Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #106
Biebs OP
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 461
Wink Bring it back!!!

OK we have a thread " Why you should not buy a Ural Motorcycle"

I would never buy a Ural Motorcycle.

But if you want to consider a Ural combo with sidecar it is a GOOD idea!!!

Already built and for you immediate instant gradification!!!

Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #107
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 544
Ural in BMW Land

Took my 2005 Ural Patrol to the BMW Rally in Missouri this year. You wouldn't believe the dirty looks and razzing I got

from the BMW sidecarists every time I slipped it into REVERSE

as they pushed their rigs backwards.

Priceless!

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #108
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCjon View Post
Took my 2005 Ural Patrol to the BMW Rally in Missouri this year. You wouldn't believe the dirty looks and razzing I got

from the BMW sidecarists every time I slipped it into REVERSE

as they pushed their rigs backwards.

Priceless!

Yeah, we can't believe anybody is so friggin lazy that they need a reverse for something so easy to push!

Urals are okay if that's what you're into. Personally, the thing I like best about sidecar meets is that there is so much variety, so much experimentation (trial and error) among the hacks. Urals? Sort of like the HD of the sidecar world. They're pretty much all cut from the same mold and I rarely see them far from home.

But whatever floats your boat.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #109
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
[QUOTE=Boondox;19767548]Yeah, we can't believe anybody is so friggin lazy that they need a reverse for something so easy to push!

Urals are okay if that's what you're into. Personally, the thing I like best about sidecar meets is that there is so much variety, so much experimentation (trial and error) among the hacks. Urals? Sort of like the HD of the sidecar world. They're pretty much all cut from the same mold and I rarely see them far from home.

But whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTI must agree with you on your reverse comment. I've owned a Gold Wing for over a year, and have used th reverse once or twice. The reverse is normally not needed, and not worth the effort to use.

Hey, I also travel everywhere with my dog, Pugsley. He sits on the Wing pillion, double strapped and harnessed to the armrests. When I had the Ural rig, he would normally crawl into the nose and go to sleep.

On the Wing, he is sitting up most of the time. He loves it. Your comments on dogs are very true. My dog treats me better than most of the former girlfriends, which he replaced. At my age, he fills about all my needs for companionship. We have logged 40,000 miles on two bikes.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #110
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Urals? I rarely see them far from home.

I'm far from the only one to ride one a decent distance. Paging Mr. COB., Hubert, Bugsonmyface, Ara and Spirit,...
I will add that I like all bikes out there. All riders? No.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #111
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
i keep trying to get the wife to let me get a new ural.

she keeps saying no, because she'd rather ride on the back than in a chair (hasn't tried how does she know)

ive got my bmw r80. and i ride the piss out of it, about 3 to 400 miles a week. i keep wanting a hack for utility reasons, and the ural "t" has just what i need.

one day. hopefully sooner than later
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #112
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post

I'm far from the only one to ride one a decent distance. Paging Mr. COB., Hubert, Bugsonmyface, Ara and Spirit,...
I will add that I like all bikes out there. All riders? No.
I didn't say Urals never go long distances, just that I rarely see them further than 50 miles of their homeport. The vast majority of Urals I've seen are used to putt around their neighborhood.

I am not a fan of out of the box bikes. I like old Harleys that have been lovingly restored, even though I'd never want one. The new HD has no appeal for me. I like the GS more than the GSA because riders put their own personality into farkling the GS, while the GSAs are all alike. Urals are pretty much like that to me. But there are HD, GSA, and Ural owners who are looking for exactly what their bikes/rigs provide. Like I said, whatever floats your boat.

I do think the Ural tub is the most elegant looking tub out there and if Barley didn't lunge at small game crossing the road I probably would have put one of them on my BMW. Because he's a gun dog, the Hannigan clamshell keeps him safely inside the tub.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #113
Ven Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I seem to recall Ara recently posting something about his new Ural getting approx. 100mpg. I wonder if that's serious? If so, is that fully loaded or just with Spirit onboard? What kind of mileage are you folks getting from your rig?

Doubling my GSA's gas mileage would be one hell of a reason to trade, (up/down?).
Ven Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #114
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven Moto View Post
I seem to recall Ara recently posting something about his new Ural getting approx. 100mpg. I wonder if that's serious? If so, is that fully loaded or just with Spirit onboard? What kind of mileage are you folks getting from your rig?

Doubling my GSA's gas mileage would be one hell of a reason to trade, (up/down?).
That was that Dneper troll. Urals get about 30, just like a hacked GS
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #115
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:

100mpg?... Thanks for clarifying it was not us posting. [unless Spirit did while my back was turned!].
I am actually getting just about as well as the GS, around 33/35mpg. "Crusty" [that is her name now] truly excels off road I must say.

Stay well...

Ara and Spirit

BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #116
Ven Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah. Must not have read something completely. Thanks for the clear-up.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #117
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:

Not likely!

At 55mph (+/-5) on level terrain I got 37.2mpg with the GSA fully loaded with Barley, four gallons of water, my beer and his kibble, plus all our camping gear. That was on US 24 from El Paso IL to Mansfield OH. Coming back from Sedalia MO on I-70 -- traveling fast at night to escape the 105+ heat and again fully loaded -- we averaged 29.6mpg at 80mph on a 600 mile day. The worst mileage I ever got was 20.4mpg into a brutal headwind that held my speed down to about 70mph in fifth gear.

I generally average 36mpg while exploring our rural mountain roads, 30mpg in spirited driving. Wind seems to be a mileage killer; the large profile of the rig has a heck of a sail area.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #118
Ven Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Whatever I read I must have taken completely out of context. Pardon my retardation. I should know not to expect such mileage out of anything larger than a Taotao scooter.

Thanks for your stats, Ara and Boondox. I just started considering selling my GSA, and looking into something smaller, cheaper(?). I can't seem to ride within 10 miles of my local BMW dealer without having hundreds of dollars sucked out of my pocket.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #119
immulmen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
I didn't say Urals never go long distances, just that I rarely see them further than 50 miles of their homeport. The vast majority of Urals I've seen are used to putt around their neighborhood.

I am not a fan of out of the box bikes. I like old Harleys that have been lovingly restored, even though I'd never want one. The new HD has no appeal for me. I like the GS more than the GSA because riders put their own personality into farkling the GS, while the GSAs are all alike. Urals are pretty much like that to me. But there are HD, GSA, and Ural owners who are looking for exactly what their bikes/rigs provide. Like I said, whatever floats your boat.

I do think the Ural tub is the most elegant looking tub out there and if Barley didn't lunge at small game crossing the road I probably would have put one of them on my BMW. Because he's a gun dog, the Hannigan clamshell keeps him safely inside the tub.
I live in Southern Maine where we most likely have more Urals as compared to the population then anywhere else in the US. I agree that a lot of Urals are used locally. But with the Riders I know local is more like 100 to 200 mile round trip days. I have been with them on my Chang Jiang flathead for 200 to 250 mile day trips. As for the Chang, that is all I want to be on it in 1 day! We have one rider that went coast to coast and back with a monkey.
As for boats, I use water but sometimes try to use air. The last time I did that I went swimming at almost 60mph and the boat was floating upside down! [I may be crazy but not stupid, it was at a boat race with lots of safety equipment and rescue boats on the water].
Chris J
immulmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #120
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:

Using that same argument, I bet you at least 85% or more of ALL motorcycles out there probably never go more than 50 miles from their homes (I won't single any particular make/model out here). You also have to factor in their relative low numbers compared to the other makes/models out there. The last time that I looked, Ural stated they only make something like 3000-4000 bikes a year for their world market. Many of the major manufacturers probaby make that many in a week or more.

That's an interesting comparison you make and I never really thought of it like that - mainly because I never seen any driving around unless I'm near one of the two dealers in my general area. That is the one minor thing that really does bug me about Ural is the limited colors and everyone seems to have the same (black, green, or one of the camo ones). I've already made up my mind to either have mine repainted or vinyl wrapped when I get it so that I don't see its clone everywhere. Not that I really plan on seeing any other ones around me, but you never know. Now if my friggin check would just show up so that I can aleviate from someone the burden of keeping their Ural in their garage..........
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote