Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
I have a pair of Sidi Discovery's that are 8 years old, I walk in creeks to check the depth quite often and my feet don't get wet. Maybe the newer versions aren't as good, but these are the best boots I've ever had and still have years of use in them.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
Herr Bae M. Vae
Insurgent Squirrel

Oddometer: 18
I joke about Sidi but I actually have four pairs of Sidi cycling shoes that I really love. They are absolute top quality. I think the only real issue here is the unfortunate decision by Sidi's marketing team to call them "Rains." They obviously were never intended to be completely waterproof. That's why they have another model above this one, which I'd probably buy if my Alpinestars didn't still have so much life left in them.
Herr Bae M. Vae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Willsfree
Free to Explore

Oddometer: 3
I purchased a pair of Sidi Adventure Boots in November after months of research to buy the most protective boots for my riding needs.

I commute everyday to work 50 miles round trip and two hundred miles average on the weekends.
I was fairly happy with the boots, other than the constant squeak (which I had read about beforehand on the forum).
I finally was able to take a long trip over the Christmas holiday from San Francisco to Arizona and back. I left on Sunday December 23rd during a large storm that had covered the entire state.
I was riding my Kawasaki Concours which offers a lot of protection from the weather.

I wore smartwool socks under the boots.
Over the boots I wore REI softshell pants, then Marmott Precip Rain Pants and then my Olympia Phantom one piece motorcycle suit.
All three layers of pants were overlapping the uppers of the boots.

When I got about 200 miles into the journey, I noticed that my toes were sloshing in water.

I could wiggle my toes back and forth and feel the water moving in the toe box of both boots.

When I arrived at the hotel in Santa Barbara that night, I took off the boots and poured out some water from each boot; My socks were soaked as well, as were the liners of the boot.

I am certain that no water came in from the uppers of the boots, but was confused how water would have penetrated the lowers.

I dried out the boots over the air conditioner and then continued the 2500 mile trip. Very little rain was encountered afterwards and the boots remained relatively dry other than moisture from sweat. The soaking wet boots could have been a huge problem over a ten day trip had it continued to rain.

I have contacted Motonation and they are going to address the issue.
However, I decided to test the boots to see how porous they are and submerged the lowers into a tub of water. The boot completely filled with water. I then took the boot out of the tub and watched the water draining out of the lowers of the boot. So, we are not talking about some slow capillary soaking here, but significant gaps in the construction of the boot...hardly to be considered water resistant

You would think that for $400 dollars, labeled as Rain boots, squeaking like rubber galoshes, that the boots would resist water under most conditions.

Maybe they will trade me a pair of Adventure Gor-tex, but the construction issues have me concerned as well.

I would have bought a pair of Gaerne G-Midland boots from Atomic Moto, but I couldn't find a pair to try on first; the G-Midlands would be my next choice as I need a boot that I can commute in and wear under my one piece suit.

Well, there it is...
Willsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Wicked going at it from a different angle

So, my sidi adv rain turned out to not be watter proof.
Also, after 20k some of the stiching has started to unravel.
Not impressed and was thinking of getting a pair of less offroady boots but that I know from past experience that ARE WaterProff and last for just about ever.

But just can't get myself to pass up on the protection...
Talking to a friend who has the corssfire boots (great protection, no water resistance at all), he was telling me how so much faster they dry than water proof boots. No matter the boot, after deep water corssing, their full of water anyway.

So, I think the route I'm gonna go is throw the adv rains in the closet and get me a pair of crossfire with a couple of pairs of water proof socks and some murino inner socks.

and the best thing about that setup, is that is the boot is ever compromised (bad stricking or what ever) my feet will still be dry. and socks dry out way faster than boots!

Now, I just hope it actually works out!
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote