Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #46
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,366
I'm not the nicest person, so maybe this is way out of line, but if I thought you intentionally damaged my $40k rig (yeah, that's what a Jeep with a bunch of offroad farkles costs) we'd have had more than words. I have to wonder where it's right to damage someone's stuff for a few minutes of inconvenience or having to ride in someone's dust. I think you should consider how you would feel if someone busted up your stuff because they thought you were inconviencing them.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #47
JOKER650 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Your story is inconsistent,

If he was actively blocking you or otherwise trying to interfere with your passing, and you needed to gun it to make it, you made a bad decision to enter an unsafe condition. Escalating a road rage situation is always stupid.

If he wasn't blocking you on a road wide enough for trucks to pass each other, why would you need him to pull over so you could pass on a motorcycle? Why would you need to gun it?

If you had to gun it because he tried to block you after you initiated a otherwise safe pass, then he merely suffered the consequences of his own stupidity.

Which is it?
I would say yes he was blocking . He was driving down the dead center with about 6-7 feet on either side, so if he moved to the right a little I would have had close to a full lane for the pass.
He knew 2 bikes were there, he looked at us a few times.
I didn't need him to pull over for me to pass..I hoping he would move over a little(like anyone else would) to prevent an A-Hole pass
Gunned it to make the pass quickly past an a-hole
I was only beside him for a second or 2 ...and it seemed he came over to me but maybe not...maybe he flinched because of the SUPRISE pass

Would I do it again? YUP

I waited for a good spot and had an easy 7 feet of gravel road .

Not a $40g Jeep...about $10g Bush JEEP. My SE cost more than that

I had a difficult time understanding what you wrote but your bike is super nice.

Thanks.....kicks up 1 Hell-of-a-ROOST!!

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #48
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Maybe go find the jeep driver and lecture him.
lecture?? what kind of pussy are ya?

Whip out that CCW and blast out his tyres then pistol whip the douche ... you will make the news then

Disclaimer: sarcasm / humour in use in this post
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #49
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Maybe go find the jeep driver and lecture him.
Lectures and revenge are equally wasted on selfish closed minds, they lack the basic understanding that there is an entire world outside their personal desires.
They are like speed bumps, you don't like them, you try to avoid them if possible, you may voice your opinions about them if they become a matter of discussion, but you don't stop to educate them or stomp on them, they're just a brainless bump on the ground.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #50
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
You did the right thing. I go out of my way to be courteous to strangers, particularly when off trail riding when you never know you'll be asking the next stranger you come across to help you extract your stuck bike. Once they've behaved with discourtesy to you, however, 'fuck 'em'.

FWIW, I personally have never had anything but positive experiences with 4x4 truck drivers I've come across offroad.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #51
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER650 View Post

I waited for a good spot and had an easy 7 feet of gravel road .
In other words.

A: It should have been an easy pass, but you lacked the skill and confidence to do it cleanly, so in fear you gunned it.

Or.

B; It should have been an easy pass, but you decided to punish him for not capitulating to your desires, so in anger you gunned it.

I apologize if I seem to be dwelling on the point, I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm just trying to comprehend the mindset of those who would choose to do something that could cause damage or injury over such trivial matters.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #52
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
lecture?? what kind of pussy are ya?

Whip out that CCW and blast out his tyres then pistol whip the douche ... you will make the news then

Disclaimer: sarcasm / humour in use in this post
How about the Harley...
PSYCHO II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #53
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #54
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 20,631
Quote:
Lectures and revenge are equally wasted on selfish closed minds, they lack the basic understanding that there is an entire world outside their personal desires.
They are like speed bumps, you don't like them, you try to avoid them if possible, you may voice your opinions about them if they become a matter of discussion, but you don't stop to educate them or stomp on them, they're just a brainless bump on the ground.
You fail to realize your mind is as closed as those whom you presume to enlighten.

You've made your position known. It's not gaining traction.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #55
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 20,631
Quote:
I apologize if I seem to be dwelling on the point, I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm just trying to comprehend the mindset of those who would choose to do something that could cause damage or injury over such trivial matters.
Again, go lecture the driver who was so wrapped up in himself that he couldn't bear to share the road with courtesy.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #56
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I have to wonder where it's right to damage someone's stuff for a few minutes of inconvenience or having to ride in someone's dust. I think you should consider how you would feel if someone busted up your stuff because they thought you were inconviencing them.

The easy answer here is DON'T be a prick that blocks faster moving vehicles and your shit won't get damaged.

Anyone that goes about intentionaly causing people grief (as the Jeep driver was so obviously doing) should expect some type of retaliation. People that inconvenience others on purpose without a valid reason should NOT be catered to and should be taught a lesson.

I personally would have just passed him right off the git go so I would never have been put out.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 07:50 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #57
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I might have done the same, but you always run the risk that the guy's a sociopath, and in the battle between car and bike the car always wins.

I passed a guy (safely) on 35 heading north from San Marcos to Austin, TX, and the guy got pissed, started passing a bunch of cars, got next to me (my right) and opened his window and started screaming shit. I shot him the bird and he went ballistic, charged right into my lane and pushed me within an inch of the guardrail. I was able to power ahead of him, but I was sandwiched behind another car, and the idiot kept charging up on my rear to within inches. I was able to get out of that situation, but he chased me, cutting off cars left and right, all the way to 71, where he followed me for several more miles. I was able to pull off and call the cops, who basically said they couldn't do anything about it. BTW, this is why I now carry.

The older I get the more I'm convinced that approximately 20% of the population really needs to be kept in cages.
The older I get the more I'm convinced I want to get older yet... and ride more... thus I try to avoid confrontations and keep a fairly safe zone.

Your situation is the thing I thnk we all kind of are concerned about. I don't really blame you for carrying a weapon.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #58
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post

Hi...

My name is mark...

and I'm an asshole...

now what?

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #59
CrazyLegs
In midlife crisis.

Oddometer: 65
Yep.

You're both assholes.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #60
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER650 View Post
He knew 2 bikes were there, he looked at us a few times.

That is an assumption. Dude was checking his mirrors, looking into a cloud of dust at 40 mph behind a Jeep, people look in their mirrors and don't see me on an interstate in broad daylight, you're an asshole.

I was on the TAT one time, checking my one mirror at 75 mph on a big gravel road, literally couldn't see much beyond my back tire, dude in an F350 pulling a stock trailer at 100 mph must have seen me checking my mirror and assumed much like you that I could see him, he passed me and whipped the trailer at me to take me out, I had to just stop, he could have eased on by and I would have let him go, but he chose to be an ASSHOLE based on an assumption.

This is an amazing thread compared to the 'clip a mirror lane sharing' thread. Over there they want to run you down with their F150 if you make the slightest contact going past their lane hog...they see me in the mirror and feel like they have the right to block us, touch a mirror and it's hanging time. I wonder if the opinion in that thread would match this thread if the road was gravel?