ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #5926
benno.h
cageracer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brisneyland, Arse-Trailer.
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Does the stock speedo unit still work? I am after one for my resto.

The one that I have is buggered.


Not sure mate - it stopped working last year when I was up your way ;-)

I think it was probably the cable. I have gutted the old one to remove the light bulb holders and warning lights but I'm happy to send you the left over bits if you want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I'll step out on a limb here and state that bikes without kick starters are just plain gay, for pansies, ladyboys, and suchlike. Furthermore, they should have to ride at the back, not speak until spoken too, and set everyone else's tents up, then cook and wash up afterwards, before sitting up all night guarding the real men's bikes.
benno.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #5927
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: waikato gravel and sand
Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Yank View Post
New problem, just started to act up. I don't have a temp gauge but it could be only when it gets hotter as it doesn't seem to do it when it is cold.
has it still got the original stock choke plate?
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #5928
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
watch out with milling down stems..
Heeded. Happen to know what the sitchvis with that stem? I have a few thou pretty hard miles on mine.....
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #5929
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
watch out with milling down stems..
FUG! That could leave a mark!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #5930
benno.h
cageracer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brisneyland, Arse-Trailer.
Oddometer: 437







FINALLY got the bloody dash finished off, bolted up the few remaining parts and went for my first ride in about 12 months! I can't believe it's been that long! Unfortunately it was only a quick ride on tarmac but fun nonetheless.

Unfortunately I'll be away for most of the next month or so, but hopefully sometime after that I'll get out for a decent ride.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I'll step out on a limb here and state that bikes without kick starters are just plain gay, for pansies, ladyboys, and suchlike. Furthermore, they should have to ride at the back, not speak until spoken too, and set everyone else's tents up, then cook and wash up afterwards, before sitting up all night guarding the real men's bikes.
benno.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #5931
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Heeded. Happen to know what the sitchvis with that stem? I have a few thou pretty hard miles on mine.....
he used a KTM stem and milled it down to fit the fork in the cr250. Went to Germany for a supermotoweekend (training, erzgebirg), after a few table jumps it broke..

I'm not saying it cant be done but you should know what you are doing. moreso with aluminium stems.
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #5932
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: MILLJURAH Vic. Aus
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
has it still got the original stock choke plate?
not positive but I assume so.
I did think of one thing, I put the baffle back in the muffler, would that screw with the mid-range?
Mike the Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #5933
JAB
Unsprung Weight
 
JAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beautiful Monrovia
Oddometer: 1,236
Putting the baffle back could make it run richer.
I had a similar issue. Start up and off idle, fine.
WOT, fine. Would blubber and stumble at certain points mid throttle. Chased it around with main jets with little change. Dropped the needle 1 or 2 notches (can't remember) and it cleaned up.
Might be worth a try.
__________________
1991 Honda XR628R
1978 Yamaha XT500
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #5934
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: MILLJURAH Vic. Aus
Oddometer: 353
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Putting the baffle back could make it run richer.
I had a similar issue. Start up and off idle, fine.
WOT, fine. Would blubber and stumble at certain points mid throttle. Chased it around with main jets with little change. Dropped the needle 1 or 2 notches (can't remember) and it cleaned up.
Might be worth a try.
Thanks, I can do that. I completely forgot about the baffle.
Sounds like the same thing, starting better than ever, take off is good, full throttle good, just when cruising along in the lower gears.
__________________
It's a lot easier to apologise than to ask permission
Mike the Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #5935
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by benno.h View Post
Not sure mate - it stopped working last year when I was up your way ;-)

I think it was probably the cable. I have gutted the old one to remove the light bulb holders and warning lights but I'm happy to send you the left over bits if you want.

PM Sent.
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #5936
JAB
Unsprung Weight
 
JAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beautiful Monrovia
Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Yank View Post
Thanks, I can do that. I completely forgot about the baffle.
Sounds like the same thing, starting better than ever, take off is good, full throttle good, just when cruising along in the lower gears.
And....Like Dino mentioned, check/replace that choke plate once you have it opened up.
__________________
1991 Honda XR628R
1978 Yamaha XT500
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #5937
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809

i dug up a old pick of my 89 xr600 with rear disc conversion,usd forks,aloop tank,sm wheels and dual stock mufflers.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #5938
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,150
alright dudes!

finally got my stator, geeze

so I got the rikcy installed and followed their instructions

I got a green to to the frame...

yellow white to harness and red black to the harness/cdi

however in doing this, it leaves me with a disconnected regulator? whats missiing here?

regulator has green and white yellow...however I dont see how to connect these together

Am I supposed to have one green from the regulator go to the frame as well as the green from the ricky?

please help, as Im about to start this again

well at least I can see if I can get it to start with just the red and black and ground...

Ill keep you guys posted

thanks

SHE LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEES BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

IM BACK!

now who can set me straight on the wiring for the regulator? so I can have some lights?

thanks

elsalvadorklr screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 03:24 PM
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #5939
JAB
Unsprung Weight
 
JAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beautiful Monrovia
Oddometer: 1,236
Tape a flashlight to the bars and go ride! Congrats.
__________________
1991 Honda XR628R
1978 Yamaha XT500
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #5940
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
alright dudes!

finally got my stator, geeze

so I got the rikcy installed and followed their instructions

I got a green to to the frame...

yellow white to harness and red black to the harness/cdi

however in doing this, it leaves me with a disconnected regulator? whats missiing here?

regulator has green and white yellow...however I dont see how to connect these together

Am I supposed to have one green from the regulator go to the frame as well as the green from the ricky?

please help, as Im about to start this again

well at least I can see if I can get it to start with just the red and black and ground...

Ill keep you guys posted

thanks

SHE LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEES BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

IM BACK!

now who can set me straight on the wiring for the regulator? so I can have some lights?

thanks

It's about freeking time.

I think you have a spare leg that you don't use.

Here ya go: http://www.rickystator.com/04technic...ll_inst01.html

Looks like both greens join together to ground. Bottom right diagram.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014