Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #1156
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Not knowing much about KTMs, but really have this 1190 on my short list of bikes to ride then buy, would you guys buy a first year model from them, especially with a new powerplant and electronics package?

I guess I'm wondering about build quality and would KTM make adjustments after the first year.

I'm hoping one will be at the motorcycle show in Atlanta on November 3rd, to drool over.
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #1157
MDMcDuff
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm a current XT1200 Super Ten owner (just over two years and climbing) and a previous KTM950/BMW1150 Adv refugee. I've also had couple other KTMs being 450exc, 640Duke . I would 1st say to the Q on is it good to buy a 1st gen KTM ans :possibly no but! :-
This engine isnt strickly that new ie its been developed from a long line of KTM VTwins from the original 950 (that was a 1st gen bike :/ ) through the 990 and also in the 1190 RC8 road bike range so its more a of a update engine put into a new chassis etc IMO.
Note KTM didnt always get thier year updates right and there are lots of history in the LC4 history of later bikes adding new "bugs" that the older ones didnt have but they also fixed bugs too. So overall I see this as a relative low risk bike in terms of new tech. My XT1200 was a perhaps a "1st gen" model and it has had mostly few bugs to iron out in my experience, all in the usually affects nearly all bikes/manufacturers category of rusty spokes/engine paint and its fared a lot better than my old 1150GSA did in that respect.
Will I buy a new 1190? hmmm price wise it seems a little steep but probably in the same price bracket as the main competition (the new w/c GS12??) . I'll probably stick with the yam for another year to see how the market pricing adjusts (avoid the 1st round of no discount full RRP scramble?) plues they may start adding bits/deals later in the year too :).
PS i think I've been subconsiously waiting for this bike since I sold my KTM950Adv .
MDMcDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #1158
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Gotcha, I understand about the first round of pricing...and I agree about being patient in this market segment. I rode a Super Tenere and it's on my list as well for a possible spot in the garage. I'm also liking the new white color offered, like the worldcrosser scheme.
So, you would say that KTM build quality is not a worry for me? Okay, time to follow this bike and see where it goes!
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #1159
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 250
I have a ST and a KTM990smt. ST has 8500 miles on it and the smt has 9800 miles on it. I just got back from a 7 day 2700 mile road trip on the KTM. In a word the bike is brilliant. It is a very comfortable, fun, very engaging bike to ride with absolutely no negatives. I enjoy riding the ST but I literally love riding this KTM. Chain vs shaft I could be satisfied with either one. Weight there is a big difference between the two. Comfort is a coin flip. The ST feels more polished, is much better low down the rpm range - the smt absolutely loves the 5-6-7-8 rpm range. I could live with either one long term. I have been much harder on the KTM and it continues to run brilliantly. The ST you can beat the crap out of and it just does not miss a beat. The ktm is presently getting it's 9400 mile service done (but it does have 9800 miles on it) and valves were all in spec no adjustments needed. The ST get's dropped off for it's 8000 mile service when the KTM is ready. This new 1190 looks very impressive and could really be the best of both worlds type of bike.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #1160
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Price?

What will prices be on the 1190?
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #1161
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
I have a ST and a KTM990smt. ST has 8500 miles on it and the smt has 9800 miles on it. I just got back from a 7 day 2700 mile road trip on the KTM. In a word the bike is brilliant. It is a very comfortable, fun, very engaging bike to ride with absolutely no negatives. I enjoy riding the ST but I literally love riding this KTM. Chain vs shaft I could be satisfied with either one. Weight there is a big difference between the two. Comfort is a coin flip. The ST feels more polished, is much better low down the rpm range - the smt absolutely loves the 5-6-7-8 rpm range. I could live with either one long term. I have been much harder on the KTM and it continues to run brilliantly. The ST you can beat the crap out of and it just does not miss a beat. The ktm is presently getting it's 9400 mile service done (but it does have 9800 miles on it) and valves were all in spec no adjustments needed. The ST get's dropped off for it's 8000 mile service when the KTM is ready. This new 1190 looks very impressive and could really be the best of both worlds type of bike.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you, this 1190 could be the ticket for me. The Super Tenere is a great bike from an "all-arounder" perspective and would be a no brainer for what my usage would be, but this 1190 might just add the grin factor that would be the deal maker. I like to canyon carve with some light off road exploration (right now), but I'm willing to try more off-roading. I'm here north of Atlanta, and typically ride up north to the Dragon, Cherohala, and other delightful roads, well, the Dragon is not delightful in all honesty. There is also some exploration potential near me too, which is what I seek.
I have a friend who owns a couple KTMs and I trust his opinion on the quality of the bikes, of course his are dirt bikes so I don't know too much about their "street" bikes.
I've been to many threads and seen some incredible pictures of the guys who own the 990s and 950s, this bike seems ideal for out west or southwestern US, even around the mid-west.
I look forward to following this 1190 and learning about it.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #1162
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMcDuff View Post
I'm a current XT1200 Super Ten owner (just over two years and climbing) and a previous KTM950/BMW1150 Adv refugee. I've also had couple other KTMs being 450exc, 640Duke . I would 1st say to the Q on is it good to buy a 1st gen KTM ans :possibly no but! :-
This engine isnt strickly that new ie its been developed from a long line of KTM VTwins from the original 950 (that was a 1st gen bike :/ ) through the 990 and also in the 1190 RC8 road bike range so its more a of a update engine put into a new chassis etc IMO.
Note KTM didnt always get thier year updates right and there are lots of history in the LC4 history of later bikes adding new "bugs" that the older ones didnt have but they also fixed bugs too. So overall I see this as a relative low risk bike in terms of new tech. My XT1200 was a perhaps a "1st gen" model and it has had mostly few bugs to iron out in my experience, all in the usually affects nearly all bikes/manufacturers category of rusty spokes/engine paint and its fared a lot better than my old 1150GSA did in that respect.
Will I buy a new 1190? hmmm price wise it seems a little steep but probably in the same price bracket as the main competition (the new w/c GS12??) . I'll probably stick with the yam for another year to see how the market pricing adjusts (avoid the 1st round of no discount full RRP scramble?) plues they may start adding bits/deals later in the year too :).
PS i think I've been subconsiously waiting for this bike since I sold my KTM950Adv .
100 % Agree. Great post (from a noob ).

If you know what you want, and the bike has it, dont hesitate.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #1163
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
What is it about this bike?

I have never had too much interest with KTM and when, out of curiosity, I had a look at the spy pics of the bike instantly dismissed it from my list of wannabe's.

And yet I'm strangely drawn back to this thread and I have now COMPLETELY changed my opinion. It is now really growing on me.

Given that new bikes usually look far better in full on eye contact rather than photographs, I think this is going to be a beaut.

I can see me falling out with my MTS for this.

Signed

"Confused" of UK?

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #1164
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
If i had the means, i'd buy one in a flash. I've had the 06 990 since new, i ride less dirt now, the 1190 has an option on 19/17 wheels, which bank will i rob?
Who cares about how it looks, i mean the 990 adv is no beauty either!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #1165
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
What will prices be on the 1190?
The "list price" on KTM homepage /Germany is 14,895 EUR including 19 % VAT. With the $/EUR exchange rate of today this means 1.30*14,895/1,19=16,272 $ excl. VAT.

The real sales price with some bargain is less (also in Europe), say cut 10 %? => 0,9*16,272 => about 14,600$

Then less the "always better" market situation in the US, say another 5 %? => 0,85*16,272 => 13,800 $

Somebody with better "data base" of such percentages above?
Why not compare with the 990? The percentages should not be far off.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #1166
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

175 hp version motor?

Back in 1978 when undersigned turned 15, he got a 50 cc Zündapp German moped from his father. The intake was choked to assure max. 1 hp due to Swedish regulations for youngsters riding without need of a driving licence. It was really popular to drill the intake from the awfully small couples of millimeters to some real centimeters, replace the carb and get 5 hp instead of only one. Imagine the smile on our faces and the thrilling risk of getting caught by the unforgiving BMW R100 riding highway police officers equipped with the small tool consisting of an about 6 mm steel ball and a thin steel wire. They passed it through the carb into the cylinder to get you busted. (No, it's not a joke, it's true. If you got busted more than once => one year delay in permission to get the latter automobile driving licence))

And now it appears this issue repeats itself and we get a decompressed 1200 cc. What a disappointment! There is simply no such thing as enough power!!

I guess it may be impossible to order the new adventurer with the "real and unchoked" motor with 175 hp due to KTM's and seller's legal responsibilities...and so forth.

Anyway, do you think it would be technically easy? Simply bring over the motor and the control module? Or is the other electronics perhaps incompatible with the race bike's ECU?

Balsta screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 01:49 PM
Balsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #1167
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsta View Post
And now it appears this issue repeats itself and we get a decompressed 1200 cc. What a disappointment! There is simply no such thing as enough power!!

I guess it may be impossible to order the new adventurer with the "real and unchoked" motor with 175 hp due to KTM's legal responsibilities...and so forth.

Anyway, do you think it would be technically easy? Simply bring over the motor and the control module? Or is the other electronics perhaps incompatible with the race bike's ECU?
I would imagine it is so you can run crappy fuel... The RC8R has two modes:95Ron for 170 hp and 98 Ron for 175 hp... That is 91 and 93 for North Americans. Basically this is low premium or high premium... But no matter how far you retard timing of ignition and fuel, it would be tough to run regular gas at 13.5:1 comp ratio... Thus the reduction for the 1190 Adv I would guess. The rest of the missing power is probably valve lift and overlap reductions.., none of this can be easily remedied unfortunately, at least with a drill bit or a tune.

Trust me, you couldn't use the missing power in this bike anyway... It is too tall without sufficient front weight bias.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #1168
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Trust me, you couldn't use the missing power in this bike anyway... It is too tall without sufficient front weight bias.
I was thinking about lovely power wheelies in 100 mph on 4th...and maybe 5th too....
Old 10-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #1169
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsta View Post
I was thinking about lovely power wheelies in 100 mph on 4th...and maybe 5th too....

Well you will need to gear it down and you will have no worries I bet. 100mph power wheelies happen in 3rd with the full power engine despite tank humping ergos and being tucked over front wheel..
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #1170
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=wilmar13;19762223]I would imagine it is so you can run crappy fuel... The RC8R has two modes:95Ron for 170 hp and 98 Ron for 175 hp... That is 91 and 93 for North Americans.QUOTE]

FYI on the gas octane issue, I used to live in the US (Atlanta, GA) on a work assignment in the late 90's. I had a white and ugly but wonderful (height extended) 4WD V6 Ranger 1990 and it was really octane sensitive with bad knocking with 91 and just ok with 93 (Don't know why). In 2000, I returned back home permanently (incl the Ranger pickup) and found that European gas (also the low octane RON 95) never caused any knocking whatsoever.

Balsta screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 02:24 PM
Balsta is offline   Reply With Quote