Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #361
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaboo65 View Post
I don't have a Spot, am I going to be that remote. I've got my smart phone but unfortunately have AT&T and can't get service along the Mississippi much less DOWNTOWN Prairie Du Chien.

I've thought about a Spot for frame of mind but not sure I wanted to spend the money (and then you need to pay more for the service if I'm not correct).

Anyone know AT&T coverage up there? I'm guessing not much.
It's really spotty.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...57882798&sci=4
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #362
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
The DeLorme Inreach sat tracker/communicator has been getting some very strong reviews. I've heard it is much more accurate than the Spot. It allows texting, which is fairly expensive per text, but could be useful if no other means of communication is available. So far as I understand, DeLorme does not require a full-year commitment, but offers a four month seasonal package.

It's on my short list for next summer.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #363
Endurochamp
n00b

Oddometer: 7
UPAT Solo 9/25/2012

7 Days and 2249 miles later I have finished the Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail laid out by Cannonshot. A total of 1497 amazing miles in the U.P. alone and 57 hrs and 35 minutes actual seat time. Even though it seemed like 80 hours thanks to the good old sand.
Started the route at St. Ignace and went CCW ending back at St. Ignace. Kudos to Cannonshots as the route was perfect. The amount of time put into riding and finding the perfect routes, putting into GPS format, and descriptions and photos is highly appreciated. It was great matching up descriptions and photos.
Thanks again Cannonshot.
Endurochamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #364
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurochamp View Post
7 Days and 2249 miles later I have finished the Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail laid out by Cannonshot. A total of 1497 amazing miles in the U.P. alone and 57 hrs and 35 minutes actual seat time. Even though it seemed like 80 hours thanks to the good old sand.
Started the route at St. Ignace and went CCW ending back at St. Ignace. Kudos to Cannonshots as the route was perfect. The amount of time put into riding and finding the perfect routes, putting into GPS format, and descriptions and photos is highly appreciated. It was great matching up descriptions and photos.
Thanks again Cannonshot.
I bet you saw some fall color!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #365
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,683
Quote:
Thanks again Cannonshot.
Sounds like you had a great ride! Glad you got to enjoy the path.

Any pictures or stories to share?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #366
Planespotting
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Depends on what your "worst case" is.

10/14/2006:

Near Kenton MI. Rare, and I think it was gone within 72 hours, but something to be ready for.

Personally, I'll take it over cold rain any day.
LSPR Woohoo! That would have been a fun one to be at.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #367
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
UPAT solo also

I didn't ride the whole thing but made it from Wakefield late on Sunday 9/30, to Sawyer on 9/30 riding clockwise. Great colors some really fun and occasionally, very challenging terrain. Got a little lonely being by myself (I thought I would enjoy this but missed having someone to share with). I lost one Keen sandle (green) between Porcupine Mountain State Park and Eagle River MI if anyone finds one.

I camped at Presque Isle in the Porkies, Moteled it at Copper Harbor but wish I would have camped (I needed a cooked meal not a room I figured out). Awesome last night of camping at Perkins County Park in Big Bay!

The bike surprisingly was never on its side but came very close riding up some hill a bit south of Marquette. Loose, deep rutted sand really had me working hard. I wondered how that would be riding down.

I really enjoyed riding from Copper Harbor to the the Rocket Range and High Rock Bay.

Thanks for putting this together Cannon I'm looking forward to riding the rest at some point. I'll post some photos soon.
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #368
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaboo65 View Post
I didn't ride the whole thing but made it from Wakefield late on Sunday 9/30, to Sawyer on 9/30 riding clockwise. Great colors some really fun and occasionally, very challenging terrain. Got a little lonely being by myself (I thought I would enjoy this but missed having someone to share with). I lost one Keen sandle (green) between Porcupine Mountain State Park and Eagle River MI if anyone finds one.

I camped at Presque Isle in the Porkies, Moteled it at Copper Harbor but wish I would have camped (I needed a cooked meal not a room I figured out). Awesome last night of camping at Perkins County Park in Big Bay!

The bike surprisingly was never on its side but came very close riding up some hill a bit south of Marquette. Loose, deep rutted sand really had me working hard. I wondered how that would be riding down.

I really enjoyed riding from Copper Harbor to the the Rocket Range and High Rock Bay.

Thanks for putting this together Cannon I'm looking forward to riding the rest at some point. I'll post some photos soon.

Sounds like you had an excellent experience! Looking forward to the pix.

Now you'll have to join us on some of the other Treks! Perhaps the Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail would suit you.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #369
Endurochamp
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I bet you saw some fall color!
Fall colors were amazing. It was really neat to see the different stages of color as I went from the east to west and back east. Here are a few pics.

Endurochamp screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 03:57 PM Reason: No Pictures
Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #370
Endurochamp
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Sounds like you had a great ride! Glad you got to enjoy the path.

Any pictures or stories to share?
This seems like a pretty popular picture.

Endurochamp screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 03:59 PM Reason: Wrong picture
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #371
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Thanks for the great pictures! Amazing!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #372
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Fall colors were amazing. It was really neat to see the different stages of color as I went from the east to west and back east. Here are a few pics.

How did the F800 do?, Did you do the Big bike go-arounds? I'm a pretty experienced rider, and I am planning to run the UPAT in May with my '12 KLR 650. I am wondering what I will be up against with my bike and all the gear for camping strapped to it? I plan to trailer it up to a friends cabin in Mackinaw city, leave my truck, then slab it to the UP to cut down on my vacation time from work....

Jon
Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #373
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
How did the F800 do?, Did you do the Big bike go-arounds? I'm a pretty experienced rider, and I am planning to run the UPAT in May with my '12 KLR 650. I am wondering what I will be up against with my bike and all the gear for camping strapped to it? I plan to trailer it up to a friends cabin in Mackinaw city, leave my truck, then slab it to the UP to cut down on my vacation time from work....

Jon
Jon, I rode some of the UPAT this fall with a '09 KLR650. I rode from Wakefield to Copper Harbor and then to Marquette and K..I. Sawyer before heading back towards home. I did the big bike route and found only had a couple places where I thought I might have some problems. Looking back those where the fun stuff. I had one section of deep, deep sand that was a struggle but I made it through. I had all my camping gear loaded and the bike did great!

I hope to return next spring or early summer with some friends to ride more of it again. Post on here (or PM me) when you are going if you are looking for some company.

I need to remember to post some photos!
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #374
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
WOW there Cannonshot, beautiful! I have always wanted to travel to the UP as an old Army bud of mine use to talk about it. Now...... this is the first visuals I've ever seen so I need to figure out a road trip. BTW my Army Bud lives in Wisconsin been meaning to visit.

Way to plant the seed.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #375
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
WOW there Cannonshot, beautiful! I have always wanted to travel to the UP as an old Army bud of mine use to talk about it. Now...... this is the first visuals I've ever seen so I need to figure out a road trip. BTW my Army Bud lives in Wisconsin been meaning to visit.

Way to plant the seed.
Thanks Sam. I'm glad you are enticed by the route. I think you will be very pleased if you ride it.

As long as you are coming this way, consider knocking off the Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail as well. Something similar, but no big bike go-arounds.