ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #5461
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I wasn't only referring to routes.

I am thinking more about the dozens and dozens of glitches included with each GPSr firmware update, and an absolute lack of useful functions/controls with their PC/MAC software. It's almost as if none of Garmins engineers actually use their own products.

Of course, that is just my opinion.
I agree 100%. Having worked in telecom and other high tech industries it amazes me how really piss poor Garmin software is.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #5462
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Perhaps the answer is obvious, but this is stumping me.

Anybody actually want to answer my question?
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #5463
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Ahh, guess i need to e-mail the support team. Hit them up for more then 50 via points again as well.
Please do, it's a BIG problem! As it is now I need to split a days route into four or more pieces...

I'll send them a mail again to.
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #5464
AugustFalcon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
... but Garmin deliberately programmed BaseCramp to be incompatible with *.GPX files created by any other software title, so if I want to use the very advanced editing capabilities of TopoFusion, I can forget importing into BaseCramp after.
Perhaps if TopoFusion and other folks actually wrote their GPX files to more strictly adhere to the published standard there would be fewer problems reading them in BaseCamp.

The Garmin BaseCamp team is looking into relaxing their input code so tht it will not so strictly enforce the published standards.

You might also try running the non-standards compliant code through something like GPSBabel to rewrite it to the published standard before importing it into BaseCamp.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #5465
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Anybody actually want to answer my question?
The issue you have is that the Montana is trying to route you but it still has data from a previous map set. The Montana does not support using Route data from a map set that is not equivalent to the one on the unit.

You WILL need to recalculate your old Routes using the same map version in BaseCamp as the one on the Montana. I repeat, you will need to RECALCULATE your Routes - NOT recreate them. And yes, you will want to check your recalculated routes to make sure that they are now taking the same path as before.

If you want to use Routing this is the price you pay. I don't think Garmin is going to change that condition.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #5466
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Perhaps if TopoFusion and other folks actually wrote their GPX files to more strictly adhere to the published standard there would be fewer problems reading them in BaseCamp.
I absolutely agree. I spend way to much time "fixing" GPX data from these great applications to enable it in the "STANDARDS" world of Garmin. Don't forget, this community was one of the loudest when it came to Garmin getting onboard with the GPX standard. I for one am glad they did.

My only request of BaseCamp with respect to GPX compliance is that the program give me the line # that failed so I don't have to retest the file in my XML editor to find it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #5467
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I absolutely agree. I spend way to much time "fixing" GPX data from these great applications to enable it in the "STANDARDS" world of Garmin. Don't forget, this community was one of the loudest when it came to Garmin getting onboard with the GPX standard. I for one am glad they did.

My only request of BaseCamp with respect to GPX compliance is that the program give me the line # that failed so I don't have to retest the file in my XML editor to find it.

Cheers,
OK, I can try this.

Which XML editor do you test GPX files with?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #5468
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
OK, I can try this.

Which XML editor do you test GPX files with?
First thing I do is run bad files through XML Validator

Then for GPX specific issues (and other XML stuff) I use XMLmind's XML Editor Professional Edition on my Mac.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #5469
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:

Then for GPX specific issues (and other XML stuff) I use XMLmind's XML Editor Professional Edition on my Mac.

Cheers,
Thank You!

Now I can't wait to get home this evening and test some GPX files...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #5470
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I repeat, you will need to RECALCULATE your Routes - NOT recreate them. .

Cheers,
A VERY important distinction!

So, further experimentation has revealed that all issues with Recent finds went away after clearing the cache. (See original post)

I have gone over about 25 routes in Basecamp that I use often, merely changing the activity to direct and back to automobile, then back to direct for transfer to the unit, while CNNA 2013.2 is selected as the map. They all appear to work correctly, although I haven't ridden them yet. When selected on the unit with 2013.2 as the selected map, they show as a direct route, after few seconds the route disappears and comes back as an along road route.

As I go through all my routes, some of which have not been used for years, I will have to clean up other stuff, such as having WAY more than 50 viapoints, if I want to use them on the Montana. The problem with this is I have many old routes created for the Etrex or 76C the old fashioned way, with lots of waypoints to approximate the route. Since I still USE the 76C on my dirtbike with just the 100K topo or a non-routable state map, I'm not sure I want to change all of these. So I will most likely end up with the old routes in Mapsource for the 76C and the newer ones using CNNA in Basecamp, saving the possibility of recalculating an old route that is NOT intended for the Montana thus rendering it useless on the 76C.

I use the F650GS almost 100% on the pavement and the TW200 almost 99% in the dirt, so this may work fine.

Life just seems to get more complex the older you get......
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #5471
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:

Have you used TopoFusion?
Windows only don't these guys know OS X rules

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #5472
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
As I go through all my routes, some of which have not been used for years, I will have to clean up other stuff, such as having WAY more than 50 viapoints, if I want to use them on the Montana. The problem with this is I have many old routes created for the Etrex or 76C the old fashioned way, with lots of waypoints to approximate the route. Since I still USE the 76C on my dirtbike with just the 100K topo or a non-routable state map, I'm not sure I want to change all of these. So I will most likely end up with the old routes in Mapsource for the 76C and the newer ones using CNNA in Basecamp, saving the possibility of recalculating an old route that is NOT intended for the Montana thus rendering it useless on the 76C.

I use the F650GS almost 100% on the pavement and the TW200 almost 99% in the dirt, so this may work fine.

Life just seems to get more complex the older you get......
You might consider making a copy of each route, performing the recalculation for the current mapping, and appending the name with something like [CN2013.20] or [Montana] and [eTrex], and store them in separate folders in BaseCamp...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #5473
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You might consider making a copy of each route, performing the recalculation for the current mapping, and appending the name with something like [CN2013.20] or [Montana] and [eTrex], and store them in separate folders in BaseCamp...
Now THAT is a GREAT idea!!!! What would I do without all you guys!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #5474
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:

Cheers,
So, the validator says some of my GPX files are in poor form....

What do I do now?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #5475
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I think some of the problem with existing routes is waypoint related...I've got dozens of routes that go back several versions of City Navigator..I always reload them in the latest CN and regenerate the route before loading on my Montana, but I've had several routes that give me the " maps don't match the route" message and a subsequent refusal to recalc. I'm too lazy to look at the GPX file and see if there is any version related info hooked to the waypoints that won't update unless you regenerate the waypoints in the same version of CN (on the GPS) that you have in Mapsoure or Base camp...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote