Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #9316
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
The only Touratech item i've bought yet is the 35L tank bag system. It has a 15L tankbag and 2 10L tank panniers that attach to a base plate. The theoretical engineering is pretty impressive. The panniers hold more and are shaped better than the other ones i've seen (Aerostich or Wolfman). The main problem i ran into is that an impact on the bags usually seems to destroy a zipper (which make the system more convenient than strapped ones otherwise) and leads to a pricey replacement. The main tank bag is very nice with a large, detachable map window, zipper to expand or contract to 15L capacity, and backpack straps for off the cycle.

It is an expensive system and although generally pleased with the design, i feel justified in airing some complaints based on the snarky response i got when i emailed their customer service department. The base plate covers up the oil chamber and ends up wearing off the decals on the fairing. I was fine with these items, but when i parked outside for a half year the base plate went from a black color to a faded purple and the velcro degraded to the point where i could no longer ride with just the map window and no tank bag, an advertised feature that would have been handy a few times if it hadn't turned out to be an engineering failure. The Touratech customer service rep advised to be content with all the 'road warrior cred' i would get for having a weather faded accessory on my ride, but i never botherd to point out how much of a poser i would look like to have a black tank bag zipped to a faded baseplate. I get the idea, backed up by most of what i've read here, that the TT folks don't actually get out that much to test their equipment...?

Regardless, if you don't mind the hassle of loosening the base plate to check oil, or find a deal on a used one, the TT tankbag is pretty nice.
Hey, I had that bag too and experienced the exact same thing; base faded, but the bag and panniers did not.
All zippers went belly up during my Australia trip and I snapped one of the pannier bottom straps. Like I've mentioned before; dental floss and a needle really comes in handy for all kinds of repairs and everything was sewn back on which meant I could only remove one of the panniers after a while. I found a couple of Life Venture waterproof roll up bags to use as inner bags and if I didn't know any better I'd think they were made for the panniers - made them 100% waterproof and easy to pack of the bike and just slip in there right before take off. I used the tank bag a lot without the panniers back home both before after the trip and knowing what I know now, I'd order another bag/ pannier (VP45 I believe it's called) before a new long trip and use camping sleeping matress and aknife to create dividers and rooms so it was a bit easier to stay organized on the road.

Just a picture to show the faded base with map sans the bag, but with panniers

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #9317
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
That picture is just so filthy I'm about to have an accident

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #9318
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Bike is looking good. Like the dash/switch/mirror setup!

Bags not bad either.
That's ages ago and the dash has been reworked. The whole front actually.

The three button control is the remote for the IMO computer which keeps me occupied with its 12 pages of relevant information on those longer hauls.

The mirror extensions were born from necessity. Mirrors would be too far back twhen standing up so my for arms would bang into them all the time. I've angled them out now which looks a bit better and don't really notice them anymore. I was thinking about the HDB guards with mirrors, but I'm wide as it is splitlaning in and out of Oslo every day so I opted against those in the end.

The GPS RAM mount was ok when just touring asphalt, but with gravel and washboard the whole thing would shake violently and move up 2 inches so I had to go back to a standard U bolt RAM mount on the handlebars.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #9319
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I used the tank bag a lot without the panniers back home both before after the trip and knowing what I know now, I'd order another bag/ pannier (VP45 I believe it's called) before a new long trip and use camping sleeping matress and aknife to create dividers and rooms so it was a bit easier to stay organized on the road.
You're right, it is a VP45 and i misstated that the tank bag is 15L- it will actually hold 25 with the expansion zipper undone. The design of the bag works very well IMO, staying centered when fully expanded, zipped and full, or even empty, compressing down enough to lay on the faux tank while zooming on the superslab. It has never felt in the way, except when the side pockets are full they will hit the starter or horn with the bars fully turned, best to keep a few small things in them. The map window is nice and big and stood up to a fair amount of use so far.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #9320
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
That's ages ago and the dash has been reworked. The whole front actually.

The three button control is the remote for the IMO computer which keeps me occupied with its 12 pages of relevant information on those longer hauls.

The mirror extensions were born from necessity. Mirrors would be too far back twhen standing up so my for arms would bang into them all the time. I've angled them out now which looks a bit better and don't really notice them anymore. I was thinking about the HDB guards with mirrors, but I'm wide as it is splitlaning in and out of Oslo every day so I opted against those in the end.

The GPS RAM mount was ok when just touring asphalt, but with gravel and washboard the whole thing would shake violently and move up 2 inches so I had to go back to a standard U bolt RAM mount on the handlebars.
Shows how far behind the posts I am... My bike only changes after something breaks off these days.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #9321
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Garmin Montana Mounting?

Looking to get a Garmin Montana but want to mount it above the guages and behind the windscreen. Anyone have theirs mounted this way and if so how? It looks like the screen screws may/may not be fixed stable enough to support. Thoughts? I have ram mounts for my Rhino now on the bars
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #9322
Nib
NIb

Oddometer: 28
Pretty sure I have the Dakar Manual on PDF at home - send me your e-mail and I will send it over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post
I just picked up an 05 650 Dakar and am in need of an owners manual. I tried looking online for one to download but no luck finding anything for this "old" of a bike. I'd be happy with photo copies of a manual at this point, pdf would be fantastic though.

Is there a specific starting procedure for this bike? When cold it takes 3 tries for the bike to start, I thought that was odd for a fuel injected bike?

And lastly i'm looking for some stock hand guards, if anyone has a set left over from an upgrade i'd be interested.

Thanks!

NOVA Tag-O-Rama
Nib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #9323
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Looking to get a Garmin Montana but want to mount it above the guages and behind the windscreen. Anyone have theirs mounted this way and if so how? It looks like the screen screws may/may not be fixed stable enough to support. Thoughts? I have ram mounts for my Rhino now on the bars
Do a search in this thread if you have not yet- seems to me someone did that using those two mounting holes. I believe they made a bracket to hold a ram ball???
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #9324
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
My GPS mount:

Just replaced it with a RAM ball mount and GPS cradle, holds up just fine. I'm currently riding the snot out of my GS at the Shenny 500, I've bent both hand guards and cracked a hole in the bash plate, but my Garmin is fine.

I'm so lazy I couldn't be bothered to get off the toilet, so I sent this from my iPad using Tapatalk.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #9325
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Ode to Kubiak

So I can't beat the look of Kubiak's KTM 950 SM front fender so I joined him. Must say I like.

And this is my dash as it is now.

Of course I had to personalize my GPS greeting.....
Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #9326
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
So I can't beat the look of Kubiak's KTM 950 SM front fender so I joined him. Must say I like.

And this is my dash as it is now.

Of course I had to personalize my GPS greeting.....
everything looks great including the front fender!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #9327
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Does that fender provide better cover than the stock beak? Is it cheaper? (from KTM?!)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #9328
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Went riding yesterday, first time I did a roadbook trip.
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 AM   #9329
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Does that fender provide better cover than the stock beak? Is it cheaper? (from KTM?!)
So far it's better than just a beak, which was basically useless, not cheap $90 shipped but the first one I tried seemed to cover the radiator and had no venting. This is smaller, less floppy and just looks better.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #9330
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 691
Just picked up a Wolfman Express tank bag and it's perfect.
Four strap mount and is a flat design, not larger at the rear.
I have it mounted at the front of the tank and it's not in my way at all when standing. Plenty of space for a camera and is zipper expandable.
My only complaint is that the map area is just a little too narrow for a Bulter sized map. They sell a larger map holder that I'll probably get.
Highly recommended.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote