Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #181
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjturbo View Post
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. If your bike is good on PNW single tracks it is not good on the highway. If it is good on the highway it is not good on PNW single track. I'm sure the OP will agree with this. BUT, we still keep trying to find one that is.

Phil

ps: I know a lot of KTM riders that agree with this.
The best you can do is find a compromise that fits you
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #182
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
The OP must be a lite weight bloke to ride a fully laden CRF230 on single track? I've ridden one but found it just didn't have any grunt when I needed it, especially on anything steep! so handed it back to my nephew and climbed back on the 450 husky....no worries getting where yo want to go one of those At the end of the day, small bikes are fun but have their limitations for dual sporting/adventuring. For me my 690 is the best fit for the riding I love to do. I only wish it had a button I could push to change it into a 990 for some bits and a 450 exc for other bits
Not according to this

Looks like a fairly good size feller on that little bike.

He's awful angry for a guy that takes pictures of flowers and buzzes around on gravel roads.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797538

Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #183
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,449
What about a Honda CRF150R with dual sport kit? 185 lbs of Honda fury!

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #184
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post

So what about it ?
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #185
acesandeights
Asperger

It was a post related to the OP and his needs and whether he had considered a CRF150R. It was a question, not a statement, and posed to the OP (so the answer would not be mine to give). I could have misunderstood your post though and maybe you were just bumping this thread to get a response from the OP as well. Well played, hope that helps.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #186
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
My 110 lb wife loves hers
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #187
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Some folks have shared a lot of good information on this thread. Thanks! Yeah, I have thought about the 650s a lot, valid choice. Nice to hear what riders think and experience with their riding.

itsdam why the need for personal attack? Not ok on the Forum as far as I knew, but perhaps crap is tolerated on the Forum?

Soooo,you started a thread asking peoples opinons,then if you dont agree with that opinon,those inmates are giving you crap.

Sweet!I love these threads.

KTM is better then BMW.

Synthetic oil rules,Dino sucks.

I dont think Jap bikes cant compete with the Euro's.

Enduro is better then rally.

East Coast is better then West Coast.

Rock n roll is better then country.

Blondes are better then brunets.

And damnit,,i like to see nipples in Toxic Brittney!

That should cover all noob questions from here on in.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".

AWM screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 05:01 PM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #188
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
There's nipples? I'm outta here!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #189
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
I agree, Phil, and I ride some of the same areas you probably do and have in the past. At a certain point, when struggling with the inevitable failure of a swiss army knife motorcycle, most of us end up with more than one bike.

Also, at the point anyone is struggling with the last 5% of machine fitness, it's best [imo] to spend the time on skill improvement, and banish the hairsplitting. Kill the gap with rider skill. The hand-wringing can make you crazy.
I agree
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #190
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
I must say, I don't really understand the hostility in this thread. The OP posted a legitimate question. A question most of us have measured to different conclusions. I responded a few times, addressing issues I have experienced. The OP seems to be dragging the discussion out, but he should!

When we ride these places solo, it is very personal and dangerous even. We buy special satellite rescue services to help the unknown. Skill levels are very wide among us posters.

I'd like to see the continuation of this thread and have the know-it-alls fuck off.

You know who you are, but if you want, I am I am happy to re-post your shit.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #191
acesandeights
Asperger

The OP didn't really come asking a question, though it might seem he did. He made a statement, that the "dog" is the best out there. That's what he really did, under the guise of a question. The OP has enough experience (just listen to him tell you) that he knows what works for him. He doesn't need help choosing a bike, and it really has nothing to do with his post. He's trolling, and he's gotten lots of bites.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #192
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
The OP didn't really come asking a question, though it might seem he did. He made a statement, that the "dog" is the best out there. That's what he really did, under the guise of a question. The OP has enough experience (just listen to him tell you) that he knows what works for him. He doesn't need help choosing a bike, and it really has nothing to do with his post. He's trolling, and he's gotten lots of bites.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #193
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
I'm going to reply to this thread and then run away really fast!

I like hearing that people like their little bikes. I started riding in January on a rebel250 and did a 4200 mile trip during July. I wish I had a t-shirt made that said "If you tell me my bike is going to "blow up" you owe me $1.00" I could have financed the entire trip! (I never did figure out what people meant by blow up......) huh. I rode some freeways (including through LA, cruising at 70, no problem) I'm a fatass, the bike is a 250 and I had one of the best solo trips in my life.

