Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #136
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
Is anybody familiar enough with the USD forks to see if the Compression and Rebound clickers are present on this demo bike? The shock looks pure DL1000 without a remote reservoir.
The front suspension would have to be top of the line forks to get my consideration. Too many bikes now are doing a phony USD fork setup.
There are top photos and the front appears to have the adjusters, hard to be sure, but that was the appearance.

Remember though, that the photo's aren't necessarilly from a production bike.

I'd be more worried that Suzuki sorted out the low rpm behaviour of that engine & clutch - since that's about all the old 1000 needed to be very usuable on dirt roads.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #137
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
I'd be more worried that Suzuki sorted out the low rpm behaviour of that engine & clutch - since that's about all the old 1000 needed to be very usuable on dirt roads.
That will be interesting to see also because the tighter emission norms now make this task even harder to perform. The engine has to run very lean in the lower rev range, where those are measured, and with a large displacement v-twin, it often means problems like running rough, etc. But I´m sure they are aware of this.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #138
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,417
I figured I would chime in as a current Vstrom 1000 owner, I probably have just over 30,000 miles on them not a lot but enough to make a few comments.

I primarily use my V as a 2 up all road tourer, I prefer back roads and a bit of gravel. I personally do not see it as an "off road" bike. Just my opinion. It does a great job of hauling my wife and I and all our gear anywhere we want to go.

Great motor but the clutch chudder and throttle snatchieness does get old..the rest of the bike is definitely good for the price point. Seat is all day comfy for me, wind management isn't as bad as people complain about, suspension is fair for what the bike cost. Styling...well that is not that important to me.

Well it just so happens that my long range goal is to start traveling the country in segments in 2014, Ride store repeat. So I hope to be in the market for a new 2 up adv touring bike for my wife and I.

Personally I kind of like the look of the concept V, sure it follows current styling trends but hay look around everything in our economy does..

I like many others hope they fix the chudder and EFI issues, possibly improve the suspension a bit. Maybe even move a little bit of weight lower some how.

I for one would have liked to see a shaft drive but I am thinking it is a cost thing and possibly Suzuki trying to find something to offer that not as many others do in the big displacement ADV bike market.

It definitely looks like it will widen the field of contenders when I am ready for a new bike.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #139
jdfsau
jdfsau

Oddometer: 3
Improvements that will get me to bike Concept

I never had the fuel injection problems but I did have the clutch problems.

The OEM DL1000 clutch should be called the "poor man's slipper" since Suzuki engineered to to slip by simply using weaker clutch springs to mitigate rear wheel lockup.That's probably the main reason for the dreaded chudder. Suzuki must have been afraid of liability issues to make it decide to use this turd of a part.

I replaced the stock clutch with a slipper clutch one out of the SV1000/Tl1000 (fits right in) . Now I have a real slipper clutch and all the old problems are a distant memory. I still remember that I had to change the original clutch not once but twice in 20K miles. The so called "improved" clutch lasted for an even shorter period of time that the original "unimproved" clutch. The first time Suzuki paid for the parts but not the labor since the bike was out of warranty. The second time I had to pay for all of the clutch replacement myself.That's when I decided to put the slipper in.

If the new Concept comes with another old cheapo non slipper clutch that would be the deal breaker for me. Another deal breaker might be if the the bike comes with a 17 inch front wheel instead of the present 19 incher. I might not take the bike off road very much but I would like to have that option. No one even makes dual/sport or dirt tires for a 17 inch rim (as far as I know)

Even the new Kawasaki Ninja 300 has slipper clutch and this is a basic $5k motorcycle. Wake up Suzuki.
jdfsau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #140
Twilight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Here is the improvement Suzuki needs to do to the concept to make me buy it! (from stromtrooper.com)

Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #141
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

I for one would have liked to see a shaft drive but I am thinking it is a cost thing and possibly Suzuki trying to find something to offer that not as many others do in the big displacement ADV bike market.
It´s also a weight thing.

And I´ll have a chain on an ADV bike, thank you.

An example: my friend just did a 6-month tour from Argentina to the US... and there was one major fault on the bike during the whole trip. You guessed it – the shaft gave up in Colombia. So the bike was transported on a pick-up to Cartagena, and then on a boat to Panama, where they were able to fix it (with parts shipped to them from Europe). Meant about 7-10 days of waiting around, and I have no info on the total costs, but wasn´t cheap.

On a chain-driven bike that just does not happen. So very easy to carry all parts as spares, if you like. And even if you don´t, chains are everywhere. I know it requires more regular maintenance.

But I don´t mean to start a fight, this is nothing more than just my personal opinion.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #142
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
It´s also a weight thing.

And I´ll have a chain on an ADV bike, thank you.

An example: my friend just did a 6-month tour from Argentina to the US... and there was one major fault on the bike during the whole trip. You guessed it – the shaft gave up in Colombia. So the bike was transported on a pick-up to Cartagena, and then on a boat to Panama, where they were able to fix it (with parts shipped to them from Europe). Meant about 7-10 days of waiting around, and I have no info on the total costs, but wasn´t cheap.

