Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #16
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Just about every computer, cellphone, iPad etc is using some kind of Lithium battery and they all have a circuit board that provides battery management/over/undercharge protection. So look to for next generation Lithium Iron Phosphate battery makers to build them into their batteries. Until they do, expect variable results.
Not that you would know anything about it, but when could we approximately expect the next gen stuff to come to the market?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Not that you would know anything about it, but when could we approximately expect the next gen stuff to come to the market?

Hmmmm. I just happen to be field testing one right now. Guessing it will be up on our redesigned site in 2 weeks. Models for all bikes....
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Hmmmm. I just happen to be field testing one right now. Guessing it will be up on our redesigned site in 2 weeks. Models for all bikes....
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Sounds like we need an electronic device that connects to the KTM Alt. output, between the bike and battery. It would have the ability to monitor the indervidial cells and charge accordingly ......... Thoughts ????
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #20
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m View Post
Sounds like we need an electronic device that connects to the KTM Alt. output, between the bike and battery. It would have the ability to monitor the indervidial cells and charge accordingly ......... Thoughts ????
Did you read what herrhelmet wrote just above?? This is exactly what he is talking about, built into the battery...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #21
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 591
i was wondering when this would catch on (balance chargers). I play with RC cars and helis and wondered how everyone was getting by just hooking them up to chargers without regards to the cells.

I wonder if my RC charger would work on the motorcycle batteries.. not a fancy unit but will do up to 6 cells (are the connectors the same as your basic balance chargers?)?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #22
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
i was wondering when this would catch on (balance chargers). I play with RC cars and helis and wondered how everyone was getting by just hooking them up to chargers without regards to the cells.

I wonder if my RC charger would work on the motorcycle batteries.. not a fancy unit but will do up to 6 cells (are the connectors the same as your basic balance chargers?)?

Those work....!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #23
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Did you read what herrhelmet wrote just above?? This is exactly what he is talking about, built into the battery...
But Lucas many of us have them already and would benefit with a stand alone device, which is what I am asking about. Not one built into another battery.

Would this work for example.....

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-t680-charger.html

The input voltage seams good, DC in 10v - 18v, but would it be robust enough for vehicle use ...... :-)

I'm chucking ideas about that's all.......... as I find this very interesting

K2m screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 02:33 AM
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #24
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m View Post
But Lucas many of us have them already and would benefit with a stand alone device, which is what I am asking about. Not one built into another battery.

Would this work for example.....

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-t680-charger.html

The input voltage seams good, DC in 10v - 18v, but would it be robust enough for vehicle use ...... :-)

I'm chucking ideas about that's all.......... as I find this very interesting
0.6 amp max is a bit weak for a vehicle. You need to get at least 1 amp into the battery. That's why Battery Tender Jrs.
don't really bring them back from a voltage drop. Yes of course we sell them. The other balance chargers like the one Ballistic sells require hooking up to the battery terminals plus the balance port on the battery.

These just plug right in to Shorai or any model with a balance port.

http://shop.testsycl.com/SYCL-CHARGE...HARBALA001.htm
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
KTM450SX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post

I actually have a bunch of RC trucks and Helicopters and a nice RC balance charger, that does Lipo, LIfe, NIMH, Nicad

How many cells are in the shorai? is there a balance plug I could use? ( My charger will balance up to 6 cells ). from .1 to 8amp charge rate.

If I could find a balance plug, I could at least try it see if I can bring it back.
I'm assuming I will have to charge it like a regular RC battery .. Plug the main +/- wires in, and additionally plug the balance port in ( if there is one? )
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
So, from what I've seen, expect a life from 1 year to forever. My 96 CBR900RR had the original battery when we sold it about 2 years ago. Very unheard of, really. As for the Shorai and it's counterparts, the dealers I've talked to have raved about them, the forums and owners seem a bit apprehensive. I'll wait, for now.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
I actually have a bunch of RC trucks and Helicopters and a nice RC balance charger, that does Lipo, LIfe, NIMH, Nicad

How many cells are in the shorai? is there a balance plug I could use? ( My charger will balance up to 6 cells ). from .1 to 8amp charge rate.

If I could find a balance plug, I could at least try it see if I can bring it back.
I'm assuming I will have to charge it like a regular RC battery .. Plug the main +/- wires in, and additionally plug the balance port in ( if there is one? )
If you have that kind of RC charger, and just need a connector to the battery? The charger should have a variety of plug ports on it.

Since you started this thread, I'd be happy to mail you a connector that plugs into a Shorai for just the cost of postage.

You might be able to bring it back if your RC charger has a "Fast Charge" 5amp option. Then you run the balance.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #28
KTM450SX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If you have that kind of RC charger, and just need a connector to the battery? The charger should have a variety of plug ports on it.

Since you started this thread, I'd be happy to mail you a connector that plugs into a Shorai for just the cost of postage.

You might be able to bring it back if your RC charger has a "Fast Charge" 5amp option. Then you run the balance.
I have this charger http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Cycler-6S-8A

Yes it has ports on the side of it.. all my RC batteries are 2 and 3 Cell LIPO's ( not Life) anyway I have ports up to 6 Cell. How many cells are in the Shoria battery?

Toss me a PM I'll take you up on that offer if you think it will work. Is it just a standard balance port? or something proprietary?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
I have this charger http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Cycler-6S-8A

Yes it has ports on the side of it.. all my RC batteries are 2 and 3 Cell LIPO's ( not Life) anyway I have ports up to 6 Cell. How many cells are in the Shoria battery?

Toss me a PM I'll take you up on that offer if you think it will work. Is it just a standard balance port? or something proprietary?
I sent you a PM, Haven't seen that one. I recognize the style of connector, but definitely RC only.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
KTM450SX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sent you a couple pics.

But i'm still wondering how many cells are in the shoria battery. and if I can just hook the Red and Black main wires from my charger via clamps onto the shoria battery..and use a standard balance plug from the shoria port to my charger.

I have not pulled the battery out of my bike to inspect the port hence all the weird questions mabye it will be obvious when I yank it out.

I can solder my own adapter if I have to. Just don't know what I need.

KTM450SX screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 08:11 PM
KTM450SX is online now   Reply With Quote