Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #3691
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 559
I was wondering, as I didn't seem to read this info in the RR, how much were the language schools in mexico and guatemala?
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #3692
stonecold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
Great ride report

http://www.hostelworld.com/
Just in case you don't already have it Ride safe and enjoy
Thanks I was not aware of that website.
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #3693
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
I was wondering, as I didn't seem to read this info in the RR, how much were the language schools in mexico and guatemala?
Had to look back .... Sorry I thought I posted it. Several factors about individual or small classroom. I did some of both.

I paid $40 per day for home stay with two meals and 6 hours of spanish lessons per day in Oaxaca so about $3.50 hour for spanish classes with mix of single and classroom with two others

Guatemala was one on one spanish and I paid $112 for 8 days 4 hours a day About $3.50 per hour

Cusco I paid 433 soles for 7 days of 4 hours a day. It is $ 6.00 per hour. But with just one other person. My Oaxaca school was the best as far as learning the Grammar and base spanish. Guatemala was more conversational.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #3694
Vinz Clortho
Keymaster of Gozer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?) View Post
great report Mark. I'm insanely jealous.

keep an eye out for the white Nacho vanagon. their report today says they're in Ollantaytambo near Machu Picchu as well. their Facebook seems to have the most current info. (http://www.drivenachodrive.com)
Holy gigantic friggin' picture Batman! I think you can see that from space!

2009 KLR 650
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #3695
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Cusco

Staying in Cusco for couple weeks, so that I can take some more spanish lessons, explore and relax and then see Machu Picchu. Always lots of things you have to figure out like where to buy your tickets for the sights. Like the "Boleto Turistico Del Cusco" and then entrance into Machu Picchu and the Huayna Picchu (big hill next to MP that has great photo ops!) but you have to pay more and reserve a spot.

Since there are many Gringo's in town.... the local pubs are great to meet some other traveler. I was at the Norton Rats Pub.

Signed the Motorcycle Guest book!

At the pub, I met "V" from NYC area. Had a great set of conversations about life. Great guy who had been here meeting friends after doing the Inca trail hike. We talked about Fate, Faith, Soul and God for part for the evening! Cheers!

In the background was Leo who is the "tour agency" at my hotel and a really nice guy who rides a motorcycle. He got me playing Darts.... Did not go well but the second game was closer

By the way..... I am now here on the South America Map. Still a long way to Ushuaia and lots to see along the way!

While waiting for Spanish class I was reading about the area, and all the statistics ..... Amazing learning about all these places that i am traveling in. of course it's not always good news.

I needed a couple parts for the Scottoiler that I am about to install, so they sent them to me at my hotel. was so glad they arrived!

The next day at my Spanish class we took some time to walk to the San Pedro Market and use some of the Spanish we are learning. Helping to reinforce new Vocabulary!

The Market is broken into Sections. Here are the Ladies and their breads!

Lots of cool displays of products to buy.

Fresh Olives!

Fresh Queso (Cheese)

Black corn, Grains and Potatoes

Meet David from my class of two He is a young guy from Denmark. We stopped to have a typical disk of Rice and Eggs. Was a busy place, and lunch was 2.5 Soles (or under $1.00)

Was tasty!

David and our teacher for the next week.

After Class David and his buddy Mathias and I decided to get our Tourist sightseeing ticket and walk up to see Saqsayhuaman which are Inca ruins high above the city. The name is pronounced very close to "Sexywoman"

Up we go!

We start to have a really good view of the city of Cusco.

Then we climb higher into the actual ruins....

The huge stones placed together to create the walls are really interesting.

And we get a great view down to Plaza de Armas

A picture with all of us. Really liked hanging out with these guys!

Wanted to get some photos so Mathias climbs up on a big rock, but quickly a guard is yelling at him!!

he had to get down quick...

and settle for more acceptable photos!

Amazing the size of the rocks and how they are fit together!

The cuts are extremely straight and sharp.

Wahoo! Had to get a Jump in! Fortunately David caught my jump on the first try ! we are over 11,000 feet!

HUGE area.... Just try to imagine the Inca building this.

Then I got to get a photo with the guys and a very pretty Peruvian woman who was doing some sort of photo shoot!

Next we walked up to the Blanco Cristo. Sort a smaller version of one in Rio de Janero

God is watching over these guys! They are here to work at an orphanage !

Just a small view of Saqsayhuaman that looks over the city!

Another night I get a PM from Kito. A british guy who is riding solo around South America (and many other parts of the world). We met for a beer at the pub to share stories and Celebrate his Birthday!! Cheers David. Safe riding!

Also Put my sticker in the Moto rider Book!

Some Big Road Rallye taking place, as the Plaza was full of cheering fans of the road race!

Next night had to stop at the Irish Pub.

Just some of what I have been up to in Cusco the past few days!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 09:38 AM
Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #3696
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,672
Mark!

Been watching/reading along. Looks like you manage to have a little fun wherever you go.

Corn - do the different colored corns have wildly different tastes, or is it more subtle, like honey from different regions?

Keep on jumpin!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #3697
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,445
Yeah, that's a great question. I wanna know too

Mark, something wrong with this, not sure wha....wait--it's right side up
Quote:
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #3698
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Hmm. All caught up already. Now what? Lol. Oh yes, I need to do all the stuff I neglected today as I got caught up on 25 pages of ride reports.

What a ride Mark, wow, what a ride!

Stay safe Mark, all the best!

Pete

Its better to travel well than to arrive.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OldPete2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #3699
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Wicked Entry Date for Brasil Visa Important =:-o

We've ridden a few miles since our last beer together in Cartagena Mark. See you found the Flying Dog in Miraflores.

When I got my Brasil visa a few years back they stamped the date when I applied instead of when it was granted a few weeks later. Two days before my flight I noticed I'd land one day late for entry. Delta nicely changed my flight a day earlier to Sao Paulo rather than Rio. Immigration said I was too late until I convinced them February only had 28 days. Whew! They almost turned my back at the Sao Paulo Airport!

Recently I flew to the USA for a few months and left my bike in Buenos Aires. Return October 28 and hope to ride with you again. BTW Argentina granted my bike 9 months so I could store it without funny business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Did not know this will check it out, and might have to make the run.

o*o screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 11:14 PM Reason: clarity
o*o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #3700
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post
Corn - do the different colored corns have wildly different tastes, or is it more subtle, like honey from different regions?
I do not know, but will ask my spanish teacher on Monday about these variety. I imagine they have different tastes and uses....

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #3701
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Cusco

Whenever you travel, part of the journey includes all the logistics. In a international Tourist area like Cusco, it is a full on process. As you walk down through Plaza De Armas you are hit up by the touts for everything from Travel agent Tours, Restaurants, Massages, money exchange, money, pictures with locally dressed people and their Llama's etc. It is the way it works, you have money and they want to get some of it while you are here.

Of course the big reason to be in Cusco is Machu Picchu and the sacred valley of the inca culture. People come from all over the world to see one of the Seven wonders. The challenge comes with trying to figure out how much time and money to spend to see this place. As a long term traveler you need to watch what you spend in a different way than if you were on a couple week vacation.

After arriving I started asking around, reading, googling and asking advice from other recent travelers. Slowly getting a grip on all that needs to happen to make the trip there. Another motorcycle couple (csustewy on ADV) are on there way over from Lima later this week, so we decided to travel together up to MP. Since I am here, it is best that I make the arrangements as you need to purchase tickets in Advance for the entrance to Machu Picchu and also Huayna Picchu which is the big hill next to MP that gives you amazing view back, but is extra and has limited space.

Finally got it figured out. Booked the tickets online and then needed to go to the INC tourist office and pay with 6 hours to confirm the reservation. It costs S152 ($60.00) per person.

It is a nondescript office down a slight side street. Leo who runs the tour agency at the hostal I am staying at helped me with this and got the address for me.

But was able to get this part of the Machu Picchu visit done. Tickets in hand!!

One of the useful sites I found was this one:
http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/...chu/index.html

Young James sent me a detailed description of how to ride to the Hydro Electric plan need Aguas Calientes and park our bikes. Supposed to be a beautiful ride up the valley ......

Still logistics on lodging in Agua Caliente, bus ticket, train ticket or walking from Hydro to Aguas to get worked out but know that this will be an amazing sight to see!

Sunday off to do my spanish homework, review all my gear and get rid of stuff as needed, read, write and walk about town.

Did also meet up with David from the UK last night for dinner and a couple beers!

Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #3702
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,474
the devil's always in the details

I recall the Peruvians as being fun, genuine, loving people.
Honest thanks for keeping us lurkers up to date.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #3703
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
I have started working on trying to figure out about boats to Antarctica, routes, last minute boats booking etc. It takes time to search the web, find helpful and informative people etc. But as I work at it and find the resources, I will share them for sure.
Great report, thanks for taking the time to tell us all about your travels.

Don't forget you could hop on/off an Antarctic ship here in the Falkland Islands. Leave your bike in Punta or Ushuia for example. Lan Chile flies here every Saturday from/to Punta Arenas, http://www.cruisetimetables.com/crui...d-islands.html

I could put you up and loan you my WR250R while you're here.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #3704
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 723
Radioman,

I have been following your journey since day-one with admiration and respect. Your travels are inspirational to say the least, and yours is one of the best ride reports ever posted on Adv!

I've spent some time in Cusco and the Sacred Valley, and I can say without any hesitetion that the "back route" is the best way to reach Machu Picchu. Sure, trains can deliver you to Aguas Calientes quickly, and then you have an easy walk to the busses that take you to the entrance to MP.

My Recommendion:

From Cusco, ride to the Salt Pans of Maras (only 2 hrs, and absolutely amazing). From Maras, down the hill to Urumbamba. If you spend half the day being in awe of the thousand-year-old salt farming heratage (as I was) you can stay in Urumbamba. I stayed in a 5 Star resort there for $35.

From there, you can cross the awesome Abra de Malaga pass at 14K+ ft, make a left turn in Santa Maria, and ride to Santa Teresa (an incredible village where a mountain slide killed 60% of the town population), and store your bike there. Local cabs will take you to Hydro Electrica where it is a quick train ride to the base of Machu Picchu, Aguas Callientes.

Last year there was no extra charge for the ticket to Hyannas Picchu; it is allocated based on when you arrive at the trailhead and make your request. Due to the treacherous hike, only a limited number of hikers are permitted to attempt the climb each day. More tourists die here than nearly anyplace else in South America. Trust me, it is a sketchy hike at best, but the views are worth it if you are not surrounded by mist.

After Machu Picchu, I highly recommend the 3 hour ride to Quillabamba, a wonderful jungle village to enjoy the great food, friendly locals, and reflect on your trip to Machu Picchu.

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo

poolman screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 05:39 AM
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #3705
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
Don't forget you could hop on/off an Antarctic ship here in the Falkland Islands. Leave your bike in Punta or Ushuia for example. Lan Chile flies here every Saturday from/to Punta Arenas, http://www.cruisetimetables.com/crui...d-islands.html

I could put you up and loan you my WR250R while you're here.
Thanks for the offer. I will check into these possibilities!