Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #3076
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
It's on a sticker on the neck. Right side I believe. Mine is gone due to an unfortunate wire wheel accident when I was stripping the frame. If it's gone and that's their story, it's a plausible excuse.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #3077
EATPharmD
Hiding out

Oddometer: 134
Shameless plug

My XT is long gone but still have this tank to sell off
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830019

I have some beat-up XT250 sidecovers which I'm almost 100% certain fit the XT350 if anyone is interested also

I liked that bike but always found it leaking oil from a new spot and occasionally a beast to start.
EATPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #3078
Grant Knight
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hid Headlight conversion

Hi All, new here, in the process of redoing my 98 xt350 and bought a headlight hid conversion kit as the stock light was inefficient for night riding in the bush. Once installed I could only get it to show one beam on either high or low, connected directly to the battery, so my question is has anyone done this to their bike and does it work correctly.

Also I am wanting to replace most of all the bolts and screws etc on the bike, I have the clymers manual and illustrated parts catalogue but it would be a bunch easier if anyone has a complete list as I can then send this off to the company that will provide all of this?

Look forward to hearing from you!
Grant Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #3079
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Knight View Post
Hi All, new here, in the process of redoing my 98 xt350 and bought a headlight hid conversion kit as the stock light was inefficient for night riding in the bush. Once installed I could only get it to show one beam on either high or low, connected directly to the battery, so my question is has anyone done this to their bike and does it work correctly.

Also I am wanting to replace most of all the bolts and screws etc on the bike, I have the clymers manual and illustrated parts catalogue but it would be a bunch easier if anyone has a complete list as I can then send this off to the company that will provide all of this?

Look forward to hearing from you!
Maybe check power is running through and switching correctly at the dipper switch ?
Lenz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #3080
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

TT 350 rebuild

The process continues as time permits.

The engine is re-assembled with new std rings, light bore hone, valves and seats lightly refaced, cylinder head ports massaged for improved flow (predominantly inlet ports), 20thou (0.5mm) off the head for ~ 9.8:1 compression, cams advanced a touch from slightly retarded original setting, cam chain tensioner changed to a manual adjustment setup - finger tight adjustment with locknuts - very easy upgrade. New steel stub manifolds (28mmID) angled at 13degrees have been fabricated to maintain a straight induction line through the inlet ports and carbies. Should be useful power gains with straighter induction tract. Re-aligned carbies have working clearances from frame and rear shock.

Work remaining on the engine is the fitting of 38ID / 48OD fuel pipe for the air filter to carbie tract. Filters will be oiled foam Unifilter (Australia) pods. Valve shims also need checking. Oil coolers x 2 also on the sheet. Mechanical throttle linkages and float levels between carbies need to be massaged due to the straightening of the induction tracts and increased separation distance between the carbies

Reason for doing this .... because at the end of the process the engine will work to potential for a very long time, the suspension is adequate, it's a useful 6 speed transmission and the overall weight of the bike is low.

I'll post some pics hopefully through photobucket when the fitup is finalised.

Lenz1 screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 02:46 AM Reason: edit
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #3081
Skinsfan6
n00b

Unfortunately I think I am about to leave this club. The last two years with my XT have been wonderful but I want to do some longer slab trips, the missus wants to come along, and the XT is not ideal. She's not the ruffian I can be when I travel and camp. I bought a Concours. My XT is in the flea market. Please one of you enthusiasts buy it so I know it's in good hands.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831180
Skinsfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #3082
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

TT 350 rebuild

Well after finding a crack in the front rim that ran the best part of 75% - 80% across the rim at the weld join all I can say is my nephew (previous owner) is lucky to have avoided a major dismount on his later jumps. So the nearby dings in the rim have been heated and beated with a rubber mallet - now straight - and an experienced TIG guy is confident on a full recovery.

Small stainless steel heat shield under construction for the section of exhaust adjacent to the rear shock and right carbie. Just push a length of cardboard behind the exhaust and mark it @ ~ 12mm wider than the pipe. This is the basic template that then is transfered to the heat shield material. Cut some horizontal slits in the shield at the attachment points, cut ~ 6mm thick spacer material and use a stainless hose clamp to secure each point.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #3083
Indiesol
Putz

Oddometer: 46
I'd love to see some pics of this...

Hunter S. Thompson
Indiesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #3084
Indiesol
Putz

All the '90s era teal and pink are gone......

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #3085
Grant Knight
n00b

Bike finally finished

Hey all

I have finally finished basically my rebuild of my 98 xt350 and would like to get some comments etc but I have no idea how to get the photos on my iPad into this forum, sorry but tried to get info about this and had no luck, is there anyone willing to help with this, or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #3086
Indiesol
Putz

Get an imageshack or photobucket account? Once you upload the pictures to one of those you can then put the address of each picture in here by clicking the picture icon above your advrider text window. Looking forward to the pics....

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #3087
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Knight View Post
Hey all

I have finally finished basically my rebuild of my 98 xt350 and would like to get some comments etc but I have no idea how to get the photos on my iPad into this forum, sorry but tried to get info about this and had no luck, is there anyone willing to help with this, or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated?
This thread will tell you everything you need to know about posting pix
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Please note, SmugMug is owned by the owner of this site. Although the idea for SmugMug came from ADV Rider, I suspect that site is the reason we have this site is still commercial free. Throwing a few bucks Baldy's way is a nice way to say thanks.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #3088
Indiesol
Putz

Thought I'd post a pic of my '92 after getting rid of all the pink and teal. Buttoning up from converting the chain to a 520. Also, I'm looking for a stock rear shock that'll fit a '92. If anyone has one in decent shape, please let me know.

Hunter S. Thompson

Indiesol screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 04:32 PM
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #3089
Grant Knight
n00b

Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #3090
Grant Knight
n00b

Ok finally got the pics sorted, so what do you think of the bike, finally finished well almost?