User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #391
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Sam, I have been running Rotopax/Wolfman luggage on my Dakar for quite a while and with zero issues. While I don't worry about gas onroad (easily 220-240+) , It's nice to have cross country offroad and esp w/buddies w/smaller tanks. These engines drink fuel through a thimble. An extra fuel bottle or rotopax should easily ease concerns of fuel is a concern. Either way, 0ne of those mufflers should be a CAT (same as Sertao/Dakar) w/very minimal heat if any. EIther way, w/sheilds (included in kit) there is no concern of excessive heat w/the tank...
nomad5326,
The reports are that there is very little heat, so I agree. I just remember my old KTM 950 cooking me and everything out back of me. Honestly, my riding really wouldn't require a bigger tank and as you said, a rotopax or maybe even two would provide plenty of backup to ease any concern. I won't want to add much more weight to the bike anyway. Racks, panniers and some protect is all mine would require. I have a set of Caribou Cases' 1550 Pelicans just waiting to go on a TR650. I'm trying to work a deal on one now.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #392
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
Wow they already replaced the rims.
The X-Challange ones were junk, I had hoped for better on the Husky.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #393
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
You guys talk about bigger gas tanks. How many of you actually ride more than 200 miles before seeing a gas station? Really?
East of the Rockies.. nah. Out West of the Rockies... you betcha! Just the other day on my KLR in the Oregon outback I was 160 miles into my tank when I decided to try a route out I'd never been. 35 miles in (off-road) I couldn't go any further and had to turn back. By the time I reached a small town with fuel I was over 230 miles into my tank.

With real good planning I could find fuel in the Outback every 100-130 miles... but part of the fun is just going...not planning my route looking for gas.

"Hey whats up there, over that ridge, down in that canyon?"
"I don't know, better not, I might not have enough fuel"
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #394
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,606
yup same here, rideabout and I are on dirt, and we arent the only ones,, when i had a KLR and then 640a i was frequently having to detour and head into a town for fuel. and those bikes are good for over 300 miles.

fuel range is real and something you need to plan around when traveling/exploring off road.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #395
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Terra seen at Intermot w/ Touratech cases and Giant Loop Fandango tank bag.
Looking sharp. Skid plate is on there plus what looks to be a Excel wheel update and other goodies.

What size cans are these?

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #396
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Hopefully BMW has modern/lighter frame, larger tank, taller screen and fully adjustable suspension 650GS in the works....
They won't bother. The Dakar is the low bux model they get some people with, and then when you look at the 800 or 1200, you ponder if they are worth the extra money with the better features, and they usually are. The Dakar would be worth an extra $1500 easy with a quility shock and some upsidedown adjustable forks. However, doing this puts the price closer to the 800, and then they have to retool for the 650 which will take from the 800's price cushion.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #397
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

You really have to think with BMW's penchant for killing off 650 single class bikes, the G650GS & Sertao are probably doomed to be axed again.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #398
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
You guys talk about bigger gas tanks. How many of you actually ride more than 200 miles before seeing a gas station? Really? I have a 2009 g650gs and get 200+ miles on it at 65mph when the fuel light comes on, 240+ miles at 45mph when the fuel light comes on-but it does have a 4.1 gallon tank. Even with the few more ponies the Husky has, you are still going to be close to 200 miles-heck I have a 600lb 800cc cruiser with a 4.1 tank that gets at least 200 miles on a tank.
You can buy extra fuel canisters you can strap to your bags/bike/seat which are made for hard cross country travel which cost lots less than trying to rig up a 3rd party gas tank.

Yes some places in Nevada, Utah, Southern Idaho and Eastern Oregon, 200 miles would be minimum. Stay on the Freeways and you are good, get off pavement or even a few of the state highways, you may not be.

The mom and pops are drying up. Combination of emissions standards they can't meet or re route of roads. Some times the remote stations may or may not have gas. You can't count on them or they may only have one grade, which brings up another problem. The bike requires premium.

Maybe a reason for the KLR. I don't like to ride them, but appreciated some one who did.

Both my bikes do 200mi. Never knew of the Nomad tank, that looks good. It is not comfortable riding in remote areas with just enough. 1 missed turn can be dangerous.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #399
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

I am a little concerned with the fuel filler arrangement on these.

I like that its up front on center, but I live in the boonies and often fill my bikes from a jerry can rather than ride into town if I don't have too.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #400
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Just looking it over in person my only wish was that it sat higher. The Sertao was noticeably taller.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #401
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Wow they already replaced the rims.
The X-Challange ones were junk, I had hoped for better on the Husky.
Touratech sells aftermarket parts and commonly put many of the parts they sell on display bikes, including rims.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #402
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
same here, 200 mi range has made me turn back a bunch in BC outback. last ride I took an Acerbic triple T tank , took the hardware off and put it in soft pannier bag, no leaks either. I am going to mount it on the fork though.
I do like this Terra, nice look, deal too. for e the Baja is cooler though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
yup same here, rideabout and I are on dirt, and we arent the only ones,, when i had a KLR and then 640a i was frequently having to detour and head into a town for fuel. and those bikes are good for over 300 miles.

fuel range is real and something you need to plan around when traveling/exploring off road.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #403
Pepe11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Just got one!!!

I called Long Beach BMW/Husqvarna and they had just got them in a couple of days ago. They had a demo and a new one. Took a demo ride, didnt want to stop riding so took another one and got back to buy it!

I had been looking to get a single cylinder bike to commute around the city and do light off-roading. I really didnt want to get the KLRs or DRs or XRs but started considering them after testing the Sertao. I tested the Sertao and I liked it but didnt fall in love plus for the amount of money that I would have to pay, I would rather find a used Japanese bike, but I'm one of those that also loves the look of a bike and I love the look of the Terras

I loved the Terra's engine. The Sertao would start vibrating at around 60mph, and with the Terra, I didnt feel much vibration at all. I got on the freeway and I was going around 70-75mph for a short period of time and no problem at all with another gear to go. The seat's comfort is not great but is not bad either. I can live with it for now. I'll see when I try it on a long ride.
The Sertao's seat is wide and hard and because its wider it may seem that the bike seats taller but I think they are around the same height. I'm only 5'8 so I much prefer the narrower and a bit softer Terra's seat.
After seeing it for the first time, i knew I wanted one. After reading Kelly's post on the Husqvarna forum, I knew I had to have one. But after riding it, I knew I wouldn't be able to wait so I got it!!
The bike feels really light and will be great for commuting and splitting lanes.

The bike is not at home until thursday, but hopefully will take a nice easy ride up Angeles Crest Hwy next weekend.
Because Im not an experienced Off road rider, im gonna wait to take it there until I get protection for it. When I stood up on the bike, I felt the handlebars a bit too low so may want to add risers in the future too.

It has the same service intervals as the BMWs at 6k.
One of the managers told me that he was going to have meetings with the Husqvarna people at the beginning of the week and see what accessories they were gonna come out with.

If any of you guys live around the area, go test it out before they sell the demo :)
Pepe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #404
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe11 View Post
Just got one!!!

I called Long Beach BMW/Husqvarna and they had just got them in a couple of days ago. They had a demo and a new one. Took a demo ride, didnt want to stop riding so took another one and got back to buy it!
I'm sure Thursday can't come soon enough!

What is the warranty?

Congratulations
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #405
Pepe11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks!

Only one year warranty :(
They didnt know yet if they can do an extended warranty. They were gonna let me know soon.
Pepe11 is offline   Reply With Quote