Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
Overnighter...
Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #3332
DreamRiderRG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Sept 2012 - Montreal to Vancouver and back

Just got back from a solo 25 day ride out West and back. 1st time motorcycle camping: Gotta say I LOVED it!

25 days - 11279 KM (7008 Miles). Travelled across 8 States and 4 provinces - 3 oil changes. No mechanical problems (just a tad of glitches with Cruise Control for most of a bumpy North Dakota highway). Little Traffic (again only in ND both ways ).
20 days of sun 5 days of rain. 1 hail storm. 2 days of high winds mixed with rain. 3 nights of low 35-40 Fahrenheit camping. Only one night of rain while camping. 1 extremely gusty day of 50 MPH winds(off Lake Michigan). 4 great families who hosted me and 1 warm reunion with my GF in a B&B for 2 nights on day 23 in Sackets Harbour NY to finally arrive home on the 25th of September = Great memories!

In the yellow 65 Liters Sea to Summit dry bag I've got my new Exped Venus III DLX Plus 3 Person, 3 Season tent, my Kermit Chair(great buy), tent polls and spikes, Exped footprint, plastic peg hammer and mini tent broom/dust pan.
Although I was solo riding/camping I did find it a nice size tent just for all the Vestibule space to store all the gear from the bike.

HippoHands on - Rain Gear and FF on. Was cold and rainy day. Somewhere in the State of Montana:

Warmer weather somewhere in Washington State coming out of the continental divide 2 hours out of Helena National Forest MT.

The night before leaving:
DreamRiderRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #3333
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Awesome thread!!!

ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #3334
Strog
Geek on two wheels

Oddometer: 384
Some pictures from Wednesday on my trip back home.

Here's camp.

The side bags are Seahorse SE720 cases (Pelican 1520 sized) bolted right to my SW Motech quick release racks.

Hat with clip on light, snacks &coffee behind (was eating out on the road this trip), french press for my stove, clothes, pack towel (large cut down to 2 smaller towels) and my Eureka Apex 2XT tent

Big Agnes insulated air core mummy sleeping pad, Primus Eta Express stove/pot, Cocoon travel pillow and Eureka Casper sleeping bag

A Case Logic SLR Zoom Holster bag fits snuggly in a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag.

Loaded back up and ready to head down the road.

I didn't take a picture inside the top case but it had rain gear, layers for cooler weather, camp shoes, clear visor and seemed to pick up other miscellaneous things as the trip moved along.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #3335
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,426
Here was my set up when I went from NH -> TX -> CO -> NH ~6,500 mi.

I did have some extras with me. I brought the bike cover, which was bulky, and not truly necessary. It was nice to have one particular night to keep the bike covered and less conspicuous. For true camping, not necessary.

I brought two jackets. First Gear TPG Ranier, and Joe Rocket mesh. I saw conditions ranging from 38 F. on morning in PA. to> 120 F going across TX.

I used an L.L. Bean back pack as a sort of back rest, and to have a way to grab the essential camping gear for a hike.

I used a top box to carry my Canon DSLR camera, case, and lenses. It also worked well for lashing the back pack to.

I have Jesse Boxes which contain my cooking tool, and mechanical tools, as well as some other odds and ends. For example, I bought a battery powered fan. (a life saver when camping in TX), and my sleeping bag(s)

On top of the left Jesse I strapped my tent, and on top of the right I strapped my sleeping roll.

What I could have done better:
- No need for the bike cover, too bulky.
- The locking top box was nice, but I now prefer to use a Sealine waterproof bag, and strap that across the back.
- A sleeping pad is nice, but the one I brought was far bulkier than some more compact models available.
- Tools. I would find a better way to pack them, and keep them accessible if needed. I brought way more tools that I would have realistically needed, but it was good to have them. In the end, I only needed to change my oil once, and change the rear tire once.
- I always pack two camp stove, but they are small, and both run off canned gas.
- Water. The L.L. Bean back pack has pouches on the side to carry Nalgene bottles. So I carried two 32 oz. Nalgene bottles, 1 on each side.
- Sleeping bag(s). I put bags because I carry a very small, light summer bag, and a heavier 3 season bag. If it gets extremely cold, I put the summer bag in the 3 season, and I am good to go.
- One more thing I would add, is a blue 10' x 12' tarp. It folds up easy enough, and can go under the gear on the back. Tarps can be used for many things including as a rain fly over a site in case of extended rain storms.

AndyCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #3336
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
This was only a weekend trip... but the bike is packed for a week long (warm weather) trip. New luggage so I wanted to pack everything to see how it all fit.

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #3337
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
This was only a weekend trip... but the bike is packed for a week long (warm weather) trip. New luggage so I wanted to pack everything to see how it all fit.

High speed...low drag.
Nice.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #3338
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strog View Post
Some pictures from Wednesday on my trip back home.

Here's camp.

The side bags are Seahorse SE720 cases (Pelican 1520 sized) bolted right to my SW Motech quick release racks.

Hat with clip on light, snacks &coffee behind (was eating out on the road this trip), french press for my stove, clothes, pack towel (large cut down to 2 smaller towels) and my Eureka Apex 2XT tent

Big Agnes insulated air core mummy sleeping pad, Primus Eta Express stove/pot, Cocoon travel pillow and Eureka Casper sleeping bag

A Case Logic SLR Zoom Holster bag fits snuggly in a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag.

Loaded back up and ready to head down the road.

I didn't take a picture inside the top case but it had rain gear, layers for cooler weather, camp shoes, clear visor and seemed to pick up other miscellaneous things as the trip moved along.

I like it!!!! That's how mine usually looks, If it won't fit in the bags.. it just doesn't go...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #3339
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
High speed...low drag.
Nice.
Exactly... and the good news is that the new bags work very well! Even with triple digit speed runs!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #3340
hydrashoks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Here's some from the last ZRXOA rally...Kaws on the Farm in upstate NY...there's some OA fellas here...

The 2001 ZRX1200R loaded...hard beetle bags help, more for looks & being unique then anything...3 differnt size Seal Line bags for the tent, luxurylite cot, food, booze, etc...

On RT84 in NY....

Casa de Hydrashoks...kelty 4 person...pleanty of room, hell I could roll the bike in there...

hydrashoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #3341
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Three different approaches to an overnight:

AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #3342
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553

my tent is closest to the creek.

kitesurfer screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 06:33 AM Reason: ...
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #3343
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspentureRider View Post
I think I recognize those guys...

The more I think about it, the more I'm positive that I can pack lighter and easily do away with the duffel.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #3344
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspentureRider View Post

I have a hunch I'd be following the guy on the right ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #3345
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,805
Something is very strange about the windscreen on the bike in the back (closest to the camera) - it is hovering above the bike
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote