Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #151
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 290
Not that there is much difference, but I have ridden both the xt225 and the crf230l. And I like the 230l better it feels smoother (clutch, shifting, etc) and a bit more refined on the street. Also better build quality. But I like the height of the slightly taller xt. I also think the build quaility is lacking on the xt's(225) especially the newer ones up until when they quit making them compared to the xt's made in the 90's. The wheels in particular are poor quality. imo
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #152
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by microdoc View Post
Nice setup, ADVNCW. Who makes your horseshoe duffle? Looks to be just the right size.
Sorry I just saw this. That is a Giant Loop Great Basin.

Since I bought my 230L in May, with 900 miles on it, I have put 6000 trouble-free miles on it riding mountain singletrack, gravel roads, the WABDR, two trips across the state of WA. I wore out tires, chain (sand from riding Pacific beaches ...) and brake pads. About a total with gear of $5k invested for a nice adventure setup!

I have been traveling on the 230L Adventure for the past two weeks. The Seat Concepts seat and 1 7/8 inch handlebar risers make an acceptable fit for my 6' 1" 230 lb carcass. The TCI windshield adds comfort, even on gravel roads, knocks down the wind turbulence against chest and belly, deflects bugs etc. I trail ride the TCI windshield, ok as long as one has a full face helmet since I occasionally whack the chin area of the helmet on the windshield...and I do not ride 'hard' with a windshield on trails.

Sweet ride, just a bit of a 'dog' I admit above 50 MPH on the highway...but, hey so excellent on any kind of dirt. I ride my setup loaded on singletrack. This past week, I turned the loaded 230L Adventure around on singletrack by rocking the front wheel up the high side of the USFS mountain-singletrack. Try that with a big motorcycle. I have ridden since 1970 including 44 states and AK to Mexico on a two-stroke 750, had an IT490 I enjoyed. I believe that the power characteristics of the 230L are an advantage for ease and control on gravel road riding. With a high-performance (thrilling) motorcycle, one roosts, fishtails, accelerates, grabs the brakes- all fun, but more tiring. On the 230L I flow at a good speed over gravel roads, not much wheel spinning, no hard accelerate-decelerate. I have decided that the low, smooth power, but just enough, of the 230L is an advantage- and I think my traveling speed on gravel roads is as fast as any and faster than a lot of guys riding big bikes on gravel, with effort...

My home area has over 50,000 acres of the local Forest on fire. The smoke that blocked out the sun and dropped ash in our valley made me ill so I was a 'smoke refugee' for two weeks. I went to a smoke free area of the Cascades, rode singletrack and Jeep trails and highway, mountains to ocean and back a few times. Camped and hoteled. Again I rode the Pacific beaches open for driving- fun!

This trip I was in Mt Rainier NP, far between gas pumps, so my wife and daughter joined me and brought my 1.5 gal Kolpin gas tank. With that I get well over 250 mile range!

Gas mileage is another huge plus. I get 73 MPG just normal riding including gravel/ easy dirt. When I pin the 230L Adventure at 60 to 65 MPH for 70+ miles the gas mileage suffers down into the 63-67 MPG range.When I consider another motorcycle to use to travel on gravel/ dirt, I think of the extra gas needed to be carried and also of how easy it is on my CRF230L Adventure, loaded, to stop, turn around, ride any terrain....less fatigue riding dirt and gravel!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 11:30 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #153
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Cool report

Nice post ADVNCW! What tires do you run? Stock?
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #154
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Nice post ADVNCW! What tires do you run? Stock?
Stock Trailwings in the photo above. Before riding the WABDR I got D606 front and rear. Rear D606 is fantastic. Front was real busy in gravel, when new, settled down with wear- however the D606 sticks to gravel, dirt, rock, asphalt. I like the D606 especially in the rear, somewhere on this forum I read of claims of the best ever front tire for gravel that I would try next time on front.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #155
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I have been searching for a used cfr230l in New Hampshire, any one know of any leftovers in the US?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #156
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Boston rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I have been searching for a used cfr230l in New Hampshire, any one know of any leftovers in the US?
Thanks
HI Tom. I just picked up a CRF230L, 2009, used. Was looking around a lot and bought it in Albany.
Here is a cycletrader link: http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...230L-106347225

For that price point, consider this bike as well:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...erpa-105829894

The Super Sherpas are terrific bikes. Reliable, air cooled, stronger motor, light (282 lbs wet) and very rugged. They are hard to find.

Good luck!
Dani
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #157
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Thanks
In April the Honda dealer in Hendersonville NC (? Schroeder's) had a 7 or 9 '09's in crates. They have a website, might check it out.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #158
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, Dani and PMR. I will review and post results. I have not owned a Honda in all the years that I have been riding.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #159
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

The NC dealers wants 4400 for the bike. It listed @4495 when new, I have a note into the State College shop with no response, he wants 3800 and no response. My old home dealer doesn't have any.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #160
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

New CRF

Tom, why buy new? I picked up my used 2009 in decent condition for $2300...that's a big difference
Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #161
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Dan
Any sources on used?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #162
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Not too many at this point

I know of a guy selling a 2009 that is in decent condition for $2750 firm. It has a rear rack, but if not in new condition. There is one advertised in Hingham, MA for $3350 that looks to be in new condition with rear rack. I think that is a little on the high side, but maybe negotiable. I know he has been trying to sell for well over a month.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #163
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. I will review.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #164
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
i thought i would post somethig here since it just popped up on radar. i bought me 09 in 2010 new. this was my first bike. and has been great. just enough power to get my big butt around and not enough power to get me in trouble i am 6 feet tall 200 lbs and at first for a new rider this bike was great. but after a couple months of riding i out grew it quick. the bike now has 4500 miles on it 75% if it all single track trail. and the rest some pavement. gravel service roads. i have done the desert 100 race here in washington state and had the bike wide open in 3rd gear, one good feeling i had was half way through i was passing guys on big 450s and 530 ktms, its not always about the bike. i am supprised she has not blown or had any power loss from day one. she is ticking just has hard as the day i bought brand new. only thing i have done is regular oil changes a few new sets of tires skid plate bash guards and changed the rear sprocket to a 48 tooth. only thing i need now is a new 500 ktm exc. just to warn u guys dont ride one unless u want to spend 10,000 dollars. because i made the mistake of riding one and i dont want anything else.

just my input. if u have any questions please feel free to ask
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #165
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

I brought the 230L from Hingham Ma.
II just read the entire file on the bike. My wife is not happy as this Honda will be garaged with my other three . I'm 64 and will ride it around NH