Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #4966
davidgibson999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Iron is correct. You'll need to float the ground on the stator and add a DC regulator. I did it when I got my 200w stator from rickystator. Easy to do, and RS will walk you through it. I've got a cig outlet tucked up behind my headlight and I just plug my 76cx in whenever its on the bike. I kept frying the small NiMH batteries so I put a small lead acid where the AC rectifier used to be under the gas tank.
Thanks- seems quite complicated so I'll probably buy a power pack that can charge the zumo via USB during stops etc...
davidgibson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #4967
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 216
Ok All the 440 guys out there....

I need carb jetting suggestions for my 11:1 compression Wiseco 440cc big bore kit with a Hot Cam's stage 3 cam. I'm going to put a Mikuni flat slide TM38-85 mostly because I already have one. Stock pilot is a 22.5, Main is a 230 and I have a bunch of Mikuni jets from years of two stroke road racing. I mostly just need a possible beginning point to get the bike started. Anyone out there running a 36 or 38mm pumper carb know what their jetting is ? I have the Sudco catalog which helps a bit but I need some friendly advice from those in the know. I'm at sea level but anyone's info with their altitude will help me find a ball park starting point.

Thanks guys, talk soon, Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #4968
GgnTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Wont start

Back with a noob question after a long time...

My XR has not been ridden or started for nearly three months since it got trucked back from a Himalayas ride. In preparation for riding, I went today to change oil, oil filter, air filter, etc.

I found there was no oil upon opening up the drain plug at the front down tube. I knew the shipper had drained fuel, but no oil was a surprise. I suppose if the drain lets out no oil, there IS no oil, right?

So I topped up new oil, put in a new oil filter, newly oiled Uni air filter, fuel....and gave it a good try starting. Did the whole choke/de-compress/prime/kick routine. Gave up after 50-70 kicks and a liter of sweat. Not a sound though...nothing.

Is there anything particular I have to do? Or just go another 100 kicks?
Used to always start in 1-3 kicks earlier.

'04 Honda XR 400 | '08 Royal Enfield 500

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GgnTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #4969
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by GgnTrails View Post
Back with a noob question after a long time...

My XR has not been ridden or started for nearly three months since it got trucked back from a Himalayas ride. In preparation for riding, I went today to change oil, oil filter, air filter, etc.

I found there was no oil upon opening up the drain plug at the front down tube. I knew the shipper had drained fuel, but no oil was a surprise. I suppose if the drain lets out no oil, there IS no oil, right?

So I topped up new oil, put in a new oil filter, newly oiled Uni air filter, fuel....and gave it a good try starting. Did the whole choke/de-compress/prime/kick routine. Gave up after 50-70 kicks and a liter of sweat. Not a sound though...nothing.

Is there anything particular I have to do? Or just go another 100 kicks?
Used to always start in 1-3 kicks earlier.

After sitting for that long the oil from the frame may have drained back into the motor. If so, after that much kicking the oil should be pumped back up into the frame. Recheck the oil level in the frame. I'd bet it's overfilled now. But it's much better to be overfilled than empty.

Was the carb drained too? I'd at least drain it to make sure there's fresh gas in there.

I'd also check spark. It shouldn't be a problem at all, but would you rather find out now or after kicking it another 200 times?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #4970
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,360
I remember kicking mine for abt 100 times only to find out, I was kicking it on the exhaust stroke!

I then learned to listen for that little click when the valves hit TDC..then a good kick and it lights..but as Luke says, check to make sure you got spark first, and that means spark at the plug you have in the XR..you can have spark with another plug and the plug in the bike be a dead one..good luck
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #4971
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Dunno how your gas is out there in India but here in Cali if you leave gas in your carb for 3 months you can pretty much bet on plugging a pilot jet. Take apart the carb and clean the jets - make sure you can see light through them. Put new gas in the tank. I usually take my old gas and slowly add it into my bikes/lawnmowers/etc. Just a few ounces per tank to burn it off.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #4972
GgnTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks all. Unfortunately the weekend ran away from me, so next weekend.....
Will check spark plug and put the carb through a cleanup.

'04 Honda XR 400 | '08 Royal Enfield 500

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GgnTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #4973
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 865
Rode up near 8000 feet this weekend with the XR, bike was having trouble running right. I've discovered the noise the engine was making was an exhaust leak at the manifold, and was wondering if the sputtering at high altitude was a symptom of an exhaust leak, or just poor jetting for the situation? bike ran alright at speed, but in any of the slow stuff it didn't want to idle, and died a handful of times, usually luckily downhill.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #4974
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 624
Got the foe-hunded!

Like it a lot!

Very, very clean. The original owner had it from 96-05, then my buddy from 05-yesterday

The power, seat height, weight, low end power, and street ability are spot on. Got to get the 5min cold start fiasco down to 1-2 minutes and pump up the rear tire if I want to jump 18" longs and not get pinch flats

Working on the legal tag stuff now, but temporarily it will be an '11 Husqvarna 310 if somebody runs it

I only rode it 20mins or so, but it reminds me more of my 610 or 310 than it does an DR200, DR350, DRZ400 that I've had/rode. The torque is more 610ish and weight 310ish. The DRs were just uninspiring to me.

I have high hopes for it. Maybe when it's laid over I won't cuss it toooooo much kicking it on the side of a hill but as it stands, my 310 is not x4 the bike this is (like it cost ) at least at my noob riding ability level it's not.

Will have a better report after 100 miles on it Sunday have the spring/ rebuild for the front end and dual sport kit on standby if all goes well.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #4975
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Got the foe-hunded!

The power, seat height, weight, low end power, and street ability are spot on. Got to get the 5min cold start fiasco down to 1-2 minutes and pump up the rear tire if I want to jump 18" longs and not get pinch flats
Slap a pumper carb on there if you want the quick and easy route to 1 kick starts.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #4976
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

I'm trying to read this thread 15-20 pages a night as to not ask the same questions over and over....

But....

The pumper carb help with just cold? I think I'm more concerned about eating it on a hill and it taking forever to start up. If I pick it up fast, will it kick pretty easy? Or any fall over = kick kick kick ?

Got a 100mile ride Sunday. Guess Ill figure it out
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #4977
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
I'm trying to read this thread 15-20 pages a night as to not ask the same questions over and over....

But....

The pumper carb help with just cold? I think I'm more concerned about eating it on a hill and it taking forever to start up. If I pick it up fast, will it kick pretty easy? Or any fall over = kick kick kick ?

I seem to recall some of the pumper carbs had a "hot start" knob that you use when it's been dropped and maybe drooled some fuel into the intake and made it too rich to restart well....on a non pumper you hold the throttle wide open with compression release on and kick it thru a few times to pump mostly air into the cylinder to "clear it out"....then proceed with the appropriate start process

maybe there are some pumper carb folks out there with "real" experience in such matters that can chime in
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #4978
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Thanks a lot
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #4979
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 292
Quote:

But....

I've found that if I can get it back off the ground fast, it'll fire up with only one or two kicks, don't have to clear it. OTOH, if I let it sit there, then I'll have to clear it before trying to fire it off. Like you said...you'll figure it out. Wish I had mine running now, but I don't. Bah.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #4980
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Flooded is flooded. Another quick squirt of gas from a pumper carb when you go WOT isn't going to make it any harder to clear. Process is the same when you dump it. WOT, kick it a few times (with compression release if you have it), then start like normal.