Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #6106
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,050
I'm on at least my fourth set of front brake pads at 14,665 miles. But it's been eleven years and an enormous number of duty cycles...a lot of stop-and-go and short trips. Plus some off-road and some touring.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #6107
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
If someone wants to try that cam, I have an unused one sitting on the shelf.
Can send pictures if you want. Lets say $50 shipped con US.
Send me a PM if interested.

Mikko
Damn, I'd buy another DR, just to get that deal...
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #6108
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wow Klay, you're hard on pads. At 9k I just replaced mine.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #6109
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,385
Brake pads haven't needed to be change yet on my bike so I must not be doing much stopping.

It looks like normal wear and tear is all the rest of you are experiencing. I guess I just got "lucky" with my DR200. All my other bikes it's just been normal wear and tear stuff so havning things beyond that needing repaired with this bike has thrown me off a bit.

If I didn't like this bike so much I would just sell it and call it a day but instead I'm going to get the starter clutch replaced and hope that's the last of issues with it. When I think about the money I have put into it with farkles, upgraded stator, tuned suspension, a new clutch and soon a new starter clutch I have about as much into it as I have into my BMW What's with that?

I prefer riding my DR200 over my F650 because it's just more fun so for me the money is worth it. Of course if I want to get somewhere I little faster the 650 is needed and when the weather get cold the 650 is better at running the electric. The 650 is a better street bike and it does fine on forest service road but the 200 is one heck of a lot more fun on forest service roads and a lot easier to go exploring with.

Any one else want to tell us about their favorite DR200?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #6110
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Any one else want to tell us about their favorite DR200?

Jodie has more fun on her DR200 than she does on her Street Triple R, especially on these roads...

9,000kms with just regular maintenance, original brake pads, 3rd battery though. OEM battery lasted 4 years then Jodie killed it on a 4 day ride running her heated vest all day every day for the 4 days and it was slow riding on trails. Killed the battery on the last day. Replaced with a new Shorai but it started to act up so just installed a new regular battery. The bike has been super easy to bump start any time she killed the battery, even when cold.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #6111
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
9,000kms with just regular maintenance, original brake pads, 3rd battery though. OEM battery lasted 4 years then Jodie killed it on a 4 day ride running her heated vest all day every day for the 4 days and it was slow riding on trails. Killed the battery on the last day. Replaced with a new Shorai but it started to act up so just installed a new regular battery. The bike has been super easy to bump start any time she killed the battery, even when cold.
When you say the Shorai acted up, can you elaborate?

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #6112
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I keep saying this but it keeps coming up in this thread. If you're ever riding the little DR and think "I just wish this had more oomph for offroad", the DR650 is the last bike you should be looking at. Its underpowered and overweight - a tragically bad combo when offroad. I'd put it in the same class as the KLR650 - fine for cross country highway riding with some fire roads mixed in, but an absolute bear if you hit even mildly technical terrain.
4678 pages of DR650 thread would disagree with this. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5295&page=4678 Minimal modifications provide more than enough power to a DR650. There is a HUGE difference from a KLR650. Just got back from riding Alaska on one and I have ridden South America on one. The difference is, personally, I cannot pick up the KLR650. I can pick up my DR650. After years of riding each - DR200, DR650, KLR650 - each has it's own advantages. The KLR is most comfortable on the highway and good on dirt roads. The DR650 is powerful enough to carry a load down the Interstate and do very well off road, light enough to pick up or drag out when in a tight single track situation. The DR200 is just plain fun, very light to pick up in the rough. Just enough power to climb anything.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #6113
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I hoped on a mostly stock DR650 offroad and it felt like a sluggish pig. I've ridden an XRL650 and it was fairly modded, but still felt really heavy. Unlike the DR however, there's a ton of R parts that you can easily swap out to really shed the weight. Either would be fine in stock form for easy offroad terrain, but anything challenging would be a lot more fun on a bike that wasn't so heavy. For comparison I've also ridden a plate-able XR650R, which was really nice for pretty much any terrain, but definately excelled when you could open it up. Here's the specs I pulled online:

KLR650 - 42.15HP // 432 lbs // 10.25 lbs per HP
DR650 - 43HP // 357 lbs // 8.30 lbs per HP
XR650L - 41.5HP // 348 lbs // 8.39 lbs per HP
XR650R - 61.2HP // 304 lbs // 4.97 lbs per HP

and just for grins

DR200SE - 15HP // 249lbs // 16.6 lbs per HP

I think the issue is what you and I qualify as off road. On climbs, I run out of skill long before my XR400 runs out of power, and it has 10hp less than the DR650. You could ride a Goldwing on most normal trails, its when those trails turn into nothing but ruts and boulders that's when the extra weight really kills.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #6114
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
. You could ride a Goldwing on most normal trails, its when those trails turn into nothing but ruts and boulders that's when the extra weight really kills.
If you're regularly running into ruts and boulders you should be on a real dirt bike anyway, none of these bikes are going to be much good in truly knarly terrain. Maybe a WR250?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #6115
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm on an XR400 so it handles anything I'm brave/stupid enough to attempt. Not the most comfortable ride on freeways and such but I didn't get a dual sport so that I could ride roads all day. Just put some Rigid LED's on it tonight for some better off-hwy lighting. Wiring and blinker position is still temporary. Need a few small parts to finalize everything. Couldn't get a shot of the lighting on the road since I've got some workers using my very bright garage lights to see their truck. Would estimate I've got at least 4x the coverage I had with just the DOT lights.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #6116
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Tires for DR 200

I forgot about this thread until just now, I ordered new tires for my DR 200 last night, I think it still has the original tires, (Trail Wing F 70/100 21 44 p/R 100/90 18 56 P,) on and they are about shot.

I ordered Shinko 520's, but couldn't get the exact size, the Shinko's are F 80/100 21 and R 110/100 18 so they are a little bigger. Got them from Bike Bandit so I can send them back, are they going to fit?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #6117
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I have bigger than that Kendas on mine right now so they should. I've had up to a 120 on the rear without any trouble. I would say that any bigger would be cutting it a little close though.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #6118
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
Tires for DR 200

I forgot about this thread until just now, I ordered new tires for my DR 200 last night, I think it still has the original tires, (Trail Wing F 70/100 21 44 p/R 100/90 18 56 P,) on and they are about shot.

I ordered Shinko 520's, but couldn't get the exact size, the Shinko's are F 80/100 21 and R 110/100 18 so they are a little bigger. Got them from Bike Bandit so I can send them back, are they going to fit?

They'll fit no problem.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #6119
Motardo
Commuter

Oddometer: 5
tire size

I have Kenda challengers, 130/90-18 on mine. I had to move the wheel back to the #2 mark on the chain adjusters to keep it from rubbing the swingarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelness View Post
I have bigger than that Kendas on mine right now so they should. I've had up to a 120 on the rear without any trouble. I would say that any bigger would be cutting it a little close though.
Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #6120
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
I have Kenda challengers, 130/90-18 on mine. I had to move the wheel back to the #2 mark on the chain adjusters to keep it from rubbing the swingarm.
It looks badass.