ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
The Trimble Outdoor Navigator is not a navigation program {oddly enough!}, it is a mapping program and does show tracks as you make them.

As far as visibility goes, I didnt spend too much time looking down, preferring to dodge trees! The Samsung screen is shiny and will glare, I am looking into a matte screen protector to improve that. Brightness seems to be good, I only turn it up when viewing to stretch battery life.
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1quixote View Post
I thing thing screwy thing is in the Samsung proprietary cable pin-out. I bought a Duracellmbrand multi charger that seems to work well. It has a cig lighter plug body, and a fold down AC plug made into it, and a USB output. I use the Samsung cable even though it came with juice adapter plugs.
As far as I can tell, Samsung phones conform the the Micro USB standard. If it is connected to a PC or a dumb charger, it pulls at most about 300ma. In sunlight with the display a max, that isn't going to work well. If it is a proper charger/cable and has the data lines shorted, per the standard, the phone pulls more current. Typically around 800ma. That is enough to have the display on max AND charge it.
I've confirmed the same on a couple of HTC phones.

I've taken apart cheap chargers before and shorted the data pins to get the high rate.

No idea about tablets. I know that my Asus tablet will only charge from a normal USB charger if the display is turned off. It requires a USB 3.0 port with 12 volts, to charge when the display is on.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Worwig, can you tell me how to go about shorting these pins to get the higher charge rate, in terms a rank amateur would understand?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Worwig, can you tell me how to go about shorting these pins to get the higher charge rate, in terms a rank amateur would understand?

or just buy this

http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-Micro-...=I7URTDYZ5DFK2
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post

Judging by the reviews, that particular one might not be the best purchase, but I get the drift!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
The best way is to solder a short on the two middle USB pins (on the LARGE USB connector) inside the charger.

I have also done it externally with a small bit of aluminium foil. Again, you want to short out the two center pins in the large connector. Carefully glue the small piece of foil over the two center pins in the charger. Plug the cable into the charger so that the two center pins are shorted.

It helps to use an app like "battery monitor". It should state that you are plugged into and AC charger, not USB.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like this cable will do the trick!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Data-Sync-Ch...item2c66947a64