Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #13786
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,846
Laugh Forks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Obviously all those nasty porky bike comments have upset the engineers at YAMAHA and they are hitting back at the critics..

Welcome the new cross plane YAMAHA triple..Is this the new X-XJ-750?

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/10/0...riple-concept/

Don't know how the new 750 Tenere will hold up in the rough though.

Am I the only who noticed that forks and brake calipers look like Super Ténéré items? This is more apparent in the higher resolution pics over on the "Hell For Leather" web site.

Needless to say, the wheels are not S-10 parts, but the forks sure look like it to me, and are awfully long to be on any sort of sport bike.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #13787
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Am I the only who noticed that forks and brake calipers look like Super Ténéré items? This is more apparent in the higher resolution pics over on the "Hell For Leather" web site.

Needless to say, the wheels are not S-10 parts, but the forks sure look like it to me, and are awfully long to be on any sort of sport bike.

Dallara

~
I'm surprised, You of all people should have caught the close resemblance to the Ducati
frame as well.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #13788
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
The trip meter can be reset?
As well as the average fuel consumption.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #13789
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,846
Laugh Just Ducky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm surprised, You of all people should have caught the close resemblance to the Ducati
frame as well

Gotta' say I have a few doubts about the rigidity, but you gotta' admit it looks like it's lightweight...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #13790
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
...but the forks sure look like it to me, and are awfully long to be on any sort of sport bike.

Dallara

~

That's because the bike is gonna' have a 32-degree rake, and will be the latest model in their "Star" line.

They're just dickin' with us....

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #13791
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Thumb

I have had my XTZ for well over a year now and frankly I am a critic of the power modes and defaulting to TC1. Riding around town it isn't the sportiest feeling bike around although I find myself going much faster than I expect. That said I just got back from a 2000 mile ride to Glacier NP. Highest mileage day was 506 miles. Did about 100 miles of rough river rock 2 track. Many miles of twisty MT backroads. Too much superslab trying to get home for my anniversary. In the end the XTZ was an awesome tourer. I had ZERO issues. My ass was not perfect but fairly comfortable. The handlebars are a bad bend but didn't suffer much although my back was the first to fatigue from the bend. I found myself riding fairly spirited running into the low 100mphs (GPS). Speedometer is 8% optimistic. On rough dirt 2 track the suspension and handling was superb. Before the XTZ I had an extremely well modified DR650 with Cogent Dynamic Suspension, Gold Valves... The XTZ will eat any DR up on rough 2-Track (not rock crawling but fast and rough). The bike is extremely well planted and even with Tourance EXPs rarely slipped traveling well over the speed limits. I never felt any desire to turn off the ABS it worked great in all conditions I encountered. My SW Motech skid plate is likely the best insurance I bought for the bike and definitely took some hits by some big river rock. For whipping through city traffic I like my Multistrada 1100 best, for on road touring it is a tough call but the Tenere is more roomy and comfortable and handles nearly as well. Off-paved surfaces I am truly impressed with the Yamaha. As for me 30+ years off road vet B enduro rider. 15 years on road. Sorry about the randomness of this but it is late.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #13792
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 402
Thats good to hear. My previous bike was a KLR (also with redone suspension) and I too feel the Tenere is better in the dirt. I did about 1,500 miles of dirt road mixed with double track and ATV trails this summer in Idaho, and I agree that the bike is very planted and suprisingly good in the dirt. The suspension is awesome in my opinion.

I put on the Altrider plate and bars, and I would have a dead Tenere if i hadn't. The bash plate has taken some good hits and scrapes on rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
I have had my XTZ for well over a year now and frankly I am a critic of the power modes and defaulting to TC1. Riding around town it isn't the sportiest feeling bike around although I find myself going much faster than I expect. That said I just got back from a 2000 mile ride to Glacier NP. Highest mileage day was 506 miles. Did about 100 miles of rough river rock 2 track. Many miles of twisty MT backroads. Too much superslab trying to get home for my anniversary. In the end the XTZ was an awesome tourer. I had ZERO issues. My ass was not perfect but fairly comfortable. The handlebars are a bad bend but didn't suffer much although my back was the first to fatigue from the bend. I found myself riding fairly spirited running into the low 100mphs (GPS). Speedometer is 8% optimistic. On rough dirt 2 track the suspension and handling was superb. Before the XTZ I had an extremely well modified DR650 with Cogent Dynamic Suspension, Gold Valves... The XTZ will eat any DR up on rough 2-Track (not rock crawling but fast and rough). The bike is extremely well planted and even with Tourance EXPs rarely slipped traveling well over the speed limits. I never felt any desire to turn off the ABS it worked great in all conditions I encountered. My SW Motech skid plate is likely the best insurance I bought for the bike and definitely took some hits by some big river rock. For whipping through city traffic I like my Multistrada 1100 best, for on road touring it is a tough call but the Tenere is more roomy and comfortable and handles nearly as well. Off-paved surfaces I am truly impressed with the Yamaha. As for me 30+ years off road vet B enduro rider. 15 years on road. Sorry about the randomness of this but it is late.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #13793
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Just a quick blip...

I added the brightest headlight bulbs you can get a couple days ago: 4500k 55w HID's. Super pleased with the output. The projector housings work great with them, and the low beam cutoff is still as sharp as ever (so no offending oncoming traffic). Clicking into high beam is just awesome. They (shining on the back wall) light up my entire garage more than my florescent light fixtures.

For $60 for the pair, with lifetime warranties, I'd highly recommend the setup to anyone, especially if you're considering auxiliary lighting... try these first.

Most brands will be comparable, but I went with DDM Tuning. No affiliation, but that's what I have on my WRR, and had in the fog lights of my last bike. My only complaint is they ship direct from China and it took a good 2 weeks.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #13794
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Just a quick blip...

I added the brightest headlight bulbs you can get a couple days ago: 4500k 55w HID's. Super pleased with the output. The projector housings work great with them, and the low beam cutoff is still as sharp as ever (so no offending oncoming traffic). Clicking into high beam is just awesome. They (shining on the back wall) light up my entire garage more than my florescent light fixtures.

For $60 for the pair, with lifetime warranties, I'd highly recommend the setup to anyone, especially if you're considering auxiliary lighting... try these first.

Most brands will be comparable, but I went with DDM Tuning. No affiliation, but that's what I have on my WRR, and had in the fog lights of my last bike. My only complaint is they ship direct from China and it took a good 2 weeks.
Clueless here. Do you remember the part number. Was it just bulbs or did you have to
add the ballasts too?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #13795
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Clueless here. Do you remember the part number. Was it just bulbs or did you have to
add the ballasts too?
It's a universal kit.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Select 55 Watt
Select H7 Bulb
Select 4500 K color temperature (this is straight clear/white. Any higher temperature has blue painted on the bulb, therefor reducing the effective output, and any lower temperature has yellow painted on them, with the same results)

Each side has 2 parts, a bulb and a ballast (with attached igniter).

The bulb goes in normal, but you drill a hole in the back of the cover for the grommet/wires to come straight out.

The ballast can mount anywhere within about 10" of the bulb. I put mine on the inside and under the winglets mounting holes. One on each side (symmetrical like). The ignitor and connectors tucked behind the side panels so they're hidden. The ballasts are fastened with three heavy duty zip ties each, and are solid as a rock. I don't mind the look (you have to look in there to actually see them), but you could probably hide them behind the side panels completely if you wanted.

You can see one bulb and ballast here, with wires going behind the cowling. You can also see the sheethed red/black wires above the light which come from the other side ballast where they join behind that ballast, and run down to the relay by the battery.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #13796
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Could you provide details on how you did it?

Thank you for the great information!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #13797
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Could you provide details on how you did it?

Thank you for the great information!

My heated grips should come in next week, so when I take it back apart I'll get some internal wiring pictures.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #13798
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
My heated grips should come in next week, so when I take it back apart I'll get some internal wiring pictures.
I was teasing. Good information.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #13799
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,484
Quote:
Just a quick blip...

you got my attention

this is all plug and play?? mount the ballast, take out factory bulb and new bulb goes right in? factory harness plugs into ballast harness and ballast harness plugs into new bulb? no problems with the shutters or heat? im guessing you have to add the dual in, dual out harness to that kit?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #13800
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

I much prefer to make my own harness with a simpe relay and fuse or circuit breaker. It's not a true plug and play. It could be, it comes that way from the factory, but you don't want to run 55w HIDs through the factory wiring, especially with the known weak connectors.
35w HIDs should be fine with factory wiring. 55w you'll want to run a harness or relay.

Besides that, yeah, mount the ballasts and the bulbs fit right in.