Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNester View Post
...What lap are we on??
This minor thing was a major undertaking

And I have done some stupid stuff

But you can't do this on a 250, and I didn't have to spend my money on a 250 first to do it.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #77
Gil.caz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
It is my first adv bike. But I have many years experience with dirt bikes and rode a gsxr 750 for some time too. The power is nice on the road, but I can see how it can be a handful off road. Haven't had a chance to take it off road yet. Still breaking it in. But Barstow will be hit soon.
Gil.caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #78
Meico640
Banned

Oddometer: 264
2012 990adv

Ive just had the pleasure of my very first new bike at almost 50 !!!

Must be a bloody good omen as 2 months after I drop the deposit the girly tells me she is pregnant with our first child...

So two firsts in one year, what a lucky boyo !

Anyway, KTM oz have stopped importing the 990ADV & I was lucky enough to get one of the 2 White ones that they did manage to import.

I reckon it's got to be the best bike I have ever had, just can't see me taking it in the dirt anytime soon. Might have something to do with the $23,000 it cost, or the baby costs coming up or the fact that I'm still in the polishing stage...(ok, I think it's the Polishing stage, I'll get over it)

Or

The fact that I have a fully prepped KTM640ADV sitting next to it...

In the OZ desert I'm sure the 990 is gonna be amazing & I'm sure I will find out but to be honest, the 640 is truly the best ADV bike off the shelf with very little to spend & a fuel range of over 400+Kim's

So I'll count myself lucky on many fronts, but my advice to any new KTM owners is, just get a new seat ! (Renazco)
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #79
Pops of the desert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
As "First Bike"

Little background before my opinion. I am 57 years young have been riding since I was 13. Raced Desert and Motocross for 25 years. I am not in the greatest shape, drink too much beer, and ride my 990 like I stole it. Have only had the 990 for going on 5 months and still have my XR dual sport THIS IS MY SINGLE TRACK BIKE. I ride two up on the adventure alot (with a pillion as experienced as I am) lots of nasty two track and the Sierra NV bolder piles.

I will say I would not let someone I love with no experience ride my 990. It would be a bad experience for both of us.
The bike is difficult just to turn around in a parking lot for the inexperienced rider. IMHO you would learn the skills needed much quicker on a smaller bike.

That said some people are naturals, I have seen kids win their first race entered and never look back. This is a call your going to need to make.
Pops
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #80
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037

That is something that hasnt been brought up is the weird slow speed handling. Its not bad or dangerous just different than any other bike I have ridden. My goal is to do a no feet down circle in my back yard. I havent made it yet. Slow figure 8's are something that must be practiced on this bike to be good at. Shifting weight around is a must on this bike. It is also one of the things that make it so great to ride. A kayak (For another simple explanation has) What is called primary and secondary stability. I find that KTM has the same thing. Above a certain speed the large diameter rims/tires and center of gravity want to keep the bike upright. Under a certain speed there is alot of leverage because of the height working against you. This is especially true for a short legged dude like me. Once it starts to fall over you have to be ready and dab a foot down or gas it.
Dont get me wrong, I am not faulting the bike for this it is just a tall bike.
Now on the flip side, Get this thing rolling and it will do magic things. It will within your abilities be a joy to ride. On dirt woops my wife looks like she is riding a pogo stick. She commented the other day that (why doesnt your head ever move up and down when you ride. Its all bike and knees I tell her. She rides very tense in the dirt and cant relax. The KTM feels much like a live animal with a semi mind of its own. Let it have its way sometimes and dont fight it. Only worry about the big stuff and the bike will either skip over or crush the little stuff. Avoid baby head rocks though.
When I bought the bike I was told to (ride it standing up until you can do it for at least 20 miles with no fatigue. This is on pavement. It has become one of my greatest joys riding this bike in the mountains standing up and steering with just foot pressure and simple body leaning. This does cause weird looks from cagers though.
I know its getting long but I am 40 ounces into it.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #81
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037

Dear Dog though. Dont ask about center of gravity or roll center, sitting vs. standing. We dont want to start that again!!!
Just ride it.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #82
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,212
Wow... this thread's up to 6 pages already? Lot's of opinions, huh?

While it wasn't my first bike, my 990A was my first ADV bike and I don't regret it for a minute... went from a Kawasaki ZX10R to a Triumph Sprint to a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 to the KTM.

I'm 5'7" and 145lbs and yes, the 990 is a BIG bike, but... SO much fun and it's performance inspires me to become a better rider. Yep... I'm not even close to riding it to its full potential, but I'm motivated and am getting there.

Don't let ANYONE tell you what you can or can't do, brother. (or in the words of Tony Montana... "The only thing that gives orders in this world is balls." )

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #83
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Don't let ANYONE tell you what you can or can't do, brother.
In six pages of text, this is perhaps the most useful advice in this thread... and life.

The only way to know for sure (about anything) is to try it.

Otherwise "It's too late to wish I was strong." Towns Van Zant

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #84
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
"It's too late to wish I was strong." Towns Van Zant
Awesome quote!
A Few Past Bikes
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #85
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 624
It was actually playing on the radio as I was typing my response above. It just sorta seemed to fit, so I thought I'd lift my coffee mug in salute to the man.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #86
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
To top it off, wait for the 2013 model 1190, 150 hp! Some chook chaser
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #87
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Yeehah, Road her down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Wow... this thread's up to 6 pages already? Lot's of opinions, huh?

While it wasn't my first bike, my 990A was my first ADV bike and I don't regret it for a minute... went from a Kawasaki ZX10R to a Triumph Sprint to a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 to the KTM.

I'm 5'7" and 145lbs and yes, the 990 is a BIG bike, but... SO much fun and it's performance inspires me to become a better rider. Yep... I'm not even close to riding it to its full potential, but I'm motivated and am getting there.

Don't let ANYONE tell you what you can or can't do, brother. (or in the words of Tony Montana... "The only thing that gives orders in this world is balls." )

Nice,

you rode her into the ground (griping bars all the way) and you didn't even get your nice Klim suit dirty. Impressive!
Although you don't want that beast landing on top on you if you can help it.
I did that a couple of times and it was very painful.

MZ
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #88
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
Nice,

you rode her into the ground (griping bars all the way) and you didn't even get your nice Klim suit dirty. Impressive!
Although you don't want that beast landing on top on you if you can help it.
I did that a couple of times and it was very painful.

MZ

My riding companions were also impressed my duds didn't get muddy... I earned the "Teflon Suit' award for that one and they called that pose, "The Scorpion"
A Few Past Bikes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #89
moosnutz
meow meow

Oddometer: 68
Bought my 990 after having owned Suzuki and Kawasaki 650 thumpers. I had lusted after the big KTM since they first came out & so decided 'what the hell'. I bought the bike planning to get it offroad frequently, but with my current life schedule that just hasn't happened. So now I use my big, scary, snarly dirt bike as a daily commuter / beer go-getter. Do I love it? YES. Do I giggle like a schoolgirl whenever I throw a leg over it? YES. Is 8k RPMs nirvana? YES. That said, I've got the bike listed for sale & as soon as I do sell it I'm going to march my happy ass down to a dealer and buy a KTM 990 SM T as I think it will fit my needs better.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what you ride.....
moosnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #90
frunta_sti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Black Dog +1

All above mentioned will work. My choice was based on actual availability at the time of purchase. No regrets.