Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
1977 Celica GT was my first car. It'll hold 8 people
Eight? Pfft. We had 14 people in my buddy Russell's '77 GT Liftback one time.

Well, in might be a bit of a stretch. There were some legs outside the hatch.

Russell had that car in the mid '80s. The 14-people incident was after a group of us watched "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" at the Astro Triple on College Avenue in Clemson, SC. I was 14, and so were most of the other people in the car except Russell, who was 17.

Love those old Celicas.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
The Celica became a FWD car and soon after the 86.5 Supra came out, the Supras went more into super car territory and the Celica eventually became a hairdressers car.

I disagree that the Scion FR-S should be called the Celica, the new FR-S is a pure RWD sports car which the last time a Celica was RWD was over 25rys ago! Even though it's roots were as a RWD sports car, it spent more time as a sporty FWD (save the all-tracs) sporty coupe. And it definitely doesn't deserve to be called a Supra either since it's only a 4cyl.
I agree. The FR-S looks back at the the 2000GT, S800 and the Corolla GT-S. In Japan and Europe it's called the GT-86 which I think is what they should have called it in the US, Toyota like using letters and not numbers here in the US though.

I always liked the GT-Four's. Carlos Sainz won the WRC Driver Titles in '90 and '92 in his ST185.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #33
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
I agree GT-86 would be a better name. Kinda reminds you of the AE86, another cool old rwd Toyota.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
I agree GT-86 would be a better name. Kinda reminds you of the AE86, another cool old rwd Toyota.
AE86 is just a chassis designation. The name only caught on outside Japan through the Manga and Anime Initial-D. The AE86 is the 1985-1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S in North American Markets. Corolla Levin and Sprinter Trueno, GT-Apex and GTV were the other model names used in Japan. The AE86 was also used in Group A and N rally racing which is another reason it was popular back in the day.

Oh and that's a Gen2 Celica next to it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #35
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
^That's some bad ass rally action right! I've never seen a Corolla rallying before, just the All-Trac Celicas, neat to see the old 2nd gen and a Corolla though.

This '74 is for sale on our local craigslist, probably drives alot like it originally did with that truck engine just with more modern fueling and better reliability
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3282175046.html

Dukeryder screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 01:49 AM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #36
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
I noticed today that one of the front upper suspension mounts is cracked. Bloody annoying.

They are cheap enough to buy.

Anyone know if its an easy job to replace them? Any special tools or method required?
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #37
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
I've never seen a Corolla rallying before...
They're everywhere mate!

Even Carlos SAINZ used to drive one, after the Celica's of course... (then the bastards pulled their dollars from Rally and sent them to F1 instead dopey Toyota management!)

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #38
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post

The FR-S should have been a Celica.
Bah. Not every new car needs to be named after an old car. Let them do something new for a change -- and I'm glad they did as the FR-S/BRZ is a fabulous, pure little sports car in its own right and doesn't need to be tied down to the past.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #39
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I agree. The FR-S looks back at the the 2000GT, S800 and the Corolla GT-S. In Japan and Europe it's called the GT-86 which I think is what they should have called it in the US, Toyota like using letters and not numbers here in the US though.

I always liked the GT-Four's. Carlos Sainz won the WRC Driver Titles in '90 and '92 in his ST185.
If I remember correctly, didn't the Toyota factory team get caught cheating with their turbos, or some piece thereof, that was machined to allow more air intake? I seem to recall reading this some years back and Toyota pulled out of WRC "ashamed"... I know somebody around here must know the story better than I.

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #40
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow10 View Post
I noticed today that one of the front upper suspension mounts is cracked. Bloody annoying.

They are cheap enough to buy.

Anyone know if its an easy job to replace them? Any special tools or method required?

I guess you'd need a spring compressor.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #41
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Klaun View Post
If I remember correctly, didn't the Toyota factory team get caught cheating with their turbos, or some piece thereof, that was machined to allow more air intake? I seem to recall reading this some years back and Toyota pulled out of WRC "ashamed"... I know somebody around here must know the story better than I.
From wikipedia:

"In 1993 Toyota Motor Corporation bought TTE which then renamed Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG). At this time, as a fully owned part of Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota Motorsport were employing 300 staff from 17 nations.

In 1995 TTE was famously banned for 12 months from the WRC for cheating by designing a illegal air restrictor on the ST205 that included both a bypass mechanism and spring-loaded devices to conceal it from scrutineers.[1] In the 1996 and 1997, despite lack of works team appearance in 1996 due to the ban, TTE supported the Celica ST205 rallied by Italian HF Grifone Team, Toyota Team Sweden, Marlboro Toyota Team Belgium, and Tein Sport in the selected WRC events, before introduced the Corolla WRC in the 1997 Rally of Finland. When they returned to the WRC for 1998, they did so with a Corolla WRC driven by the crews of Carlos Sainz/Luis Moya and Didier Auriol/Denis Giraudet. They finished the season in second overall in both the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships.

In 1999, however, the manufacturers championship was taken, the third in TTE's existence."
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: