Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
If you do want to build bodies for left side mounting and only want to develop the bodies, We are willing to supply left side mount chassis and mounting hardware. Of course our car wheels and front end mods work for both left and right side mount. If several were ordered all at the same time they could be stacked in one crate making shipping a lot less expensive.
We would go with our M72D type chassis and can develop mounts as we have bikes into the shop. Right now we only have a very few bikes that we make both left and right side mounts for.
We are also looking for an importer / dealer for our sidecars. Once we have two firm orders unless we work out some other sort of deal we are planing on making our M72D type sidecars in left side mount.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
jay@dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Was tinkering with the idea of knocking up a batch of ural style bodies
Or a rally/camper body (like some of the Aussie outfits here) to bolt onto a Ural chassis? Lots of those around, not necessarily attached to Urals...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Talking A plan?

Ok there has been some very good input here.
Ausguy could do with a 3rd wheel. Getting over major ops is a challenge.
I have found even reletively minor ops a challenge.
What machine do you need an extra wheel for?
Mixr you are correct I suppose in the need for a new thread but if it does not upset anyone I will post once more here . Or even if it does
You made some very good points these showing us the benefit of your experiences so far, thanks.
I would not be able to cater for all types of machines available so most likely build something I think would work for me and just offer to share some like it with a few like minded friends.
Even the question of why to attempt to manufacture something for such an obscure market with such little likelyhood of significant reward?
But it is much more satisfying to actually do something than to do nothing. I found this when I imported the the Chiang chairs. The experience does not have to be perfect to be a good experience.
Jay's imput was very helpful also, it showed that we even with our liking for the unusual in transport, if we work together, can get the things we want.
I like the idea of combining the expertise of those who build the chassis, suspensions and subframe. with locally made bodies.
Even better if all a made locally but volume production makes for a better product in terms of price/quality.
I would like to upgrade the chair on my VStrom and so will probably sell the Chiang chair at some stage after building a replacement with more suspension travel etc.
Will just have to pull finger and make a start.
It is just as easy once I get the drawings done on computer for the panels of the sidecar boat to make some extras.
Current thought is for a body that tilts up from the front but looks more like a normal body.
Brendan, getting enough work mate?
Cheers all, Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Unique or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Mixr you are correct I suppose in the need for a new thread but if it does not upset anyone I will post once more here . Or even if it does
No problem Bruce, just saying that this deserves its own thread.

Whatever you do, there is a lot of 'experience' here in Aus to help you figure out what works, what doesn't work, and what the market is. Some is 'build' experience, some is 'making it fit' experience, and some is 'living with it' experience. My 2 cents says that it is critical to have a high degree of flexibility based on a common body/chassis/frame.

A huge problem I came across was that every thing I looked at was 'different' in far too many ways. That means every chair is 'unique'. Damned nuisance in some respects. The uniqueness should come from what you add or subtract, not from the basic frame and body, particularly if you are catering to a focused market. The flexibility needs to be in the bolt-ons, not in the base structure. Jay (DMC) has some good points about that.

I look forward to seeing where you take this. Cheers, Mick.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,525
G'day Bruce I have been working of sorts !!!! In regards as to what has been said so far about manufacturing sidecars, I believe there is a market for it but a somewhat limited one due to our smallish 21+ million population with a good percentage of our biking community probably thinking that outfits are for weirdos or for people who can't handle having 2 wheels.

In what Rosco has mentioned there may be a demand for alternate bodies for Ural outfits but cost would be expensive depending on what the end user specifies. Maybe a modular design would be better suited if one was to manufacture rally/camper bodies. Mounting hardware is a different story as each customers requirements i.e. bike/chair combo would be different, so custom made subframes may be the norm. I am in the belief that a well (over) engineered subframe is the go, especially with our crappy roads. I have had the luxury of being shown what is well engineered and what isn't and I do get a bit horrified as to what I see sometimes. If we are to make sidecars more popular here in Oz again I think price and quality construction are a major concern and to make it appealing to the broader community. As the old saying goes - once bitten twice shy.

As to what Jay has already mentioned they are looking for an agent so maybe its time someone stood up and grabbed the bull by the horns so to speak and took it on. I would imagine that Claude Stanley would also be more than happy to export and manufacture his chairs to left hand fitment as well providing he gets enough orders to suffice retooling.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,208
Bruce we have to catch up and you can have a look at the body on my PD.

Although the idea of a left side DMC does sound great on a modified 1200GSA ( be really keen for 1 )
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
Snip....
As to what Jay has already mentioned they are looking for an agent so maybe its time someone stood up and grabbed the bull by the horns so to speak and took it on. I would imagine that Claude Stanley would also be more than happy to export and manufacture his chairs to left hand fitment as well providing he gets enough orders to suffice retooling.
No real big problems on doing a left mount for us. No real re tooling required for the sidecar or body itself. If someone over there was interested in doing the subframe and handling the export issues we would be more than happy to do what we can to make it happen. We can provide critical parts for the subframe but I am a little learing of doing them using fixtures etc.. I am not saying we would not consider doing jigged subframes however.
Note that We can also do bodies with minor or major modifications or total custom designs if desired. Many times the cost of such things does not increae the overall outlay much if anything.
1/8" aluminum or 16ga. steel. Typical finish is powdercoating or they could be left bare metal.
HOWEVER....That body of Bully's looks darn good......he just may be your man :-)

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Laugh Call

Hey bully you've got my number give us a buzz.
Cheers, Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
We now have enough orders for our M72DX sidecar for left side fitment as we have a large enough order going to the UK to go forward with the sidecar. For now it will only be for the R1200GS but as we receive orders for other bikes as we have bikes in our shop to develop the mounts off of we will offer the sidecar for more bikes.
We are still looking for an agent in all countries other then the USA and Canada for both left and right side mount sidecars.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post

Bully this looks fantastic shame your on the other side the country as I would love to have look at it close up.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #26
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
Bully this looks fantastic shame your on the other side the country as I would love to have look at it close up.

+1
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote