Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
cptmoney OP
Two wheels, only one seat

Oddometer: 509
Need mufflers - options for a '74 Honda CB350F

Hey all -

I've got my boys working on an old 1974 Honda CB350F, but we need some muffler options.

The PO hacked off the original mufflers, so now we have none. Header pipes are there, but are cut off right where the mufflers would bolt on (so I THINK).

I'll post some pics tomorrow, but thought I'd get the ball rolling while I was thinking about it.

Any ideas? We can't find anything - nothing, not even used. Can you steer us in the right direction? What can we use? Stock look/sound is not mandatory, just something to knock off the edge off the sound.

cptmoney screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 01:46 PM
cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
You need to give a little more info. What was the exhaust that was on the bike? 4 into 2? 4 into 1? stock? Straight? You can find universal mufflers easy enough but are the pipes really set up so you can just clamp a muffler on the end?

Regardless the easiest way to see some different types is to simply type universal motorcycle muffler into ebay and check out what you see. Know the pipe size before you check but if it's simply something to quit the bike down a bit you can find it there.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
noman
just another bike nut

Oddometer: 745
cb350f

mac has an exhaust system for your bike, not cheap. and check out the classifieds at sohc4.net
noman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
cptmoney OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by noman View Post
mac has an exhaust system for your bike, not cheap. and check out the classifieds at sohc4.net
That's what we need, but can't swing that kinda dough for this old dog.

I'll shoot a few pics to give you an idea of what we have right now. You guys don't have enough info to help me make a good decision. Perhaps tonight. The boys aren't coming over this evening, but I can still snap a few pics to give you an idea...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
hoodellyhoo
Dummy

Oddometer: 212
Mac is the cheapest new option you will find. Otherwise you're either going to have to wait to find something used or build your own. Maybe find a couple 2-1 collectors and throw on some cheap emgo mufflers.
hoodellyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
cptmoney OP

Here's where she stands right now:

The exhaust pipes/headers come back to just behind the engine....then nothing.

Is that far enough back to use a 2-into-1 connector, then a general purpose muffler? That's fine by us; we just need something to tame her down a bit. A universal application muffler or two would be great with us - especially since these projects we work on operate on a near-nil budget.

What do you think? See anything obvious? Where can we find the necessary connectors? Are the existing pipes long enough to make do?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
it is far enough to use a 2 to 1 connector but the cheapest I know of premade steel for motorcycles would be $100 each side and then the mufflers. http://www.burnsstainless.com has some and even does custom orders. since most mufflers will cost you at least $50 your looking at 300 and in the range for new exausts anyway. Looks like it was a 4 into 4 with the slight upsweep of the inner pipe (maybe) so even with just mufflers you would run over 200 with universal megaphones but most likely it would work. http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html makes some that are much cheaper but require much more fab work.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
cptmoney OP

Yikes - that's not good.

The mufflers would be worth more than the bike! No wonder the PO let it go so cheaply....

We're going to have to regroup a bit on this one. Maybe scour about for some used alternatives.

Thing is, they didn't make this bike for many years, and I'm not sure what alternatives we'd have. Does the CB750 utilize the same exhaust? I can't imagine that they do. Anyone know for sure?

Sheesh - this isn't looking good....she's going to have to hit the auction block as-is if that's the case. Poor ol' bike just isn't going to be able to keep her head above water at this rate.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Time to learn how to fabricate 2-1's if you don't want to spend MAC money; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB350-...-/170867939063
ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Here's a few pictures of a 2 into 1 system I built for a CB175 that I owned. It's not quite finished in these photos but you can get the idea. I used mandrel bent sections with matching diameter and wall thickness tubing, all cut and fitted, then TIG welded together. Lots of hours and patience, but I think it turned out well. I built the muffler for it as well, but anything aftermarket that catches your fancy could be used, just a matter of matching ID and OD of tubing so things slip together where needed.

Obviously, you'd have to do everything X 2.

IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
hoodellyhoo
Dummy

Oddometer: 212
Have you checked out forums.sohc4.net? There's this guy selling an exhaust. Don't know how loud it would be.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113452.0
hoodellyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
.... I built the muffler for it as well,..

Nice job on the whole system, what did you use for baffling for the home made muffler?

TIA
cam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
You can buy e-pipe reducers of all sizes at most auto parts stores to fit different dia. pipe together. Tractor Supply has a cheap range of mufflers.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam14 View Post
Nice job on the whole system, what did you use for baffling for the home made muffler?

TIA
Thanks for the compliment. As far a baffling, the best as I can remember the inlet tube extended 1/2 way or more through the body of the muffler and had a lot of holes drilled along it's length and all the way around. It was capped off, so to speak and the cap was about the diameter of the inside of the muffler body, but had a ring of holes to allow the exhaust to flow between the "front and back" part of the muffler. I can't really remember how far the outlet tube went onto the body, but I think it extended in part-way and was also drilled to allow a lot of different passages for exhaust to get to the outlet and eventuall the down turned spigot. The whole idea was to break up the exhaust flow to "homogenize" the exhaust pulses into a more even flow. Compared to the sound straight out of the merge collector, it quieted the exhaust a lot.Performance compared to stock, I doubt there was an increase, but to me it had a "cool factor" racier look, sounded better, and was way lighter than the stock double mufflers.

It was fun to build and I'd like to do similar exhaust for others in my fab shop for a reasonable price, but I don't exactly live in a highly populated area where there's a lot of demand. Too bad I don't have a salvage yard full of bikes to use as "jigs" to do custom exhausts.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
cptmoney OP

Wahoo!

Now we're talking!

At the VERY least, the ebay link saves us a cool hundo, right off the bat.

It would be very cool to manufacture our own; we've never down any of this....but I guess it's never too late to do some additional learnin'!

Awesome. I like where this is headed...We're still a good bit from being able to make our own, but I'll check in at the local auto parts place to see what sort of collectors I can chase down. We'll start there.

And the Tractor Supply source for mufflers? Whoa - great selection at smokin' prices. That will be very useful for our project.

Making progress with it all now....