So, after getting caught up in this forum I just bought a xt250. I've never ridden dirt (except on a quad, and that doesn't count!) so I wanted a short bike without too much power to learn on. I've commuted to work on it a few times - it seems to like 65 mph max on the freeway and that's cool, I bought it for touring on 2 lanes and dirt. I know I'm not going to do fast riding on dirt roads and tracks - I like to sightsee too much. :loll But that could always change as I learn! Then maybe I'll look at bigger bikes.....

I like big bikes too. I haven't had a chance to own one yet (might get a bigger road bike in a few years if finances allow), but my little guy has done everything I've asked of him and I don't feel ready for a heavier bike. One of my friends was royally pissed when I told her about my new bike - "you bought another 250!!" She wanted me to be able to 90 on the freeway during group rides. I don't want to do 90, I don't drive my truck over 80....This is from a woman who has dropped her big street bike about 6 times during parking lot maneuvers since I've known her......

When I started backpacking my friends and I didn't have money to buy expensive tents and gor-tex jackets - we brought heavy duty trash bags and slept in $5 tube tents. Still had a blast!

If I had more money would I have bought different bikes? Maybe, don't know, but I do know I've had a lot of fun with what I have. I just really like bikes! Kumbaya!!!!

btw: The pic with the bike dumped over and everything spread across the road reminded me of a term used in sea kayaking. If you're coming in through surf with a boat loaded for touring and dump it's called a "garage sale"

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #194
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I'm going to reply to this thread and then run away really fast!

I like hearing that people like their little bikes. I started riding in January on a rebel250 and did a 4200 mile trip during July. I wish I had a t-shirt made that said "If you tell me my bike is going to "blow up" you owe me $1.00" I could have financed the entire trip! (I never did figure out what people meant by blow up......) huh. I rode some freeways (including through LA, cruising at 70, no problem) I'm a fatass, the bike is a 250 and I had one of the best solo trips in my life.

So, after getting caught up in this forum I just bought a xt250. I've never ridden dirt (except on a quad, and that doesn't count!) so I wanted a short bike without too much power to learn on. I've commuted to work on it a few times - it seems to like 65 mph max on the freeway and that's cool, I bought it for touring on 2 lanes and dirt. I know I'm not going to do fast riding on dirt roads and tracks - I like to sightsee too much. :loll But that could always change as I learn! Then maybe I'll look at bigger bikes.....

I like big bikes too. I haven't had a chance to own one yet (might get a bigger road bike in a few years if finances allow), but my little guy has done everything I've asked of him and I don't feel ready for a heavier bike. One of my friends was royally pissed when I told her about my new bike - "you bought another 250!!" She wanted me to be able to 90 on the freeway during group rides. I don't want to do 90, I don't drive my truck over 80....This is from a woman who has dropped her big street bike about 6 times during parking lot maneuvers since I've known her......

When I started backpacking my friends and I didn't have money to buy expensive tents and gor-tex jackets - we brought heavy duty trash bags and slept in $5 tube tents. Still had a blast!

If I had more money would I have bought different bikes? Maybe, don't know, but I do know I've had a lot of fun with what I have. I just really like bikes! Kumbaya!!!!

btw: The pic with the bike dumped over and everything spread across the road reminded me of a term used in sea kayaking. If you're coming in through surf with a boat loaded for touring and dump it's called a "garage sale"
Thanks for sharing your passion! Everybody wins on a bike that they enjoy!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #195
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I must say, I don't really understand the hostility in this thread. The OP posted a legitimate question. A question most of us have measured to different conclusions. I responded a few times, addressing issues I have experienced. The OP seems to be dragging the discussion out, but he should!

When we ride these places solo, it is very personal and dangerous even. We buy special satellite rescue services to help the unknown. Skill levels are very wide among us posters.

I'd like to see the continuation of this thread and have the know-it-alls fuck off.

You know who you are, but if you want, I am I am happy to re-post your shit.
I have enjoyed looking at your motorcycles and like your contributions. Thanks!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote