Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #61
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
You fail to realize your mind is as closed as those whom you presume to enlighten.

You've made your position known. It's not gaining traction.
Quote:
Again, go lecture the driver who was so wrapped up in himself that he couldn't bear to share the road with courtesy.
You say I have a closed mind, I'm willing to listen to reason, enlighten me.

Whats the difference between someone who is so wrapped up in themselves that they use their vehicle to intimidate others and control their actions, and someone who so wrapped up in themselves they use their vehicle to cause injury or damage to punish them for their actions?

Do you guys really have that much trouble when you ride that it taints the experience for you, or are you just venting your spleen on line about something that happened and you haven't gotten over yet?
Wheres all the angst come from?

Like anyone else, I don't like being the victim of ignorance or stupidity, it's one thing to have an opinion about something here and another thing entirely to act on it in the real world.
Why cross that line? Whats the point of all of it all? Isn't riding supposed to be about the enjoyment it brings, not about what negativity you may encounter (or create) on rare occasions.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #62
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 125
Would like to add that I have been driving roads in much of BC for almost two months, after 5 years living overseas and ridden extensively in a total 5 different countries. Each the these 5 countries the traffic is considered mayhem to many. But what stands out about BC is the attitude of 'I'm in the front, I have all the rights'. Passing is some cases appears to be a brazen challenge to the person, and their perceived right, that is in front of you. Doesn't matter if it's a young man in a tricked up pick up or a mom in a mini van. I have covered plenty of miles on two wheels in central and south America, and Asia, and though Canadian's follow the rules of the road far better then any of these countries (Except Japan, but I've only been on 4 wheels there) - there is a very real attitude towards what's behind some drivers. It really stands out.

Though I'd have done the same as the OP.....

Just last night I was returning from a day fishing the Peace River, truck dude jumps a stop sign to do just as the OP's offending driver did on a similar sounding gravel road. I pulled to the side after a couple of km's of dust, and obviously being given no room to pass though we were driving at 65 km on a road where 90 would be kinda ok, to answer a couple of text messes, and said driver visually kicked in his after burners with me no longer invading his personal space behind him, And just like with adaptating to the driving/riding habits in other countries, you either make an issue of it or you learn to suck a little dust.
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #63
JOKER650 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

Whats the difference between someone who is so wrapped up in themselves that they use their vehicle to intimidate others and control their actions, and someone who so wrapped up in themselves they use their vehicle to cause injury or damage to punish them for their actions?

Do you guys really have that much trouble when you ride that it taints the experience for you, or are you just venting your spleen on line about something that happened and you haven't gotten over yet?

Like anyone else, I don't like being the victim of ignorance or stupidity, it's one thing to have an opinion about something here and another thing entirely to act on it in the real world.
Why cross that line? Whats the point of all of it all? Isn't riding supposed to be about the enjoyment it brings, not about what negativity you may encounter (or create) on rare occasions.

OMG.....What did ur Mumma do to U ??....

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #64
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 20,851
Quote:

I'm not the OP, I'm just talking to some guy on the internet who wants to lecture one guy and not call out the other idiot who has a hard time letting people pass, the kind of guy who wants to make everyone drive/ride as slow as he.

The guy in the Jeep was engaging in a battle of wills and ended up getting his jeep peppered for it. He could have just allowed a reasonable pass instead of forcing the issue.

Stop trying to be the hall monitor.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #65
revis
Winded

Oddometer: 12
I didn't read all the posts on the thread but in my opinion SEs look like "dirt bikes" to cages. I know becuase when I had one, cops around here were standing on their brakes looking at me as I passed to figure out if I was legal. I think all OHV riders should start taking personal responsibility for their actions all the time, even when no one is looking. Take a look around, the NFS has closed 2/3 of all dirt roads this year! The great mythical Single track will be a something we tell our grand kids about.
revis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #66
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
I agree that the jeeper was a jerk, he should have let the bike pass.
My biggest problem with the idea of damaging the jeepers vehicle is; you are in the bush, possibly no law for miles, he could be armed and even if not armed, do you have the skills to engage in a road warrior type duel with a pissed off jeeper? Think carefully. Like I said before, I spend a lot of time driving in the bush (for work) and people that purposely roost other vehicles when they pass them have been known to get fucked up by their victims. The severity varies.

Besides that, it seems kind of chickenshit to me to spitefully damage someones car in retaliation for being inconvenienced. Especially if you are sure that you won't be confronted by your victim. Yeah, chickenshit.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #67
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,438
I'd expect this thread from the US, but Canada?!

M
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #68
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:

The guy in the Jeep was engaging in a battle of wills and ended up getting his jeep peppered for it. He could have just allowed a reasonable pass instead of forcing the issue.

As we all know, there are three sides to every story, we have one so far, we need the Jeep guys story and somewhere in the middle is the truth.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #69
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,074
There is some dark corner of the brain that some people don't want to be passed. Deal with it daily. 50,000 miles a year on the road.. pull out to pass someone, they speed up. Pull back in behind them, they slow down. Repeatedly. Most don't even think about it, involuntary. You situation requires "shock and awe", just do it hard and fast. Sending out a hand written on parchment "may I?" is too much for most shitheads to grasp.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #70
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
I'm not the OP, I'm just talking to some guy on the internet who wants to lecture one guy and not call out the other idiot who has a hard time letting people pass, the kind of guy who wants to make everyone drive/ride as slow as he.
I understand you are just playing devils advocate for someone who lacks the cognisance to express themselves intelligently.
I agree.the jeep driver was being an ass, but it's kinda pointless to "call out" someone who isn't here, and don't forget, the OP asked for opinions about his actions. Beware of what you wish for...................
We may disagree on subjects such as recreational filtering/sharing where illegal, but in the real world I would never take any action to prevent, punish, or otherwise interfere with you from doing so, nor would I make any gesture or comment afterwards. As long as you cause me no injury or loss, I have no right to do so.
Fortunately these subjects are mostly academic, for the most part I am able to find a happy equilibrium in my riding environment, and have virtually no problems with being held up or holding up someone. On those rare occasions when they do come up, they seem to be easy to resolve without drama.

Quote:
Agreed, I too have no sympathy for people who can't handle the consequences of their bad decisions..............................If thats what really happened, situations like this are rarely one sided.

Quote:
Stop trying to be the hall monitor.
That tiny dot way up in the sky leaving a con trail..................thats my whole point.
No private individual has the right to take action against another for their driving/riding decisions.

FWIW, I am listening and learning from what you and others say, I may not agree, but it helps me appreciate how others feel and the actions they may expect or take.
This understanding of how things actually are with others is far more important to me than how I wish others would be, and helps me be a better rider.

Ride your own ride.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #71
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
As we all know, there are three sides to every story, we have one so far, we need the Jeep guys story and somewhere in the middle is the truth.
That's true.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #72
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
I understand you are just playing devils advocate for someone who lacks the cognisance to express themselves intelligently.
I agree.the jeep driver was being an ass, but it's kinda pointless to "call out" someone who isn't here, and don't forget, the OP asked for opinions about his actions. Beware of what you wish for...................
That's reasonable. But those nuances aren't conveyed in your posts.

Quote:
We may disagree on subjects such as recreational filtering/sharing where illegal, but in the real world I would never take any action to prevent, punish, or otherwise interfere with you from doing so, nor would I make any gesture or comment afterwards. As long as you cause me no injury or loss, I have no right to do so.
Can't ask for any more than that.

Quote:
Fortunately these subjects are mostly academic, for the most part I am able to find a happy equilibrium in my riding environment, and have virtually no problems with being held up or holding up someone. On those rare occasions when they do come up, they seem to be easy to resolve without drama.
I agree, if you're getting aggravated on a moto, you're doing something wrong.

Quote:
Agreed, I too have no sympathy for people who can't handle the consequences of their bad decisions..............................If thats what really happened, situations like this are rarely one sided.
I only believed him because I've seen it happen so much, but point taken.

Quote:
That tiny dot way up in the sky leaving a con trail..................thats my whole point.
No private individual has the right to take action against another for their driving/riding decisions.
hmm. I'll have to chew on that.

Quote:
FWIW, I am listening and learning from what you and others say, I may not agree, but it helps me appreciate how others feel and the actions they may expect or take.
That is really refreshing to hear.

Quote:
This understanding of how things actually are with others is far more important to me than how I wish others would be, and helps me be a better rider.

Ride your own ride.
Amen brother.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #73
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
If you intentionally sprayed rocks onto someones vehicle because he wouldn't let you pass, your an asshole. Didn't your mom ever teach you, "Two wrongs don't make a right?"
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #74
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
If you intentionally sprayed rocks onto someones vehicle because he wouldn't let you pass, your an asshole. Didn't your mom ever teach you, "Two wrongs don't make a right?"
I was taught to treat others the way I wish to be treated.

Conversely, if they are acting like an asshole they must want to be treated like an asshole.

So being the accommodating person that I am, I oblige.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #75
JOKER650 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'd expect this thread from the US, but Canada?!

M
Oh Yeah man... We are dicks up here also

"the OP asked for opinions about his actions. Beware of what you wish for..................."

I agree, there are 3 sides to every story, and I asked for opinions.It's all good man
When someone looks at you in their rear view a few times....it's pretty easy to tell if they are looking at you.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/

JOKER650 screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 09:43 PM
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote