ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #271
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,896
How about comments on the two options for Cathedral?

If you are going north on GWT, it would be down.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #272
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
How about comments on the two options for Cathedral?

If you are going north on GWT, it would be down.
I put these comments in my first post:

"Both were big bike acceptable. Cathedral Valley road was wide but with many sandy spots. Scenery was great - classice Utah red cliffs. The Hartnett Draw road was more fun. It was narrow and a little more primitive and hardly any sand. Scenery was totally different - classic desert. There was a spectacular stretch thru some Bentonite hills near the southern end. We also had to cross the Fremont River to get back to UT 24."

Also the Fremont crossing was no more than axle deep when we crossed. The crossing is kind of long, maybe 20 yards since the exit point is not opposite the entrance.

Not sure how much more to add. Any suggestions?

I looked at your new GWT tracks and they looked fine to me. You might want to put the Chokecherry trail in red.

What new tracks did you put in west of Page? I looked at a couple and they were at least a few months old. But I did not do an exhaustive search.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #273
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
"Both were big bike acceptable. Cathedral Valley road was wide but with many sandy spots. Scenery was great - classice Utah red cliffs. The Hartnett Draw road was more fun.

What new tracks did you put in west of Page?
True on ChokeCherry.

Which is which? Are they both Adv or just one and other DS?

Gap to Page
George Lake to Tropic via Cottenwood (great route)
Page to Tropic via Cottenwood
Lee to Tropic via Cottenwood (still need section in middle)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #274
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I don't know what the accepted definitions of Adv and DS are. Both roads would be easily doable by me on my KLR and by the guys I ride with on KTM 990s. I don't know about GS1200 class machines, but I suspect they would be okay for any reasonably competent rider. There might be a fall or two in the sand on the Caineville wash road.

I looked at your tracks again and think I found the ones you mentioned. The names aren't exactly the same, e.g. Gap-Page is AZ 10-3 Gap-Page. They were all dated Oct 2011 though. I can't see how this could happen with the unit getting time from the GPS signal.

Maybe I need to go back and reload them from GPSX. But the track list is different from the version I downloaded in June.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #275
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=wbbnm;19782883]
The names aren't exactly the same, e.g. Gap-Page is AZ 10-3 Gap-Page.

They were all dated Oct 2011 though. QUOTE]

The prefix is just to put them in the correct order, any sufix denotes difference like nothing, "Adv", "HW (Hard Way)", Soort Cut, etc. I use "Adv" for bypass of a secton too hard for big bikes. Sounds like both are ok for all bikes. Again which is which?

Tracks don't really have a date. What is listed at "Start Time" is just the time tag on the first track point and has no meaning for all the rest of the track points. You have to either open the whole track and scroll down to see what the time tags are or click on various points of the track to see time tags. If you look at Gap-Page and Gap-Lee, you will see they have the same first few miles then the ends were in two different years.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #276
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for straightening me out on the dates. I didn't think to scroll down.

Caineville Wash/Cathedral valley is the easternmost road. Hartnett Draw is the west one.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #277
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Northwest of Page at Hwy 89!

Quote:
Thanks for update. I was there also last week working new options between 89 & 89A west of Page. I will take your tracks and mine and update big file on GPSXchange.

What is the code for your tracks "P" is proposed 9no date tag)? Others with tags are obviouisly actual?
Hello Countdown - A few weeks ago I rode a dirt road from Big Water just northwest of Page. It ran 100 miles or so east and north through what I think is the Escalante wilderness, ending at Escalante. It's called Smokey Mountain Road. The second water crossing stopped me so I took a bypass called Smokey Hollow Rd. It was basically a sand wash that ran maybe 20 miles. You can see the bypass marked by a sign I photographed below.

Is this road a possibility for the GWT? The beauty of it is that there is a ranger station at Big Water to learn of the conditions, so an easy bypass on pavement. The road was pretty beat up from weather for me from flooding and such, but I made it OK as a solo on my 250R. Probably not twin friendly unless one had a riding partner to help pick up.

Fortunately, the sand was damp enough to navigate easily and the mud was firm. The rock gardens left by the flood was a little challenging for the likes of me, but no drama. Just careful. Only one spill......not happy at the time, though.

I was too early at the ranger station so I chanced it and I am told now the road was closed! That is a good sign. I think it would be big bike friendly when the road is fixed again.

Here's a thing I googled up for it. Scroll down to Smokey Mtn
http://www.utahcanyons.com/roads/escalanteroads.htm

Pantah screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:12 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #278
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Smokey Mountain is a great ride. We have done it twice in the past few years. Both times we took the Smokey Hollow version but by mistake. I really want to do the real Smokey Hollow sometime. I understand the Kelly Grade is pretty neat.

What was wrong with the water crossing? Too much water or too deeply washed out or too muddy?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #279
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Smokey Mountain is a great ride. We have done it twice in the past few years. Both times we took the Smokey Hollow version but by mistake. I really want to do the real Smokey Hollow sometime. I understand the Kelly Grade is pretty neat.

What was wrong with the water crossing? Too much water or too deeply washed out or too muddy?
There was a lot of rain previous days and the second crossing I thought was way too big for me since I was solo. It looked like a river. The first one outside of Big Water was pretty big too, but there was a pickup with a boat and trailer on the other side, so I tried it. It was shallow and the bottom was firm.

The mud was dried enough that it was no problem and the sand was actually fairly firm from the moisture. Probably perfect for my ride. But I had no tracks for the Hollow Rd and there were hardly any tire marks in the wash. So I was often worried that I might have missed the road climbing out of the wash. But just as I was about to turn around, I'd see jeep tracks climbing out.

Probably the hardest part were some of the washouts, that left step-ups and step-downs through the rocks. I flopped on one of them. After awhile my anxiety diminished and I was able to enjoy the last hour of the wash and the rest of the run to Escalante.

It's pretty wild through there, though. One really should have a small group to help eachother if something happened.

The junction with Smokey Mountain Rd after climbing out of the wash:

I manufactured my tracks on my laptop and then rode them. But I forgot to turn on the active log...shame on me.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #280
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I manufactured my tracks on my laptop and then rode them. But I forgot to turn on the active log...shame on me.
Yes to adding to GWT options but SHAME SHAME on you. Do you have Active Log set to different color than tracks you are following? Just a few miles out and you see no whatever color behind you.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #281
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Yes to adding to GWT options but SHAME SHAME on you. Do you have Active Log set to different color than tracks you are following? Just a few miles out and you see no whatever color behind you.
Gee, that makes sense. Dang! ...I'll get better with more practice.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #282
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I have posted Active Log tracks for Smokey Mtn road on both dualsportmaps and GPSXchange. The tracks are under 4 Corners Loop from about a year ago. I also posted them for our Desert Loop Death Valley ride from about 2.5 years ago in both places.

They have the Smokey Hollow option. I am sure dualsportmaps also has tracks for the non-Hollow option in the south. I think BigDog's GWT tracks have this section.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #283
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Gee, that makes sense. Dang! ...I'll get better with more practice.
You can't beleve how much I know (read that as do you have any idea how many mistakes I have made?).

I will look for Smokey tracks.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #284
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Page-Escalante

I found lots of options from a friend who just rode all of it.

What is recomended for GWT? one way or options
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Page-Escalante.gpx (995.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #285
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

We did the section from the junction of 160 and 89 west of Tuba City up to Kanab last week. We chose to do the version west of 89 along the rim of the Grand Canyon. The AZ Benchmark map show this as being part of the Great Western Trail

I think we were following Crawdaddy's tracks in that area. We only went to one overlook. We had a little problem with the tracks about 17 miles north of 89. The track took us into the yard of a ranch house and then down a steep rocky hill. Then there was no road where the tracks said there was. The originators may have ridden in a sand wash.

Anyway we found an easier way around this. But after we got back I heard from the group doing the AZBDR that they rode this section the next day and got stopped by the Navajo Police looking for some motorcyclists who had caused some trouble the day before.

That group had gotten permits to ride on Navajo dirt roads. I knew about the permits but blew it off.

This was a great ride with spectacular scenery and some nice challenging roads getting up to Jacob Lake.

I had intended to explore the area north of 89 in the Seaman canyon area, but it was late and we skipped it. I wanted to see if a group could get thru where Jerry had to turn around.

After Kanab we went down to Toroweap and then into Mesquite by the pretty challenging southern route. We found some great riding in the Alamo NV area. We then crossed Utah and southwestern CO and then back home to NM.

I have posted our tracks on GPSXchange and will put them on DualSPortMaps.com soon.