Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #16021
Romatsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
OK, I just bought a new (to me) 2011 DRZ400S. I'm putting several new farkles on it and have a question. Putting new handle bars on I am replacing the grips (obviously) and I can not get the throttle side grip off. I have cut, pulled and done almost everything necessary to remove a grip, but it won't budge. Both ends a hard and I can't even get a small blade between the grip and throttle tube on the bar end.

Is the throttle side grip permanently fused to the throttle tube from the factory?

Do I need to buy a new throttle tube just to replace the grip?

Thanks for the help..........................
I ran into the same issue so I just went to town with the wire wheel on a bench grinder being careful to stop removing grip material when I got to the throttle tube. It did scuff up the throttle tube a bit but was not a big deal.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #16022
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romatsu View Post
I ran into the same issue so I just went to town with the wire wheel on a bench grinder being careful to stop removing grip material when I got to the throttle tube. It did scuff up the throttle tube a bit but was not a big deal.
Yeh, I did similar. The're a prick to get off. Simplest solution would be to buy a new tube
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #16023
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,484
Thanks guys.......I've never had this much trouble with grips.

Going to town today so I may just buy a new throttle tube, just in case my grinding gets to enthusiastic

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #16024
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Anyone use the SDG HI seat? How would you rate it for comfort on longer rides? I notice on rocky mountain this complete seat is cheaper then a seat concepts replacement cover.
I've had one for a year and a half. Absolutely no complaints. Single track to interstate highway, it's been flawless. Seat Concepts is good, but SDG works for me.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #16025
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romatsu View Post
Thats how the factory tube/grip is. Just buy a new tube.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #16026
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 508
OEM speedo unit - reading 0 mph

Quick question for the pros ...

On a ride a few weeks back, the stock speedo/odo unit went partially n/s. All lights and indicators work, but the speedo reads 0, and the odo count stays fixed.

I checked - cable and hub unit all seem ok - but I'm thinking cable itself must be damaged? There was no hits or falls on it ... other than that?

Thanks,

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #16027
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,488
Most likely a broken cable, ive been through 2 in 2 years. They usually break at the hub.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #16028
disgustipated
gnardogshredripper

Oddometer: 109
Speedo Hub Dealio

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
cable and hub unit all seem ok - but I'm thinking cable itself must be damaged? There was no hits or falls on it ... other than that?
Try repacking the speedo hub assembly with new grease. This summer I took my front wheel off at a buddy's and when I reinstalled it I used the grease he had laying around. His grease wasn't waterproof and for whatever reason the speedo assembly just quit reading mph and all that after a week or two. Eventually I took the wheel off again and it got repacked with BelRay waterproof grease and worked again just like it always had.
disgustipated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #16029
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Just finished to fix my new decal kit from Uni Racing, the bike looks new!!
I'm also very pleased with the None exhaust.

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #16030
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 137
Would soot build up around the exhaust valves be a sign of the valves starting to excessively wear? I adjusted the valves 15K + miles ago. I set the exhaust valves as close to 30 as possible but they are now reading 25 and 23...the bikes got around 30k miles

I'll adjust the valves now and check them after a few rides, Just wondering if the soot build up is common?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #16031
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Once the valves start tightening up on the OEM valves I would change them to Stainless Wiseco One Piece Valves. The Wisecos hold the settings very well and have been documented to hold adjustments for over 20k miles with no shimming required.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #16032
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Three View Post
Just wondering if the soot build up is common?

only when you are running too rich and riding too slow. needs an Italian tuneup every week to keep them clean. try freeway on ramps at full bore.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #16033
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel View Post
only when you are running too rich and riding too slow. needs an Italian tuneup every week to keep them clean. try passing your buddy in the loose stuff at full bore.
Fixed.

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #16034
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,886
One of the local inmates entered his DRZ into the Denver Endurocross this weekend.

While Taddy cleaned up on his Christini 2WD KTM, I can't help but wonder how much better he might have done on a DRZ. We'll probably never find out.

HellSickle screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 01:47 PM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #16035
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 137
I dont think the soot has anything to do with too much slow riding. I put on 12k in the month of July when i rode the TAT and have been riding hard since. Speedo gear stripped on me at the end of July but i have been ridding hard since

I'm probably running rich, as i've been struggling to get the right jetting since i did the 3x3mod...

Anyway, the hole reason I opened her up was to figure out why i've been hearing more engine noise. After watching some Youtube videos I thought I had a loose counter balance nut, but i've already checked that and it's still tight. Next of possibilitys was a stretched cam chain, I am still using the stock 2000 tensioner. After inspecting the cam chain it seemed tight and judging by the soot or whatever crap is all over everything the tensioner wasn't even fully extended.

I've also been getting a bunch of crap in the oil filter. Metal shavings, something red and some black stuff.

for scale

Any ideas whats going on with my DRZ? how do i check the cam chain guides for excessive wear?

My plan as of now is to replace the cam chain and the tensioner with a updated ACCT
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote