Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 824
In five years in Mexico, never been asked for my DL by anyone other than the Banjercito while getting a TVIP. My wife did get pulled over by a MC traffic cop in Hermosillo. The DL was only used as a device to obscure the mordida being handed over. The DL was handed right back less the 20 peso note.

I suggest following the advice on reporting your DL lost and getting a replacement issued. Failing that, just make a really good copy of both sides and laminate it. You can also find fake DL's on the web but they might cost more than a real 2nd license.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
I did decide to get one prior to departing for my ride down south. Didn't think I would need it, but thought that if I actually had to hand over some kind of documentation to some crooked cop, that's my go to.... Thought about not getting it, but went ahead anyway... Am I better off with it???? Not sure.... Yet....
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
For those that ride down South away from the PanAm countries I would strongly suggest getting the license, there are actually two that you can get, IIRC one works for Brazil where the other doesn't. Crossing out of Venezuela into Brazil at Santa Elena I was asked for my International Drivers license on the Brazil side along with my state issued drivers license that is required along with the international permit and damn it I didn't have just 10 or so days left on my OK drivers license and they weren't going to give me more time in country than my license was valid for Glad I only needed to go down to Manaus and drop off some tires or I would have been in a bit of a bind.

It's cheap to get them and you can get a little creative with them and make them last for more than a year using a rubber eraser

In Latin America they love their paper work so why not throw two more international drivers licenses at them Brazil was the only place so far that has ever asked for one btw Pan American side ought to be all clear.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Saved me $$$$$

While traveling through several countries I've never used it UNTIL I crossed into Peru from Bolivia. The Peruvian border police were looking for an easy buck. They asked to see not only my INTERNATIONAL license but yellow card, international insurance (purchases in the US), title, etc. They were really pissed when I had all the required documents. I left laughing and they were speechless. Just goes to show "be prepared" and smile as you give them everything they asked for. chow
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW1200 View Post
While traveling through several countries I've never used it UNTIL I crossed into Peru from Bolivia. The Peruvian border police were looking for an easy buck. They asked to see not only my INTERNATIONAL license but yellow card, international insurance (purchases in the US), title, etc. They were really pissed when I had all the required documents. I left laughing and they were speechless. Just goes to show "be prepared" and smile as you give them everything they asked for. chow
Chow ? Is it time for dinner ?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #21
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,764
There is no such thing as an international drivers license. What AAA offers is a translation of your license so that non english reading officials can understand what you are shwing them. It is why you have to bring your US license with you. Most countries have a time limit of around 90 days in which you can legally drive with your foreign license which is why it may be a good idea to keep your passport with you in case you need to prove your time of stay. Sp do you need it? NO. Will it be of any benefit? Possibly
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
^^Actually it is called an International Driver's Permit and yes I needed it to cross from Venezuela to Brazil.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
b4thenite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
got one

Just got it today

b4thenite is online now   Reply With Quote