Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #1441
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah, same thoughts, but thanks for saying it. I was going to comment on the generally dour attitude. Like, why?

It didn't appear that anyone was bashing the beamer anyway. Really, like who cares? Right?
Not sure if this troll comment was directed at me. Haven't been around long enough to know all the history. I wasn't bashing anyone or anything. If pointing out my observations and first impressions of a bike I am seriously considering owning is considered bashing then so be it. I have great respect for Triumph as a company, as they have taken care of me so far. I like how Triumph deals with their customers and I think they make sexy bikes.

Anyway - my point was that I really did like the Tiger but I was surprised the 93 hp felt like it did when compared to my KLR which has fewer than half that many ponies. One responder pointed out this perceived power issue is due partly to the number of cylinders. I didn't know that - so I keep coming back here because I always learn something.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #1442
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
One responder pointed out this perceived power issue is due partly to the number of cylinders. I didn't know that - so I keep coming back here because I always learn something.
Yeah, typically the more cylinders, the higher the HP, the higher the powerband (more RPM), and the less low-end torque. An easy comparison is the Suzuki SV650 (V-Twin grunt at ~60HP) versus the Suzuki GSXR600 (Inline-4 wail at ~105HP).

It's just a forum. Don't let it bother ya'.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #1443
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,447
Gregdee, that guy nuked his post. Nobody was referring to you as a troll. The guy we were talking about post up everytime somebody mentions F800GS. It's actually pretty funny. I never got offended by anything he says its just annoying.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #1444
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Anyway - my point was that I really did like the Tiger but I was surprised the 93 hp felt like it did when compared to my KLR which has fewer than half that many ponies. One responder pointed out this perceived power issue is due partly to the number of cylinders. I didn't know that - so I keep coming back here because I always learn something.
Funny, that is exactly the move I made, from a '09 KLR to a '12 Tiger 800XC, and maybe I had a dude of a KLR, but for me the difference was quite inspiring. On the KLR, I have Givi side luggage, double bubble screen, and well, it had to deal with a 270-280 lbs, 54" chest fat bastard on top of it. IOW, I don't exactly has a stealthy wind profile

The Tiger, stock, except for factory panniers, but the same fat bastard on top.

For me, the KLR would only do about 80-85 mph, as long as there is not a head wind. And anything beyond 75-78 mph the engine would start to consume oil. Riding on an interstate or faster back road where somewhat stressful. Basically passing on a back road would often take an act of congress to accomplish on the KLR.

Where the Tiger, eck, just throttle up. Significantly less stressful, and significantly more confidence inspiring. Heck, for that matter, I will also add, when riding on the interstate, beyond just being able to keep up with 80-85 mph traffic, the Tiger is also a lot more stable in the wind blast of transport trucks.

As far as the riding engine, suspension, instrumentation, and so on, hands down, you can immediately know where the extra $6,000 went!

Taking the KLR up to AK was decent, and the KLR was proved to be a good mount, well other than having to feed it a bit of oil with the extended durations above 75mph. But there compromises, and there where a few times where 75-80 mph was not safe. Up on the Alcan, there where a few transport trucks doing 75-90. Being passed by transport truck doing 85 is not the most fun thing in the world I'll tell ya!

When I go back on the Tiger, I doubt I will have those issues
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #1445
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Funny, that is exactly the move I made, from a '09 KLR to a '12 Tiger 800XC,
Great move
Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #1446
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,923
Quote:
Not sure if this troll comment was directed at me. Haven't been around long enough to know all the history.

No, it was the other guy. BEEMER DEFENDER.

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, he just gets hung up on the details and the internet banter.

Carry on...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #1447
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
klr 685 to Tiger 800

This would be a ditto, but I put the 685 kit in my KLR to fix the oil burning issues in the 08 model before selling it for an 800XC. I can see where he's coming from in some regards. In first and second gear, there's not a huge difference in power between the two considering the Tiger has considerably more CCs and horsepower.

