Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #151
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Not to mention the production costs of a shaft vs. a chain.
Actually I wonder, why no manufacturer has made an ADV bike with a “boxed” or enclosed chain drive?? It has only a few small downsides: takes a bit more work to adjust it, and it could make changing tyres a bit harder (that however depends on the solution).

But on the other hand, it has more or less all the upsides: simplicity, weight (the box does not need to weight much at all), and durability fully comparable to a shaft drive (I mean the good ones, that you DONīT need to work on too often!) Plus when it is inside a box, on oil bath and lubricated 100% all the time, it wonīt get dirty, and the need to even adjust it becomes very small. So regarding maintenance, it is almost like a well-working shaft drive.

Maybe it is a cost issue on a bike like the DL1000 (but I donīt believe it would be on all current large-capacity allroad-bikes). Also maybe all buyers would not like the looks of it. But if I was looking for a bike to go RTW, this kind of solution would be in one word perfect for me, and I could not care less about its looks.

There used to be enclosed chains on bikes, but that was a long time ago. Maybe the manufacturers donīt actually want the chains to last 40-60 thousand miles afterall, and the average user doesnīt care, if they last 20 or 40 thousand. But on a real RTW-tourer, this would be the way to go.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 11:18 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #152
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
OK...so I've seen it in real life yesterday on Intermot.

It does not look that bad. Kinda bearable if you do not look at 3/4 view. Rear strongly resembles BMWs GSes somehow closer to 800 GS.
Front strongly resembles multistrada with Diavel headlight.
Luggage they show on photos WILL make it very ugly. Without it - MUCH better.
Rest...
They used totally usual DL1000 motor and arrangement in it. Perhaps because it is concept.
Oil rad still hangs low-low, everything still quite exposed. Spacers, rear brake holder - all machined as one-off, you can see it - unpainted alloy with signs of machining.
Cockpit...that's where it gets ugly. It is large dull flat piece of plastic with clocks stuck in the middle surrounded by loads of empty plastic surface. I hope they will do something about it, as it looks kinda...like real cheap car door panel.

Rest - to be tested when available.
I hope it will be all you looking for guys! Best of luck. No sarcasm.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #153
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Actually I wonder, why no manufacturer has made an ADV bike with a “boxed” or enclosed chain drive?? It has only a few small downsides: takes a bit more work to adjust it, and it could make changing tyres a bit harder (that however depends on the solution).

But on the other hand, it has more or less all the upsides: simplicity, weight (the box does not need to weight much at all), and durability fully comparable to a shaft drive (I mean the good ones, that you DONīT need to work on too often!) Plus when it is inside a box, on oil bath and lubricated 100% all the time, it wonīt get dirty, and the need to even adjust it becomes very small. So regarding maintenance, it is almost like a well-working shaft drive.

Maybe it is a cost issue on a bike like the DL1000 (but I donīt believe it would be on all current large-capacity allroad-bikes). Also maybe all buyers would not like the looks of it. But if I was looking for a bike to go RTW, this kind of solution would be in one word perfect for me, and I could not care less about its looks.

There used to be enclosed chains on bikes, but that was a long time ago. Maybe the manufacturers donīt actually want the chains to last 40-60 thousand miles afterall, and the average user doesnīt care, if they last 20 or 40 thousand. But on a real RTW-tourer, this would be the way to go.

Here's a good look at the enclosed chain system on my slightly modified XV920 Yamaha.
I rode this on a 13,500 mile round trip and had 0 chain issues. The Shinko tires I used did not do well in mud though.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #154
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Here is the improvement Suzuki needs to do to the concept to make me buy it! (from stromtrooper.com)

Ahhhhh....much better!
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #155
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
Ahhhhh....much better!

Sorry, don't agree.

To me, the front end Suzuki uses on the new concept looks like they might have actually done some wind tunnel testing, whereas, we all know about the buffeting from previously built bikes.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #156
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Sorry, don't agree.

To me, the front end Suzuki uses on the new concept looks like they might have actually done some wind tunnel testing, whereas, we all know about the buffeting from previously built bikes.
There have been much less complaints about the buffeting on the 2012 Wee.

I still think the final 2014 Vee is going to have more resemblance to the newest Wee, than that concept bike has.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #157
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
After reading all of the looks comments I had to make sure I wasn't in a Harley thread on Road Warriors...

I like the new bike just fine, but it's not one I would trade my '05 Tiger for.

When I do get another adventure TOURING bike it will have a shaft drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #158
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
I really don't understand all the outrage about the design. All adventure bikes are just varying degrees of ugly, and for me, that's part of the charm in some way.

The only thing I'd like to see done differently are a change to dual headlights for both light output and to keep the V-Strom look, and something needs to be done about those passenger pegs. It looks like they'd get bent in a tip over from that head-on shot. Personally, I'd like to see the exhaust hanger/passenger pegs designed as bolt-on components, and not welded to the subframe.

Twilight's photochop was really well done, and I'd like to see something along those lines for the production unit.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #159
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
I really don't understand all the outrage about the design. All adventure bikes are just varying degrees of ugly, and for me, that's part of the charm in some way.
Don't you know, those who don't ride enough have plenty of time to bitch. Shaft vs. chain, beak no beak... it has been said about most others as well. If it performs well we will all be better off having more options to choose from.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #160
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post

The only thing I'd like to see done differently are a change to dual headlights for both light output and to keep the V-Strom look, and something needs to be done about those passenger pegs. It looks like they'd get bent in a tip over from that head-on shot. Personally, I'd like to see the exhaust hanger/passenger pegs designed as bolt-on components, and not welded to the subframe.

Twilight's photochop was really well done, and I'd like to see something along those lines for the production unit.
The 'concept' front end looks all marketing led, rather than utility led.

It is what is is: MS1200 sells, so make a MS1200-a-like front end. Voila, sales gold!

I guess if you have to hit quarterly sales-targets, then you will latch on to whatever sold well last quarter for your competitor?

Dealers/techs might do well from riders who do 12,000+ miles a year, but for the manufacturers I really doubt they give a fig once the warranty is up.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #161
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
But like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Just came back to this thread... Man do I like beeing right and see you regretting your words .

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #162
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

If you're referring to a "2013 DL1000", that by your info was published on some French magazine/website in January 2012, that is still wrong. For one thing, it's not coming for 2013. And they never reveal their next year's models in January, because it just would not make any sense. (That an updated DL1000 is coming at some point was not really hard to guess either, when you look at what others were doing). I think the French really had no clue, just speculation.

But don't get me wrong, this could well be my next bike, unless they screw up very badly on something (which I doubt they will).
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #163
Nightstrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Its a good looking bike except for the beak design. While I like the looks of the beak on the Ducati Multi and Triumph Tigers, they need to point it down a hair and reshape it. Wider and more squared off. If BMW's 1200 beak gets any bigger, its going to be like the old locomotives that had the cow catchers on the front. It will just scoop stuff out of your way as you ride down the road.
Nightstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #164
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Here's a bit of footage that shows the bike in the metal. Doesn't look too bad to me.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...12-highlights/
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #165
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Finally a shot from the left side.
What's the lump on the side of the head, just a mount or something more interesting ?.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote