Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #1456
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Maybe they did that to temper the 800's torque.
That's what I was thinking. After all, on the dirt, it's no good just getting loads of wheel spin as soon as you crack the throttle. Although I admit that can be fun.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #1457
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,524
That brings the interesting question of whether or not you could install the 675's lower first gear for better low speed trail/starting and then could allow you to go with better sprocket choices for highway use.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #1458
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
That brings the interesting question of whether or not you could install the 675's lower first gear for better low speed trail/starting and then could allow you to go with better sprocket choices for highway use.
sprocket makes a big difference!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #1459
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
That is why I checked into the parts between the two transmissions. First gear is integral with the input shaft to the transmission. On the XC it is 16T and on the 675 it is 13T. On the output side first gear is the same number of teeth (34T). The output shaft of the two transmissions is the same part number. This is evidence that the transmissions are very similar (except for first gear).

The parts would cost you $270 for the 675 input shaft and $85 for 675 first gear. You would have to completely disassemble the transmission. I would be willing to do this (I used to work as a motorcycle mechanic), but there is no way of knowing for sure that the parts would fit. I suspect that they would. And of course, it would invalidate your warranty (at least on first gear ).
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #1460
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That's what I was thinking. After all, on the dirt, it's no good just getting loads of wheel spin as soon as you crack the throttle. Although I admit that can be fun.
I'll take a lower first gear over constantly having to fan the clutch in loose rocks and dirt. I thought the bike was gonna stall while riding out of a steep, rocky gully last Sunday. Admittedly, I had only ridden that trail on a 450exc before, so the Tiger made it a little more "interesting".

This experience (and a couple of others)has convinced me of the need to lower the gearing.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #1461
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I'll take a lower first gear over constantly having to fan the clutch in loose rocks and dirt. I thought the bike was gonna stall while riding out of a steep, rocky gully last Sunday. Admittedly, I had only ridden that trail on a 450exc before, so the Tiger made it a little more "interesting".

This experience (and a couple of others)has convinced me of the need to lower the gearing.

I completely agree. I checked and idling in first gear the bike goes 8mph. The bike is geared way too high in first. It would have been nice if 6th gear was higher on the 675 - then the input shaft would not have to be changed and it would save $200 in parts. Unfortunately - all the other ratios are the same.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #1462
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
I completely agree. I checked and idling in first gear the bike goes 8mph. The bike is geared way too high in first. It would have been nice if 6th gear was higher on the 675 - then the input shaft would not have to be changed and it would save $200 in parts. Unfortunately - all the other ratios are the same.
It's been discussed at length. Go down one tooth on the front sprocket. That seems to be the ticket.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #1463
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
It's been discussed at length. Go down one tooth on the front sprocket. That seems to be the ticket.
or go faster
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #1464
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
The ticket is a wide ratio transmission and not trading a lower first gear for more revs at highway speeds, which is the only thing you are going to accomplish with a sprocket or countersprocket change as you suggest.

I can think of a couple of singles that do this very well (KTM EXC, Husaberg FE, Husky 610/630), but none of the twins. F650GS/F800GS has the same problem.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #1465
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
I had the same problem on my baby beemer. Dropped a tooth in front and upped it two in back. Does a lot better in the dirt. Not so good on the highway as I lost at least a 1000 rpm. 70mph seems like a strain now.

However the tiger seems like it could loose 1000rpm and still do fine at 70. Does fine now at 80 anyway.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #1466
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I had the same problem on my baby beemer. Dropped a tooth in front and upped it two in back. Does a lot better in the dirt. Not so good on the highway as I lost at least a 1000 rpm. 70mph seems like a strain now.

However the tiger seems like it could loose 1000rpm and still do fine at 70. Does fine now at 80 anyway.
It's at 6K @ 80mph now. And yes, the engine will be comfortable because it's so smooth. If my T955i is anything to go by, I think it'll start to drink a lot more fuel pulling 1000 higher at 80. And remember, it's not brilliant now.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #1467
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,540
I loved the 15th sprocket everywhere except the interstate. As Blacktiger says, the mpg suffers. I was getting 30mpg loaded down going 80-90mph. I put the 16th back on because I get on the interstate all the time.
IMHO, the best thing to do is use a 17th to travel somewhere (Moab) & install a 15th when you get there.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #1468
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The ticket is a wide ratio transmission and not trading a lower first gear for more revs at highway speeds, which is the only thing you are going to accomplish with a sprocket or countersprocket change as you suggest.

I can think of a couple of singles that do this very well (KTM EXC, Husaberg FE, Husky 610/630), but none of the twins. F650GS/F800GS has the same problem.
Amen.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #1469
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
This did the trick for me. Much better for when a slow balanced crawl is needed!

Cruising at 70-80 I never get less than 40mpg @ 5600-5900 rpm.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #1470
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

I agree completely. A wide ratio tranny is not even needed - the other gears work fine for the dirt as-is, but there is often a need in the gnarlier dirt sections to go slow and the current first gear does not allow you to do this without abusing the clutch.

I have also discovered that the Daytona 675 has a higher first gear than the 675 street triple. All of the other ratios are the same. The Tiger 800 is higher still.

It seems that first gear is the only ratio that Triumph plays with when going from one model to the next. In the case of the Tiger 800, I think that they did a poor choice for first gear.