recover. Motrin helps, but I'll be miserable quickly.

Edit- just got through, the guy that built my seat is supposed to call me, she said probably today or tomorrow.

jules083 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 10:35 AM
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,540
When I got my Russel about 40k miles ago I used to have a love -hate relationeship with it. Hate the 1st day then love every other day. I have a Bill Meyer on my oyther bike. Now, the Russel is to me what they claim - an all and every day, day after day saddle! Without question the most comfortable I have used on 100k+ miles.

Your issue could be the where you are sitting (on a long ride one will find several places to sit, forward and back - one cant sit on a thing the size of a bar stool all day and claim recliner comfort!). I would guess though that shoulder and arm are more ergo related .

Looking at the construction of the Russel, I dont believe that there is much they can do.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
When I got my Russel about 40k miles ago I used to have a love -hate relationeship with it. Hate the 1st day then love every other day. I have a Bill Meyer on my oyther bike. Now, the Russel is to me what they claim - an all and every day, day after day saddle! Without question the most comfortable I have used on 100k+ miles.

Your issue could be the where you are sitting (on a long ride one will find several places to sit, forward and back - one cant sit on a thing the size of a bar stool all day and claim recliner comfort!). I would guess though that shoulder and arm are more ergo related .

Looking at the construction of the Russel, I dont believe that there is much they can do.
I believe that ergo's have become a part of it, although it wasn't a problem before. The best I can figure is to move the pocket forward, and one way or another stop the slide-forward somehow. Maybe angle it back some, I don't know.

It feels like moving the bars back a few inches would get the Bike back to where it was, so logically I should try to move myself forward. As you know the Russell plants you in one spot and doesn't allow the movement of most other seats.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
Get some kind of non slip pad to put on the seat. I would suggest about 1" thick. Put it towards the rear of the seat which will effectively move you farther forward in the pocket. Ride the bike with the pad and see how your shoulders do. Trial and error and then find where you're most comfortable.

You will then be able to tell RDL what it needs.

I have had three RDL seats.
RDL seats are great. I have had three! They have earned the Bigdon Seal of Approval! Whatever that's worth.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
the slipping could be a factor of seat material and pattern as well... smooth vinyl with no pattern will prolly slip/slide you more than another material or even a pattern weaved into the vinyl. just a thought.

the seat bucket on my seat concepts seat on the Wee is too far back for me. same for a buddy of mine who bought the SC seat. he called SC and they couldn't change the location of the bucket since their foam comes pre-molded. may not be an issue with Russell...
DirtRider.... is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Get some kind of non slip pad to put on the seat. I would suggest about 1" thick. Put it towards the rear of the seat which will effectively move you farther forward in the pocket. Ride the bike with the pad and see how your shoulders do. Trial and error and then find where you're most comfortable.

You will then be able to tell RDL what it needs.

I have had three RDL seats.
RDL seats are great. I have had three! They have earned the Bigdon Seal of Approval! Whatever that's worth.
Good idea. I'm off on Sunday, ill try it then. I really want this thing right, its the most comfortable seat I've ever felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider.... View Post
the slipping could be a factor of seat material and pattern as well... smooth vinyl with no pattern will prolly slip/slide you more than another material or even a pattern weaved into the vinyl. just a thought.

the seat bucket on my seat concepts seat on the Wee is too far back for me. same for a buddy of mine who bought the SC seat. he called SC and they couldn't change the location of the bucket since their foam comes pre-molded. may not be an issue with Russell...

It is vinyl, so that is probably a contributing factor. The Russell is custom made, so the pocket can be anywhere within reason.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Try plain english. I am sure they have heard it and since they are the seat builders, let them build it. You know what you are looking for and the position you want and cahanges you want. Tell them your goals and let them figure out how to do it, that is what you are paying them for. Be spacific, send pics of you RIDING if possible, instead of sitting on the seat. Tell them every detail of what you need and want. That will help them a lot.
Most of the time just a simple direct conversation will work better than anything else.
Good Luck.

txwanderer screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 02:29 PM
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote