User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #46
Sniff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Lip vs. Zero Gravity

I'm about a week and 500 miles into Sprint GT ownership and really enjoying it. Question for any other owners out there:

Laminar Lip or Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen?

I'm actually pretty happy with the stock screen, but for bad weather days, I want to keep the rain out of my jacket collar (rained pretty hard during my 50 mile interstate commute on Tuesday, and I arrived rather wet...)

Thoughts?
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #47
MerlotMax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Personally, I like the looks of the Zero Gravity screen and the one on my Bandit works great.
MerlotMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #48
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I will not buy a bike I can't test ride either, but I don't ask for a test ride until I KNOW I want the bike (if it rides out OK) and the price is agreed upon. I rarely even ride demo units, because they almost always ask you to sign a form that says you (or your estate) will buy it if there is any damage to the unit - what if you are hit by an uninsured motorist? I don't like putting my family at risk so I can have a joy ride.

I like the GT, but the ergos are too aggressive for me.
Good Lord, man... It's a motorcycle, not a Rolls Royce...

I don't usually demo or test unless I'm shopping, but my first Guzzi purchase was three months after I demo'd the bike. The 75 mile dealer demo ride sold me, I just wasn't ready for the purchase in December. March came and I went and bought it.

I do ride demos at rallies. I rode a demo Guzzi V7 Classic in Colorado in 2009. I was sold with the factory demo ride, but it was July of this year before I picked one up.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #49
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Any short riders out there on a GT? I was thinking of one for my wife - but @ 5'3 I'm not sure the low seat option would be enough!
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #50
Sniff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side View Post
Any short riders out there on a GT? I was thinking of one for my wife - but @ 5'3 I'm not sure the low seat option would be enough!
I'm going to guess your wife might have a hard time. I'm a 32" inseam and have no problem flat-footing it, but that awesome, wide seat that's so comfy (best stock seat ever IMHO) also makes getting the feet down at a stop a little more difficult than the seat height would indicate. There are professional lowering kits that can be done if you're determined - in fact, there's a lowered Sprint ST for sale here in MD.
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #51
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
I'm going to guess your wife might have a hard time. I'm a 32" inseam and have no problem flat-footing it, but that awesome, wide seat that's so comfy (best stock seat ever IMHO) also makes getting the feet down at a stop a little more difficult than the seat height would indicate. There are professional lowering kits that can be done if you're determined - in fact, there's a lowered Sprint ST for sale here in MD.
Thanks for the reply. I did notice that there is an accessory low seat available that may help a bit. As for the lowering kits - we've been there, done that and ripped the exhaust system off a Ducati Monster in the middle of Idaho to prove it! I'd rather not go down that road again - but I sure do love the Sprint...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #52
jet987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did notice that there is an accessory low seat available that may help a bit. As for the lowering kits - we've been there, done that and ripped the exhaust system off a Ducati Monster in the middle of Idaho to prove it! I'd rather not go down that road again - but I sure do love the Sprint...
I have the OEM low seat on my 2011 Sprint GT. I'm 5'6" 30" inseam and with the regular seat, could only tippie toe both feet. With the Low Seat that's 3/4" lower I came a little closer to the ground, then I removed the rubber bumpers under the Low Seat to lower it 1/4" more and both balls of my feet almost touch the ground, good enough. When I load up both side cases and my Givi V46 top case for a trip, both balls of my feet can touch the ground easily. Then when I remove both side cases and Givi top case from the bike, back on my toes but still doable. The only problem that's not really a problem is when backing out of a parking space, sometimes I get off and walk the bike out of it, no big deal.
jet987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #53
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet987 View Post
I have the OEM low seat on my 2011 Sprint GT. I'm 5'6" 30" inseam and with the regular seat, could only tippie toe both feet. With the Low Seat that's 3/4" lower I came a little closer to the ground, then I removed the rubber bumpers under the Low Seat to lower it 1/4" more and both balls of my feet almost touch the ground, good enough. When I load up both side cases and my Givi V46 top case for a trip, both balls of my feet can touch the ground easily. Then when I remove both side cases and Givi top case from the bike, back on my toes but still doable. The only problem that's not really a problem is when backing out of a parking space, sometimes I get off and walk the bike out of it, no big deal.
Thanks - that's great info - exactly what I needed!

Cheers,

High-Side
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #54
jet987
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Sniff is right, seat is wide. Just to add, with NO seat on the bike at all, I put a leg over the bike and my reach to the ground was actually the same as sitting on the bike with OEM low seat installed... both balls of my feet almost touching the ground. The wide width of the bike just under the seat spreads your legs out a bit, limiting your reach to the ground. The OEM low seat does help compared to the regular seat.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #55
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
I'll assume you already have a bike of your own, so pillion capabilities are not high on the list. At 5'3" she is not a big human & I will suspect not suited to wrestling a 300kg motorcycle intended for carrying larger than average riders plus their chattels about the countryside. As nice as the GT is it seems an odd choice. Why not let her choose her own bike? Go on... empower her!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #56
jet987
Adventurer

I have a Zero Gravity screen on my 2011 Sprint GT, slightly higher than the stock screen. It doesn't seem to be any different for wind flow, so I'm gonna put the stock screen back on in the springtime and will likely sell the ZG screen. Stock screen looks better on the bike anyway.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #57
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Thought I would kick start this thread..

Just got my 2011 GT out of storage in Montana and ready to rip some long rides up here in God's country. Changed the oil, put the battery back in, lubed the chain and it back on the road. What a great bike. I am lucky enough to have others but this thing puts a smile on my face every time that motor spools up. I have to get used to tip toeing a heavier bike and as we know lock to lock this bike sucks but the good far outweighs the bad here. I am still wanting to try the lower MFW pegs but looking for some feedback on how much better it is when installed. It's over 200 bucks for all the hardware and the time to put them on and adjust brake and shifter could be all day for me. ( limited tools and ability). I have the LSL bar set up and while I am ok with the riding position it could be better. I have thought about shaving the seat but I have the upgraded gel version so that's out. It thought if I could gain an inch lower seat it would help with the forward reach as well as the ground being closer ( 5'7" 30 inseam) . Then the pegs would have to be lower.

Anyway if anyone has thoughts on the MFW pegs let me know and if anyone out there is in the Northwest Montana area this summer reach out for a ride. Other than the deer it's about as wide open as it gets
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #58
jet987
Adventurer

TBickell, I rode my 2011 Triumph Sprint GT thru Montana last summer, stored the bike in Bozeman for a fly-and-ride (I live in Chicago), Glacier Natl Park was my favorite. My Sprint has 15k miles on it, doing the 12k service at an independent shop in Los Angeles this week. Awesome bike, a keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
Just got my 2011 GT out of storage in Montana and ready to rip some long rides up here in God's country. Changed the oil, put the battery back in, lubed the chain and it back on the road. What a great bike. I am lucky enough to have others but this thing puts a smile on my face every time that motor spools up. I have to get used to tip toeing a heavier bike and as we know lock to lock this bike sucks but the good far outweighs the bad here. I am still wanting to try the lower MFW pegs but looking for some feedback on how much better it is when installed. It's over 200 bucks for all the hardware and the time to put them on and adjust brake and shifter could be all day for me. ( limited tools and ability). I have the LSL bar set up and while I am ok with the riding position it could be better. I have thought about shaving the seat but I have the upgraded gel version so that's out. It thought if I could gain an inch lower seat it would help with the forward reach as well as the ground being closer ( 5'7" 30 inseam) . Then the pegs would have to be lower.

Anyway if anyone has thoughts on the MFW pegs let me know and if anyone out there is in the Northwest Montana area this summer reach out for a ride. Other than the deer it's about as wide open as it gets
Old 05-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #59
Hair OP
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,227
I really liked the Sprint GT it sucks that it was such a short production run. would still like own one some day.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #60
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I really liked the Sprint GT it sucks that it was such a short production run. would still like own one some day.
i feel that way about the aprilia futura...
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote