User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Baileigh metal working tool quality?

I'm interested in a 48", 16ga. sheet metal brake and I think Baileigh's BB-4816M may do the trick.

I can't find any feedback anywhere about this model, or any of their other equipment, for that matter.

Does anyone here have personal, first-hand experience with Baileigh equipment? If so, please post your good and bad.

Their website is very vague on where things are manufactured.

All my searches took me to threads on multiple enthusiast sites being spammed by a Baileigh sales rep. I want to hear from the actual owners / end users of the equipment, not from the seller.

^ If the above model is China made, I'll keep looking for a nice Pexto box/pan brake...

Thanks in advance.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 10:34 AM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,451
I think Baleigh advertises heavily on Pirate4x4 looks like really nice equipment.

I think you'd be better served by going to an auction and buying a used american tool. Probably a lot cheaper too

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
I've seen their products used on Trucks! and Muscle Car shows on the Speed Channel. I always drool over those tools as I have no room in my garage for them. From what I have seen from them on TV, they are a quality AMERICAN MADE product. The tasks they showcase on TV always appear to be performed accurately and relatively effortlessly.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Some of their equipment is USA made, some is not. They don't differentiate which is which. Their website is very vague on this. Maybe they want you to think everything is USA made. If that's the case, they are succeeding.

From their site:

Where is Baileigh Industrial products made?

They are made in our manufacturing plants all over the world. We currently have plants in USA, Portugal, Italy, Poland, England, Germany, China, and Taiwan

I read one flame war on another site where a guy bought an expensive Baileigh brake through a Fastenal dealer. He was told it was taking so long to receive because it was shipping from Germany. When he finally did receive it, it was marked made in China on the shipping crate and on the brake. He discovered it was a rebadged unit that he could have bought for cheaper through someone else. Seems a little shady to me.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning torwards a quality, 20 year old Pexto, Roper Whitney, Whitney Jensen, Di-Acro, Niagra, etc, etc.

...oh, the old USA models really aren't cheaper, but there's a reason for that. They make money. And normally, they are a lifetime tool. You buy it once. All the USA made, 16 gauge capable, 48" wide, floor model, box/pan brakes I've seen in the last 4 months have been in the $2500 - $4000 range. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that special deal, though! ...and I'll keep saving my pennies so I can jump on that deal when it comes my way!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 01:23 PM
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
sailah
Lampin' it

Go to auctionzip.com or similar and watch for the industrial auctions for machine shops, HVAC etc.

I've been to plenty in the last couple years and they are lucky to pull $500 for one of those around here. Probably half that really

You can score some incredible deals, I got $25,000 worth of drill bits and reamers for $250. The only downside (although I really like going to these) is that you might have to wait around for hours to bid on one thing and it goes past your range, which leads to angry bidding=overpaying

It's def the place I buy all my equipment. I bought a lifetime of woodworking equipment, big drill press, lathe, tooling, vices, clamps all at these auctions.

Nessmuk
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Go to auctionzip.com or similar and watch for the industrial auctions for machine shops, HVAC etc.

I've been to plenty in the last couple years and they are lucky to pull $500 for one of those around here. Probably half that really

You can score some incredible deals, I got $25,000 worth of drill bits and reamers for $250. The only downside (although I really like going to these) is that you might have to wait around for hours to bid on one thing and it goes past your range, which leads to angry bidding=overpaying

It's def the place I buy all my equipment. I bought a lifetime of woodworking equipment, big drill press, lathe, tooling, vices, clamps all at these auctions.
Shoot! I must definately be looking in the wrong places!

I know about auctionzip from a co-worker who's always buying vintage firearms. I tried their search engine and came up with nothing. Maybe I did something wrong. I'll take a look again today.

The guy I bought the shear from had just bought 25k worth of bits from Canada for some crazy price like you did. He said his import fee was $900, but he's made bank by selling the bits on ebay for the last 4 years. Birds of a feather!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
sailah
Lampin' it

I sold the huge ones I'll never use for more than I paid for the whole mess so I basically got them for free.

The auctionzip search engine stinks, try using any key words that you think are close. I usually restrict to just industrial and set the range out 100 miles.

I love going just to walk through an old shop. A lot of the people I bid against I know are scrap dealers or resellers on ebay. For bits or similar if you buy enough you can typically sell off repeats to cover your tab

Nessmuk
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Excellent info! Thanks, Sailah!

BTW, if anyone is interested, the Baileigh BB-4816M is indeed manufactured in China. That is what I consider a deal-breaker.

I'd have a hard time sleeping at night paying $2300 for that. Pass.

Hello auctionzip!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

On a related note, Roper Whitney makes a 4' "Magnabend" magnetic brake similar in function to the one I originally listed from Baileigh.

Only difference being that it IS manufactured and assembled in USA. It's more expensive by a few hundred dollars, but I'm amazed at what these magnetic brakes can do. I will gladly pay the difference for a tool made here.

I like that the machine doesn't get in the way. The bending depth for a box is not limited by the fingers. It is unlimited by the machine.
Plus, you can remove the top bar and use a piece of round stock for making radius bends or scrolls.
You can even make an enclosed duct and slide the piece out either end.

I'm thinking that for some of the artsy fartsy type of bends I may be making, this tool may be hard to beat.

You only go around once and need to do things that keep your mind excited. I may break down and get the Roper Whitney version...
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

On another, another related note, I just discovered that Tennsmith also makes a 4' magnetic brake. Made in USA, and nearly $1,000 cheaper than both previously mentioned brakes.

These brakes are nearly identical aside from color, and from what I can gather, the original manufacturer was an Aussie company who in the 1980's released patent information under license, so there are 3 or 4 manufacturers of the same brake now.

Okay. I'll stop talking to myself now and let the voices in my head take back over.

That is all.

Ummm - okay. This is getting confusing. Tennsmith saved Roper Whitney from bankruptcy last year or so by buying them out. So.....Tennsmith doesn't make this model anymore, but RW still does. Essentially the same brake for $1000 more. ARGGGGGH! Oh well. Such is life... Still racking my pea brain on getting it or not...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 04:56 AM