ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,490 76.84%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.80%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1939. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #406
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
That statement right, there.

I just cant fathom the idea that there might be a rare occurrence of having a car in front. Maybe I need to move.
Get a Speed Triple. When you ride a Speed Triple there always seems to be a car in front of you. You pass it and before you know it there's another... and another ... and another...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #407
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The poll is not complete.
I voted NO, but not because it's dangerous. I voted NO because I don't want someone else squeezing into my lane uninvited, so it's not right for me to do it to them.

Selfish bastard.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #408
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Let's all go to Waynesboro, PA and pass Ray in his own lane. I hear he likes that.

ray h I know you believe what you are saying but you are coming across as an idiot. You have no logic to your posts.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #409
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Thank you. That was me in the video.

I actually grew up not far from you, Kirbyville/Jasper area.

That is some good riding through the city. I do not have that opportunity. Tyler really doesn't have traffic anywhere near that.

How did you make it to DC from such a small town? Although, a distant cousin of mine from Center went to the Air Force and somehow ended up being one of the official White House photographers She traveled the world for all of Bush's last term, and the first two years of Obama. So many pictures of their trips, it is really cool. She is now teaching and going to grad school at Georgetown. All that from a country girl from tiny Center, TX.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #410
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Let's all go to Waynesboro, PA and pass Ray in his own lane. I hear he likes that.

ray h I know you believe what you are saying but you are coming across as an idiot. You have no logic to your posts.
I am 100% pro filtering/sharing, but as a truck driver I can relate why professional drivers don't like it.
Long vans step in several feet on turns, double and triple trailers tend to drift and wander depending on road and wind conditions, plus being wider can all make having a bike that close a bit disconcerting.

But I must admit in 20+ years, and million+ of miles driving there has only been a couple of time it has been an issue, it seems even the most foolhardy riders respect the danger.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #411
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
I wouldn't go to Lewis and Tomkins for legal advice.
In DC "
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single
lane and shall not be moved from that lane until the driver has first
ascertained that such movement can be made with safety;
ray h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #412
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
Motorcycle riders lane split.
They ride their bikes.
Motorcycle drivers wont.
They drive their bikes like a car.

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #413
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

That is some good riding through the city. I do not have that opportunity. Tyler really doesn't have traffic anywhere near that.

How did you make it to DC from such a small town? Although, a distant cousin of mine from Center went to the Air Force and somehow ended up being one of the official White House photographers She traveled the world for all of Bush's last term, and the first two years of Obama. So many pictures of their trips, it is really cool. She is now teaching and going to grad school at Georgetown. All that from a country girl from tiny Center, TX.
Same here, I was in the Military for many years.

Quote:
In DC "
That's about as clear as mud.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #414
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,758

Quote:
In DC "

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #415
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,921
^ Wide loads do exist...
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #416
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
One thing I'd ask the naysayers is, have they ever ridden in a country where it is common/encouraged?

When I was filtering in the states, I found car drivers generally were surprised (and responded poorly) when I did it. In most big european cities, it is a lot more common to see them notice you and certainly not unusual for them to move over and let you pass.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #417
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
One thing I'd ask the naysayers is, have they ever ridden in a country where it is common/encouraged?

When I was filtering in the states, I found car drivers generally were surprised (and responded poorly) when I did it. In most big european cities, it is a lot more common to see them notice you and certainly not unusual for them to move over and let you pass.
Those of us advocating for sharing have probably ridden in CA or outside the country. Those that are saying 'its too dangerous' probably haven't done either.

Least that's been my experience. There IS the odd duck that does live in CA that won't lane share, but they're the oddballs, not the rest of us.

M
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #418
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've had one try... Got a boot in his door as a result.

They painted this nifty 'moto lane' up 66 between 123 and Nutley. Extra room bay-bee! (Haven't ridden it yet tho.)

M
Now that is a good thought. A lane only wide enough for a two wheeler to run, illegal for vehiles that don't fit. That would make sense from a legal standpoint. Other vehicle operators would have no legal reason to question it and would be subject to prosecution if they break the law by cutting off or encroaching on said lane. If they want to use it - buy a bike!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #419
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post

I've talked with people who have driven in Europe and they said most drivers there will lane share in almost any circumstance.

A friend started a pass then some car was coming at him head on. A woman beside him in a Mercedes moved over to allow him to get in the lane to avoid the oncoming car. I don't remember all the specifics, but it wasn't him being reckless it was a situation that called for action and the Mercedes driver did the job, knowingly and willingly sharring the lane.

I've talked to riders who said if there was room a lot of drivers lane share with cars that are passing - essentially making a two lane road three lanes.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #420
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
I've talked with people who have driven in Europe and they said most drivers there will lane share in almost any circumstance.

A friend started a pass then some car was coming at him head on. A woman beside him in a Mercedes moved over to allow him to get in the lane to avoid the oncoming car. I don't remember all the specifics, but it wasn't him being reckless it was a situation that called for action and the Mercedes driver did the job, knowingly and willingly sharring the lane.

I've talked to riders who said if there was room a lot of drivers lane share with cars that are passing - essentially making a two lane road three lanes.
Yabbutt... that's Yurp. That shit won't fly here! They'll run ya into the oncoming car insteada moving.

M