On a chain-driven bike that just does not happen. So very easy to carry all parts as spares, if you like. And even if you don´t, chains are everywhere. I know it requires more regular maintenance.

But I don´t mean to start a fight, this is nothing more than just my personal opinion.
For a trip to South America I would take a KLR650 over most any bike...simple, easy, reliable.

I use a big ADV bike strictly as an all road touring bike for my wife and I so a shaft drive would be nice. I really just like the big ADV's for their ergo's. a sport tourer would more suit my end use of that bike.

For now my KLR650 does most of my ADV type riding
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #143
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
/I for one would have liked to see a shaft drive but I am thinking it is a cost thing and possibly Suzuki trying to find something to offer that not as many others do in the big displacement ADV bike market./
Suzuki has made shaft drive bikes in the past and offers some cruisers that are shaft drive.

But I think the sportier bikes shy away from that. The Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Tiger 1050, New KTM Adventure are all heavier on the sport and lighter on the touring, and all have chain drives. I think Suzuki will maintain that focus, especially after Honda's shaft-drive middleweight failed.

A buddy has an interesting approach. He doesn't believe lubricating modern chains does any good so he doesn't do it. And he seems to replace his chains no more frequently than anyone else. So if you follow his approach, you get a lighter, more responsive bike and replace chain and sprockets every 20-30,000 miles. Other than an occasional adjustment, that's it.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #144
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Getting OT, but 20-30 thousand miles on a chain without ANY external lubrication? Can't say I'm buying that, but of course everybody's free to try their luck.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #145
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
external chain lubrication keeps the o-rings from drying out and loosing internal lubrication
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #146
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
external chain lubrication keeps the o-rings from drying out and loosing (sic) internal lubrication
And if he has an X-Ring chain?

Suzuki’s bringing back the V-Strom 1000 - HellforLeather.

Quote:
Know what there’s not enough of these days? Large-capacity adventure tourers that are so heavy and so expensive you can’t take them within sight of dirt. Bikes like the Ducati Multistrada 1200, Kawasaki Versys 1000, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, Honda Crosstourer and the new Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 leave such a gap in the market that the case of this new V-Strom 1000 concept practically makes itself. It’s exactly like all the above, but wears a Suzuki badge.

Interestingly, Suzuki doesn't mention that the DL1000 hit the market before the DL650 in this snippet from their PR.

Quote:
Suzi says: “More than a decade ago, Suzuki developed the V-Strom 650. The motorcycle offered incredible versatility, comfort, and a fun to ride character. The well-balanced package included an incredibly versatile V-twin engine and lightweight aluminum chassis. Sharing the spirit of the globally successful V-Strom 650 ABS, the all-new, V-Strom 1000 “Concept” will deliver fun, excitement and versatility to the open class rider who seeks a new world of motorcycling adventure.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #147
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Actually, didn't think it would be, but that photoshop of the front end is even uglier than the concept bike! I still am waiting to pass judgement on the lights: is it really that inconceivable that the light can have an output on par with the old? It's a decade between them in development after all.

As for chains, I am sooo happy they stuck with it. When I was in the market for a super tenere, this was the biggest pill to swallow (as it turned out, Yamaha solved the problem by not wanting to sell it to me).

Honestly, I think I'm gonna buy it. There would have to be some very dissapointing specs coming out, and/or a very disappointing test ride for me to step away from this bike.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #148
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

The 650 came in 2004, the 1000 in 2002. Strange, that those who made them, already forgot
Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #149
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Suzuki has made shaft drive bikes in the past and offers some cruisers that are shaft drive.

But I think the sportier bikes shy away from that. The Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Tiger 1050, New KTM Adventure are all heavier on the sport and lighter on the touring, and all have chain drives. I think Suzuki will maintain that focus, especially after Honda's shaft-drive middleweight failed.

A buddy has an interesting approach. He doesn't believe lubricating modern chains does any good so he doesn't do it. And he seems to replace his chains no more frequently than anyone else. So if you follow his approach, you get a lighter, more responsive bike and replace chain and sprockets every 20-30,000 miles. Other than an occasional adjustment, that's it.
I agree that sportier bikes tend to lean towards chain drive, GS and Tiger 800's are as well. Weight savings and ease of gear changing are two very good reasons.

Having a chain drive would not be a deal breaker for me as I have only owned chain driven bikes.

As for maintenance, I lube my chains when they get noisy or before a road trip. Adjust once in a while. My factory chain on the DL went 18,000 miles and I am sure I could have gotten more but I often change things out early.

but that photoshop of the front end is even uglier than the concept bike!

Agreed!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #150
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,576
Not to mention the production costs of a shaft vs. a chain. Personally, I'm glad it comes with a chain instead of a beemer style shaft. (Final drive issues are REAL) The more I see this bike, the more I like it and think Suzuki has done something really good and promising.