But in the upper end of the powerband, there's really no comparison. I don't think I've ever redlined the Tiger above third gear because there was always a corner coming up and I didn't have the balls to stay on the throttle. I realize this is not a debate between the two bikes, but there are lots of us that made the KLR to Tiger switch, and I think it's a safe bet that few, if any, are switching back.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #1448
GARider
Wandering Thru Life

Oddometer: 239
I Want One

I have been reading the threads on the 800XC, just read all the way through this one, dang it it long. I have decided to get down to just one bike, for now anyway. I had four, sold the RoadKing and the GS1200 Adventure sold last month. So two to go and I think as of now its going to be new Triumph for me. I stopped at the dealer today and sat on one to make sure it was what I thought it would be. At 6'4" there is not alot of bikes that just feel right. But the XC I think is going to be just fine with a few mods. Can't wait to join the ranks. My first bike in the 60's was a Triumph Tiger but it had Cub after Tiger and only one cylinder. Ha Ha

GARider screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 05:36 PM
GARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #1449
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,048
Me too, LOL (want one). I am pretty spoiled by great bikes, started slow in the 60s but going out with a bang it seems, LOL. Had the Tiger 1050, Multi 1200, now Super Tenere. I have ridden the 800xc, and really like it.

Went to Alaska this June on the ST, passed a lot of KLRs stuck behind RVs pulling campers, pretty nice to have the power to pass the whole string.

High school friend (60s) down the road had a 200cc Tiger cub, I had a cushman hilander.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #1450
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
This would be a ditto, but I put the 685 kit in my KLR to fix the oil burning issues in the 08 model before selling it for an 800XC. I can see where he's coming from in some regards. In first and second gear, there's not a huge difference in power between the two considering the Tiger has considerably more CCs and horsepower.
Sadly, first gear appears to come from the 675cc version of the engine. And is great for the Super Sport style bike, but on the Tiger doing a 0-60 in first gear is not a priority. A much lower first, and slightly lower second gear a bit lower. I would have to guess, doing such may have required more space in the crank case for the gears ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
but there are lots of us that made the KLR to Tiger switch, and I think it's a safe bet that few, if any, are switching back.
Yeah, I think that would be safe to say for me at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Went to Alaska this June on the ST, passed a lot of KLRs stuck behind RVs pulling campers, pretty nice to have the power to pass the whole string.
Luckily when I did Alaska in '10, I did not get stuck too much behind slower traffic. Only once or twice.

But, went through the Eisenhower Tunnel, and at 12,000', on a stock KLR 650, well, the best she would do was about 45 on the way up.

TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #1451
Haggs
Tigre Verde

Oddometer: 106
Here is my new Tiger. I posted this pic in the Aussie xc forum but I thought I'd put here as well to show the new color available here in Oz.

Haggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #1452
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren hoëk View Post
Here is my new Tiger. I posted this pic in the Aussie xc forum but I thought I'd put here as well to show the new color available here in Oz.
Cool! I wondered if it'd be the "Steve McQueen" shade of khaki green. Also, it looks like it's already attracting the pussy.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #1453
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Cool! I wondered if it'd be the "Steve McQueen" shade of khaki green. Also, it looks like it's already attracting the pussy.
They do that.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #1454
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Sadly, first gear appears to come from the 675cc version of the engine. And is great for the Super Sport style bike, but on the Tiger doing a 0-60 in first gear is not a priority. A much lower first, and slightly lower second gear a bit lower. I would have to guess, doing such may have required more space in the crank case for the gears ????

I was curious and checked the gear ratios between the 675 and the Tiger 800. All of the gearbox ratios are the same except for 1st gear. The 675 has a lower first gear by a large margin! It seems that Triumph went through a lot of redesign and expense to give the 800 a tall first gear - I don't get it!!
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #1455
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
I was curious and checked the gear ratios between the 675 and the Tiger 800. All of the gearbox ratios are the same except for 1st gear. The 675 has a lower first gear by a large margin! It seems that Triumph went through a lot of redesign and expense to give the 800 a tall first gear - I don't get it!!
Maybe they did that to temper the 800's torque.